• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Girl throw puppies in a river and film herself

Status
Not open for further replies.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
qqwref2
Genesis 1:28b said:
Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground.
Not that that makes what she did OK. What she did is sick.
Why did you quote something that has absolutely no relevance to the topic?
It was aimed at the vegetarian thing, although I should've made that more clear. People seem to be concerned with animals at nearly the same level as human life, when they're not equal (biblically).
Don't change this to a religion thing. We have no idea what religion this person is nor is it relevant.
More importantly, we have no idea what religion the puppies are.

Whyusosrs?

So, killing animals for food, and killing animals for no reason, when there are perfectly humane ways to get rid of them (the pound) are the same morally?
:fp
The pound is not a humane way to kill animals. Gassing animals is not humane. I saw a picture once where a man who works at the pound was saying how horrible it was to have to gas the animals and would buy them all good food right before they had to die as a last meal. I can't find the picture now... The only humane way of killing an animal is a bullet. Done properly, it will be instantaneous.

EDIT: also, whoever said that they oppose the death penalty but would make an exception for this girl is a complete idiot. A person's life is less valuable then a dog's life? Screw your head on straight.

Owen

EDIT: also, whoever said that they oppose the death penalty but would make an exception for this girl is a complete idiot. A person's life is less valuable then a dog's life? Screw your head on straight.
I think that was a joke, or an exaggeration. It was not a serious comment.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
masterNZ
Jolly good! I come in and there's lots of juicy material to bite into. However I will only defend nitrocan for now as I have little time.

How is killing a vegetable better than killing an animal?

Sure it looks much more horrific when an animal gets slaughtered rather than some crops being collected but, what's the actual difference?
The same difference that there is between killing a human and a vegetable. Humans and animals have intelligence, sentience, and the will to live.
I would first like proof that animals have more "intelligence" than plants. I would second like proof that animals are "sentient", and plants are not. Thirdly, I would like proof that animals have "the will to live", and plants do not.

Basically what I'm saying is you just pulled a bunch of terms out of your ass with nothing to back it up.

Vegetables don't display things like consciousness, self-awareness (as in 'I amongst others'), or recognisable pain responses. There are plenty of scientific studies on the most popularly eaten animals in the western world (pigs, cows, sheep) that show the above.

The core of the argument isn't 'killing animals is wrong'. It's 'causing unnecessary pain or death to conscious beings is wrong'.

Read the section on meat in Douglas Hofstadter's 'I Am A Strange Loop' for a very clear explanation...
First, define "consciousness". Second, prove that animals show "self-awareness" (you might care to define the term more clearly than you have done as well). I know there are the "elephants recognise themselves in the mirror" claims, but I have seen counter-arguments to the "self-recognition" theory that I have been convinced by. Thirdly, what is sap, but a recognisable pain response?

Siraj A.

WCA
2007ALIS01
Jolly good! I come in and there's lots of juicy material to bite into. However I will only defend nitrocan for now as I have little time.

Sure it looks much more horrific when an animal gets slaughtered rather than some crops being collected but, what's the actual difference?
The same difference that there is between killing a human and a vegetable. Humans and animals have intelligence, sentience, and the will to live.
I would first like proof that animals have more "intelligence" than plants. I would second like proof that animals are "sentient", and plants are not. Thirdly, I would like proof that animals have "the will to live", and plants do not.
I think a better justification is to say animals can feel pain because they have nerves, but plants have no nerves!

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04

I think a better justification is to say animals can feel pain because they have nerves, but plants have no nerves!
Plants still respond to outside stimuli and yes, to stress. It's not as if they are completely unaware of what happens to them.

Siraj A.

WCA
2007ALIS01
Plants still respond to outside stimuli and yes, to stress. It's not as if they are completely unaware of what happens to them.
Touché.

I'm not sure why the morality of killing plants vs humans vs other animals is being debated though. Bottom line: Puppies are cute. This video is sad.

Igora

So, killing animals for food, and killing animals for no reason, when there are perfectly humane ways to get rid of them (the pound) are the same morally?
:fp
The pound is not a humane way to kill animals. Gassing animals is not humane. I saw a picture once where a man who works at the pound was saying how horrible it was to have to gas the animals and would buy them all good food right before they had to die as a last meal. I can't find the picture now... The only humane way of killing an animal is a bullet. Done properly, it will be instantaneous.
That's why I said "GID RID of them" not kill them, I'm comparing killing animals for food vs. killing animals for no reason, when you don't have to and can just give them to a pound.

sub_zero1983

Wow....I'm at a loss for words. I understand that there are times when we human beings have to either kill an animal for food, or put one out of its missery due to some serious injury. But that girl is....well I'm not going to say what I think, I might get banned, but i m sure everyone gets the idea of how I feel. Personally I feel that every person that mistreat's any animal should be locked up for life.

Jude

WCA
2008WRIG02
It's like the story of the hippo.

The hippopotamus, he is not born
going, "Cool bean, I am a hippo."
No way, José.

So he tried to paint the stripe on himself
to be like the zebra, but he fool no one.

And then he tried to put the spot
on his skin to be like the leopard,

but everyone know he is a hippo.

So at certain point,
he look himself in the mirror,
and hejust say,

"Hey, I am a hippopotamus,
and there is nothing I can do about it."

And as soon as he accepts this,
he live life happy.

Happy as a hippo.

You understand?