• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Geneva Open 2008

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol i got a 6 move solution in the UK Open and completely failed to utilise it at all. i got so excited i locked up massively and got a 4.13. still, nobody else seemed to see it and i got second best solve of the comp...
anyway, well done erik and eduoard!

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Don't forget Sheriff who got what's probably the fastest solve with a +2 penalty ever. I am jealous:D

Zava

WCA
2007BERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
at hungarian open, we had a 8 move EG case as scramble (white was already done, with an adjacent swap) we asked for another scramble because we found it easy...
anyway, congrats Erik! világrekord! :)

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol lucky lucky, but hey.. luck is not a crime ;)
Scramble #2 of finals: F' U' F' R2 F2 R U2 R' U F U R2 U F' U2 F2 R' U R F' R U2 R2 U' F
Solution: x2 U R' U' R U R' U'
hint: got to know your sexy moves to see what will happen in inspection...

Can't say I'm proud of it, was too easy, but at least I'm the first person to get WRs on all of the cubes now :D

Actually Arnaud and me were very sure it was 8 moves, but apparently it was only 7? But it was 8 moves! But actually it wasnt....??

Did you know?

Erik and Arnaud are still talking in English although they are alone and at Arnaud's place now?
Switzerland has no mountains when it's dark outside? But a lot when the light is on?
People in Switzerland drive too.....strict to the rules?
Swiss gas is cheap?
Swiss alcohol is Expensive? (with a captical E)
About everything else in Switzerland is also expensive?
Empty parking places in Switzerland occur less often than a sub-10 on 3x3?
We (Arnaud, Sébastien and Erik) arrived at Svens place at 1:30?
Sven was not even there?
Instead of that a French guy opened the door???? (clement)
Swiss are known for their good clocks but not for their punctuality?
This is because we were running 3 hours behind on schedule?
Kate Voegele makes good music? (click to check myspace)
We did an average of 5 listening to it? (the whole album!)
We also played Luther Vandross once?
Other artists that came by were Offspring and.. well just Offspring? :)
Arnaud has a LOT of music on his iPOD?
Erik couldn't find much GOOD music on it though?
Erik will now make a list for Arnaud with artists he considers good?
You should check out these results of Arnaud and Charlie?

(bold are the averages)
(Germany 2008) Arnaud van Galen 18.25 25.53 Netherlands 25.71 26.66 24.21 18.25 26.77
(Germany 2008) Charlie Cooper 21.84 25.53 United Kingdom 24.41 21.84 24.59 30.09 27.58

(UK open 2008) Charlie Cooper 21.59 23.81 United Kingdom 21.59 21.75 24.53 25.16 27.84
(Geneva open 2008) Arnaud van Galen 21.13 23.81 Netherlands 21.13 22.11 23.90 26.93 25.41

Speaking of a equal marriage...

Last edited:

Waynilein

I couldn't come to this competition, but hopefully I'll be able to go to the Swiss Open in January... I'd love to meet some of you guys IRL ^^.

People in Switzerland drive too.....strict to the rules?

Pretty much everything, not just driving :(

Other artists that came by were Offspring and.. well just Offspring? :)

Offspring is awesome. Offspring is AWESOME.

Doudou

WCA
2004CHAM01
Erik, you're right, that's 7 moves. Is this scramble the official scramble ?

About videos, someone (Fédérico I think) recorded the best time of the comp (my 10.52), that's all that I know.

Laetitia

WCA
2007LEMO01
Did you know...

I wake up earlier during the week-ends than during the week ? (my train on saturday was at 7 am...) ?
My megaminx solves in the train from Lyon to Geneva were sub-1:30 and without pop, and my solves at the competition were sup-1:30 and with a pop on the last ?
I popped 3 times in the semifinal of 3x3x3, with a cube that never pops ?
I went to Geneva with 2 megaminxes, and went back from Lausanne with 4 ?
Now I have to break in 3 megaminxes so I have to teach people in my school how to solve a megaminx ? :D
It was difficult to scramble 2x2x2 in the final because everybody not in the final wanted to see the second scramble and try it?
We were late, so at the end on the competition : "Well, I have to take the last train to Lyon.... 45 minutes ago, I think I will stay in Switzerland tonight" ?
Finally, I stayed at Sven's place, with Clément, Arnaud, Sebastien, Erik and François ?
We asked Sven to practise clock, because he is Swiss and it would be normal if Swiss were good at clock :D ?
The organisation of this competition will count for the "maturité" (which is the Swiss equivalent of A-level, or High-school diploma) of the organisers ! ? (I'm jealous, I want that cubing competitions count for my master)

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I went to Geneva with 2 megaminxes, and went back from Lausanne with 4 ?
I went to Switzerland with four megaminxes and came back with four. But not the same four :D
Now I own seven megaminxes of six different types. Laetitia, I'm better than you in at least one thing involving megaminx :p

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know...

The organisation of this competition will count for the "maturité" (which is the Swiss equivalent of A-level, or High-school diploma) of the organisers ! ? (I'm jealous, I want that cubing competitions count for my master)

I think they did a sufficient job, but it could have been so much better if they would have been more "present". I missed a seperate competitors area, time-control and judges just to name a few.

Doudou

WCA
2004CHAM01
They already had big problems with the computer... And I think they did their best.
That was their first competition ever, and that can explain few things...

Another big problem was how hard it was to find judges and scramblers. And the organization team did his best to find some people.

Another great thanks to Clément. I think he deserves the WR to "Most help given during a competition".