• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Full ZB - 7.60 Official Average

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
Really impressive.
And excuse my ignorance, but how does ZBLS work? Is it a set of algs or more of an F2L approach a la "it becomes algorithmic with experience"?
How do you think that system now compares to your standard CFOP times?

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Really impressive.
And excuse my ignorance, but how does ZBLS work? Is it a set of algs or more of an F2L approach a la "it becomes algorithmic with experience"?
How do you think that system now compares to your standard CFOP times?
It is a set of algorithms that orientates edges while solving the last pair. It's not like F2L, although there are a couple of intuitive cases. And in terms of statistics, it's definitely better than normal CFOP.

And good job Anthony! You're finally showing the potential of ZB!

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is a set of algorithms that orientates edges while solving the last pair. It's not like F2L, although there are a couple of intuitive cases. And in terms of statistics, it's definitely better than normal CFOP.

And good job Anthony! You're finally showing the potential of ZB!

Thanks! To address his questions and your answers:

- ZBLS is the alg set which solves final pair and orients edges, but I find that the former name, ZBF2L, is a more comprehensive description as I sometimes use ZBLS algs on 2nd/3rd pair.

- As far as the “better than CFOP?” argument... No one ever pushed ZB far enough along in development (let alone in mastery) to make claims outside of theoretical estimates (which I’ve come to realize are largely misinformed/incorrect). I’ll leave it at that for now.

Congrats on the first comp with 3 7sec avgs. Was this the first time with all 5 solves in an avg as full ZB?

Thanks PJK! It wasn’t the first time (I’ve done this a few times with slower times and Tao Yu has a 9.xx official average with ZB on YouTube), but it’s the first time ZB has been used to achieve a “world class” average (defining the “world class” benchmark as a result which would rank a competitor top 100 in the world). My two other 7 averages at this comp used ZB 3-4 times each.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
\
Thanks PJK! It wasn’t the first time (I’ve done this a few times with slower times and Tao Yu has a 9.xx official average with ZB on YouTube), but it’s the first time ZB has been used to achieve a “world class” average (defining the “world class” benchmark as a result which would rank a competitor top 100 in the world). My two other 7 averages at this comp used ZB 3-4 times each.
Awesome Anthony - impressive feat. I admire how long you've persevered in improving, keep up the good work. And also great work on promoting speedcubing to the world.