• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frequently Asked Questions About WCA Competitions

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a related question. Sometimes when judging, the competitor has their hands already on the timer at 8 seconds. When I was new to judging, I felt that if I call 8 seconds just as they start to solve, I might distract them, so I would not call it. However, occasionally the competitor pauses with their hands on the the timer for 2-3 seconds. If I did not call 8 seconds, what should I do?

I once asked a delegate and he said if I miss 8 and they pause, call 9 or 10, but that might be even more distracting. These days, I just always call 8 seconds regardless, but I'm curious what other people think.
I was the same. I'd not call if they had their hands on the timer but I had a couple of competitors pausing so now I just call it. I figure people should be expecting it.
There was a video of dodgy judging recently where a judge kept calling time after the solve had started.

Liquorice

Question: 3x3 event is not scheduled on the 1st day of my first event, only 2nd day. Can I still get official 3x3 results on the 1 st day?
I imagine the events being people competing each other, but I've seen a lot of youtube videos where speedcubers get official results with a judge, with people walking around as if it wasn't a scheduled event, but I'm probably mistaking?

WCA
2013BARK01
Question: 3x3 event is not scheduled on the 1st day of my first event, only 2nd day. Can I still get official 3x3 results on the 1 st day?
I imagine the events being people competing each other, but I've seen a lot of youtube videos where speedcubers get official results with a judge, with people walking around as if it wasn't a scheduled event, but I'm probably mistaking?
Many competitions have a heat system for all events. For example, you might be in heat 4 for 3x3. If 3x3 were scheduled for 1 PM to 3 PM and there were 12 heats, your heat would probably be called at around 1:30. People walking around might be competitors who are waiting for their turn or competitors who are not competing in that heat.

Liquorice

Many competitions have a heat system for all events. For example, you might be in heat 4 for 3x3. If 3x3 were scheduled for 1 PM to 3 PM and there were 12 heats, your heat would probably be called at around 1:30. People walking around might be competitors who are waiting for their turn or competitors who are not competing in that heat.
Okay, so if I'm only interested in the 3x3 event, I should only meet up on day 2. Thanks; it's a long train ride, so I save a lot of time.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so if I'm only interested in the 3x3 event, I should only meet up on day 2. Thanks; it's a long train ride, so I save a lot of time.

You should contact the competition Organizers to be sure accommodations can be made. They'll confer with the delegate to be sure you don't need to be present for Check In. Be sure to let them know when you expect to arrive.

I'm guessing this is going to be your first competition. What you've seen in the YouTube videos is part of the story. It'll all make much more sense once you're actually there. There are always people walking around doing something at a comp.

Am I required to know how to solve all of the puzzles in all of the events? I know that's probably a stupid question, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else. I ask this question mainly because I don't know how to do some of the events like megaminx, OH, and Blindfolded and all that stuff. I probably am going to learn that stuff but would it be possible to walk in without that knowledge and do the competition?

hotufos

WCA
2016TYBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Absolutely! You only sign up for the events you want to compete in. If you don't know how to solve a megaminx, don't sign up for it and there will be no expectation of you solving it. The events listed for a competition are the events available and people choose to compete in whichever events they want to.

Clément B.

WCA
2018BURG13
Hey everyone !
I'd like to organize a comp, and I'm currently 15 yo.
I was just wondering if there is an age limit, or a minimum age you need to have to organize a comp ?

Hazel

Premium Member
Hey everyone !
I'd like to organize a comp, and I'm currently 15 yo.
I was just wondering if there is an age limit, or a minimum age you need to have to organize a comp ?
I don't think so. Source: I'm 16 and also trying to organize a comp. Get in touch with the closest delegate to you and they can help you out, but I reccomend trying to do as much of it yourself as possible so that they're more likely to want to help (i.e. figure out where and when you'd want to hold it, approx. number of competitors, which events you'd want to hold, etc)

kubesolver

Premium Member
If i solve a 3x3 in 40 seconds will I be that one dude whos taking forever and make a fool of myself?
No.
You likely won't be the only one. It's quite usual to see beginners at the comp.
Even though it's a competition you're mostly competing with yourself and you won't annoy anyone just by taking long time to solve a 3x3x3.

However I would say that in today's climate where competitions are rare and registrations fill in 5 minutes you should consider if you want to occupy a spot at the 10-event comp if you only wish to participate in 3x3x3.
But that's actually a hard moral dilemma. I would be happy if organizers of comps would express their attitude towards that issue.

No.
You likely won't be the only one. It's quite usual to see beginners at the comp.
Even though it's a competition you're mostly competing with yourself and you won't annoy anyone just by taking long time to solve a 3x3x3.

However I would say that in today's climate where competitions are rare and registrations fill in 5 minutes you should consider if you want to occupy a spot at the 10-event comp if you only wish to participate in 3x3x3.
But that's actually a hard moral dilemma. I would be happy if organizers of comps would express their attitude towards that issue.
good to know

Discomantis

WCA
2022ROGE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going to register for a competition and the registration is open tomorrow and I haven't gone to a competition. However I already signed up for another competition that happens before the competition that I am going to sign up for. Is it going to be a problem that I am going to sign up as a first timer but I will have already gone to a competition and already have a WCA ID by the time I get to the competition that signing up for?