• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frequently Asked Questions About WCA Competitions

jackrusso

US Nationals Question

Nationals 2016 is coming close to me this year. I'm super in to cubing but my average 3x3 is only 43 seconds. I want to go to nats but I dont necessarily want to compete. Is it still fun? Or should I practice and try to compete?

morax86

Question about going to a WCA compeititon

Hi there, I don't know if this is the right place to post something like this but I have a question about going to competitions. In the regulations, it states that anyone under 18 must have parents permission to compete. Do I have to bring my parents to the competition in order to compete?

JoshJumble

WCA
2015WANG50
YouTube
Visit Channel
Question about judging

When the competitor reaches 12 seconds of inspection, does the judge call "12 seconds" or "Go"? At my last competition, they said "12 seconds", but in the CubingUSA competition guide, as well as in Drew Brads' 2.56 former Pyra WR average, the judge says "Go". So, which one is it supposed to be? Or can it be either?

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Question about judging

When the competitor reaches 12 seconds of inspection, does the judge call "12 seconds" or "Go"? At my last competition, they said "12 seconds", but in the CubingUSA competition guide, as well as in Drew Brads' 2.56 former Pyra WR average, the judge says "Go". So, which one is it supposed to be? Or can it be either?

I thought of this a few days ago, the regulations say "12 seconds", but the competitor should know what you mean either way so it doesn't really matter.

TcubesAK

Question about judging

This is section A3d of the WCA regulations.
  • A3d) At the end of the inspection, the competitor places the puzzle on the mat, in any orientation. Penalty for placing it outside the mat: time penalty (+2 seconds).
    • A3d2) When 8 seconds of inspection have elapsed, the judge calls "8 SECONDS".
    • A3d3) When 12 seconds of inspection have elapsed, the judge calls "12 SECONDS".

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a related question. Sometimes when judging, the competitor has their hands already on the timer at 8 seconds. When I was new to judging, I felt that if I call 8 seconds just as they start to solve, I might distract them, so I would not call it. However, occasionally the competitor pauses with their hands on the the timer for 2-3 seconds. If I did not call 8 seconds, what should I do?

I once asked a delegate and he said if I miss 8 and they pause, call 9 or 10, but that might be even more distracting. These days, I just always call 8 seconds regardless, but I'm curious what other people think.

TcubesAK

I have a related question. Sometimes when judging, the competitor has their hands already on the timer at 8 seconds. When I was new to judging, I felt that if I call 8 seconds just as they start to solve, I might distract them, so I would not call it. However, occasionally the competitor pauses with their hands on the the timer for 2-3 seconds. If I did not call 8 seconds, what should I do?

I once asked a delegate and he said if I miss 8 and they pause, call 9 or 10, but that might be even more distracting. These days, I just always call 8 seconds regardless, but I'm curious what other people think.

If you were to miss calling "8 seconds" and they pause, you might as well just wait to call "12 seconds" if they pause for long enough.

JoshJumble

WCA
2015WANG50
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think that instead of calling 9 or 10, just call 8. I mean, no competitor is gonna count to make sure that 4 seconds pass between 8 and 12. This way, the competitor won't get confused.

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Question about judging

The correct way to do it was already posted as reply. The reason why you see people say "Go!" in older videos is because tbat was the way the regulations were written, they had "Go!" defined for 12 seconds. That was fixed.

I think that instead of calling 9 or 10, just call 8. I mean, no competitor is gonna count to make sure that 4 seconds pass between 8 and 12. This way, the competitor won't get confused.
You should always say 8 and/or 12 seconds regardless if the competitor is deeply focused or snoring.
Those regulations don't depend on what the competitor is doing.

JoshJumble

WCA
2015WANG50
YouTube
Visit Channel
The correct way to do it was already posted as reply. The reason why you see people say "Go!" in older videos is because tbat was the way the regulations were written, they had "Go!" defined for 12 seconds. That was fixed.

You should always say 8 and/or 12 seconds regardless if the competitor is deeply focused or snoring.
Those regulations don't depend on what the competitor is doing.
Okay, my post about 8 seconds might have been unclear. What I meant was you should call 8 later if you end up forgetting to call 8 seconds. Also, about the first question, someone posted the answer before I even asked the question?