• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fixing a messed up cross

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Every couple hundred solves I completely mess up the cross by usually not aligning the edges with the centers. I would always get angry and give up on the solve. Of course I should just get better at watching for that, but I didn't realize until now that I could just flip the cube over and do an H perm or Z perm at the end to fix it... or if I accidentally switch Blue and Green during the cross that the top layer won't line up either and I can just do M2 U2 M2 U2 to fix everything. I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads but finding it out by trial and error was quite satisfying. Hopefully I don't mess up the cross that much in the future, but now that I know it is an easy fix I am not so bothered by it. I went and tested a bunch of different possibilities and all of them are easily fixable in the end.

Does anyone else who uses CFOP have this problem once and awhile? I'm sure anyone using roux sees this as obvious.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My favorite such mistake (or rather, my solution for it) is the case where you misaligned the cross by a D-turn. Have you tried that one?

I mean after I have already done F2L I see the mistake.
I usually am so focused on looking ahead and letting my fingers do the work that I don't see the mistake I just made and have already inserted at least a few pairs.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Occasionally I'll intentionally switch the FD and BD edges and solve them either during the LL or simply during F2L, more often the latter. But only if there's a really fast/easy cross solution that gives me that. But otherwise, that never really happens to me. Just be more mindful of your cross, BLD crosses can help with that. (Among a lot of other things)

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I don't see how it's unclear, but ok...

Solve the cross.
Misalign with a D turn.
Solve F2L (maybe also OLL) as if the cross were solved.
Fix the cross.

Need a D to align cross: M2 S2 U M2 S2

Need a D' to align cross: M2 S2 U' M2 S2

The M2 S2 can be changed to S2 M2 if it's more convenient for you.

Last edited: