• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Finished my wood puzzle cube

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
I'm not sure exactly that i'm interested in selling it (right now at least) seeing that it's just been finished; but I am curious. What would one pay for something like this?

Dimension wise, it's 4 x 4 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches almost.

If I were to start making boxes like this to sell, I'd have to make them faster. This one probably took me 40/50some hours to complete. That times minimum wage = a lot of labor charge. Maybe not such fancy paneling either; that alone took me forever to cut, sand, and fit each piece individually while still ensuring that it functions.

Or if somebody did offer up an extraordinary amount for one... what are you guys' thoughts on this? Legit Hakone-region puzzle boxes run several hundreds of dollars for ~30 steps, maybe way less. Idk.

Whoaa, I think I met you at Cubetcha :p (I remembered you from your fedora)

OT, I really like it.

I think you did....((grey sweatshirt? Canada?)); and thank you :)

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a feeling you'll be hard-pressed to get a decent price from someone on here, simply because there aren't enough people on here with lots of money they want to get rid of. But I do suspect you could get a decent price somewhere for it, if only you could find a good place to sell it.

It's possible there might be a couple of interested people on the TwistyPuzzles forum. Most of them prefer twisty puzzles, but there are definitely quite a few collectors over there that aren't afraid to spend a lot on a puzzle.

Regardless, I'd be proud of it - it's a very impressive accomplishment. It seems like it would be very hard to figure out from scratch without ripping it apart.

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
Bumping with new news....I just completed my second puzzle box. This one takes somewhere around 200 moves to open. Will post a video in the next couple weeks here...

aaronb

Bumping with new news....I just completed my second puzzle box. This one takes somewhere around 200 moves to open. Will post a video in the next couple weeks here...

Wow, how long did this one take you? The last one was incredible, I can't wait to see this one. :)

Edit: Wow, I just read on a puzzle box devoted website, "Most Japanese personal secret boxes have a variety of difficulties, ranging from 4 to 66 moves. A few large puzzle boxes have exceptional numbers of moves, such as 78, 122, 119, or 125." If this one has about 200, that is really impressive :)

Also, how do you figure out the number of moves it takes? Is it a mathematical calculation, or do you just figure out how to solve it, and base it on that?

Last edited:

bselena

For the past couple of months, I have actually been fancying a lot of wooden puzzles as well. And they seem to be very prominent in my area. There are dedicated shops which actual deal with them. There are even some using strings and a ball at the end but I am not too sure how you are going to make use of that one.

I wonder how I could possibly try one on my own.

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
I'm so sorry I didn't reply to this...didn't see it buried in the threads and I thought I had subscribed to this one.

When I make these, I plan in my head to just try and maximize move count. I'll have a rough estimate, but i'll never know until it's all finished and I solve it, counting the number of steps.

I finally did a better count, and it ends up just about 230. o_O

It took me two weeks to make; under 20 hours total.