• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Feel of cube changes every few days

ColeTen99

does anyone else have issues where there cube feels great one day and then a day later feels like a totally different cube?

BillyRain

Premium Member
WCA
2012JEFF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes I do. But I put it down to the variable (My body/hands).

Temperature of your hands or how "warmed up" you are will play a big part in this. At least it does for me.

Sometimes when I sit down for a session, at the start my cube will feel awful in my hands and I will lock up and stuff. But after 50 solves or so It can start to feel amazing.

ColeTen99

Yes I do. But I put it down to the variable (My body/hands).

Temperature of your hands or how "warmed up" you are will play a big part in this. At least it does for me.

Sometimes when I sit down for a session, at the start my cube will feel awful in my hands and I will lock up and stuff. But after 50 solves or so It can start to feel amazing.

When I solve its not my hands that feel different, its the cube. ill have days were my chilong is fast and days were its sluggish

mDiPalma

The ambient temperature has the largest effect on this.

The viscosity of the lubricant/humidity in contact with the pieces is highly sensitive to temperature changes.

If you leave your cube near your computers heat exhaust for a few minutes, you will recognize this immediate change in cube performance/feel.

Fawn

For me, the feel of my puzzles only seriously change when I do no maintenance for a few months. All I have to do is clean 'em out and it's all fine. Also, as people have already said in this thread, temperature plays a relatively significant part of performance.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you leave your cube near your computers heat exhaust for a few minutes, you will recognize this immediate change in cube performance/feel.

People used to use hair dryers to warm up their cubes and get the lube all lube-y. And by holding them near lamp bulbs. Be careful though... I know at least one person that ruined a cube this way. The plastic started to warp.