• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fairly New To Speedcubing, Have A Set Of Questions I Want To Ask

Apologies in advance if any of my questions have been answered prior to this :p

1. I have a good feeling that this has been asked already, but how long would it take for a normal person to learn CFOP? Please just an estimate.

2. I've heard being color neutral is really helpful. I was just wondering what ways I can be color neutral besides switching colors every 20 or so solves.

3. I'm currently at the beginning stage of learning CFOP, I'm still learning F2L, I'll say I pretty much have it most down, and I was wondering if it was normal when I use F2L and I get slower times and avgs? I'm guessing it takes time to get used to?

4. I mean i guess it boils down to practice for number 3, but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for easier implementation of F2L into my solves, so it basically becomes an instinct to execute F2L.

5. A wierd question but on bigger cubes my fingers get in the way while i execute turns, I was wondering if someone else had this problem and how was it resolved.

6. I'm currently planning to watch youtuber's tutorials on F2L and after I've memorized, I'd move on to memorizing cases from the wiki, and yes I mean all of them. I was wondering which youtuber's has provided the best and most diverse tutorial, diverse as in different algs, and tons of cases.

Again, apologies if any of my questions have already been answered. :p

Last edited:

brian724080

1. I have a good feeling that this has been asked already, but how long would it take for a normal person to learn CFOP? Please just an estimate.
If you want to learn CFOP, you really just have to know how to do intuitive F2L, so that may take you a few weeks to understand and use in solves. However, if you want full CFOP, you'll have to memorize all 57 OLLs and 21 PLLs, and you're the only person that would know how long that would take you. Algorithms may seem like a pain to memorize, but they're actually quite easy if you just execute them over and over again (just a little tip).

2. I've heard being color neutral is really helpful. I was just wondering what ways I can be color neutral besides switching colors every 20 or so solves.
That's not what you do to become color neutral. If you want to become color neutral, you have to learn to do the F2L using every color scheme (there's only six in the case of CFOP). In addition, you have to scan the cube for the best cross to start with during inspection. Obviously, the only way you can train yourself to be color neutral is to force yourself to do solves using an unfamiliar color scheme.

3. I'm currently at the beginning stage of learning CFOP, I'm still learning F2L, I'll say I pretty much have it most down, and I was wondering if it was normal when I use F2L and i get slower times and avgs? I mean i guess it boils down to practice but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for easier implementation of F2L into my solves, so it basically becomes an instinct to execute F2L.
Yes, it is normal to slow down. Just practice!

4. I mean i guess it boils down to practice for number 3, but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for easier implementation of F2L into my solves, so it basically becomes an instinct to execute F2L.
Avoid learning algorithms at the beginning. You should avoid learning algorithms once you get intuitive F2L too. Only use the algorithms as a reference, and memorize them only if they help. You don't even have to time yourself when you're just starting off, you can improve rapidly by toying with your cube and really thinking about difficult cases. With that, you will observe improvement even though you haven't been timing yourself.

5. A wierd question but on bigger cubes my fingers get in the way while i execute turns, I was wondering if someone else had this problem and how was it resolved.
I'm not sure what you mean by your fingers get in the way? Maybe you can do some slow turns and see how you can fix it? I'm not trivializing your issue, but I don't understand your problem. Perhaps a video would help?

6. I'm currently planning to watch youtuber's tutorials on F2L and after I've memorized, I'd move on to memorizing cases from the wiki, and yes I mean all of them. I was wondering which youtuber's has provided the best and most diverse tutorial, diverse as in different algs, and tons of cases.
You don't memorize algorithms - go to #4

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's very hard to say. Everyone learns at different rates. There are some people on here who learn two or three algs a day, but I learn two or three a week. It really just depends on how hard you try. If you put in enough effort you can learn CFOP in a month, but for most people it can take 3-4 months (one alg a day isn't that hard).
Whenever you're doing untimed solves, practise using other colours. Avoid the cross colour you use most. If you used to only use one colour, then try using the colour opposite to it for a while; that should be the easiest to get to the same speed. Other colours are harder, so you may need to practise them more.
3. I'm currently at the beginning stage of learning CFOP, I'm still learning F2L, I'll say I pretty much have it most down, and I was wondering if it was normal when I use F2L and I get slower times and avgs? I'm guessing it takes time to get used to?
Yes, it's very normal. I've taught a few people F2L and seen other people at school learn it too, and they've all got slower after switching to F2L. I did too. But if you practise it for a while then it will definitely become faster. It's about 2/3 of the moves you do in LBL.
Practise. It's worth it, even if you have to be slower for a bit. It's similar with switching method to e.g. Roux/ZZ. You're slower for a while, but soon you reach your old times, and then you improve even more.
I don't understand this, do you have a video?
Learn F2L intuitively. You'll learn a lot more that way. algdb.net is one of my favourite websites, because the algs aren't outdates like others are, and you can even see how many people use each alg, so you know which one's best. If you're looking for algs, look there.
(but learn it intuitively first!)

yes, I know I was ninjad, but I'd written out half my reply before I was interrupted, and when I came back brian had posted, but I finished it anyway

brian724080

yes, I know I was ninjad, but I'd written out half my reply before I was interrupted, and when I came back brian had posted, but I finished it anyway

Interesting how our responses are almost identical...