• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

F2L Trainer Interest Check

Do you like this idea

• Yes I would use it

Votes: 41 83.7%
  • Yes but as a F2L god I don't need it

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't have any apps when I started speedsolving, so here is my learning process:

When I started, I printed badmephisto's algs for f2l and a list of scrambles. I would apply a scramble, solve the cross then look for a case and then apply the alg trying to understand what was going on. I learned the 42 cases this way. Then I started to understand that the algs overllaped and reduced to other basic cases.

With my discoveries I created this notation for f2l, based on reduction:
http://filipeteixeira.com.br/cube/?section=f2l
http://filipeteixeira.com.br/cube/f2l.pdf (PDF)

Next phase was to learn to reduce rotations, so I would scramble <R, U> by hand and try to solve it <R, U> again. I then found new algs by solving intuitively the f2l, then I learned full OLL and reached sub20.

Maybe you can use some of those ideas, mainly <R, U> and <L, U> when possible and scrambling whole cube to solve on 4 slots from every angle, because that's what is going to happen on real solves. not just solving DFR every time, that doesn't help, maybe leave that as an option.

Last edited:
I didn't have any apps when I started speedsolving, so here I my learning process:

When I started, I printed badmephisto's algs for f2l and a list o scrambles. I would apply a scramble, solve the cross then look for a case and then apply the alg trying to understand what was going on. I learned the 42 cases this way. Then I started to understand that the algs overllaped and reduced to other basic cases.

With my discoveries I created this notation for f2l, based on reduction:
http://filipeteixeira.com.br/cube/?section=f2l
http://filipeteixeira.com.br/cube/f2l.pdf (PDF)

Next phase was to learn to reduce rotations, so I would scramble <R, U> by hand and try to solve it <R, U> again. I then found new algs by solving intuitively the f2l, then I learned full OLL and reached sub20.

Maybe you can use some of those ideas, mainly <R, U> and <L, U> when possible and scrambling whole cube to solve on 4 slots from every angle, because that's what is going to happen on real solves. not just solving DFR every time, that doesn't help, maybe leave that as an option.

Thank you for your sharing your experience. It's interesting because it's close to what we are doing, we had a similar train of thought when we started making the app. We hope to be able to help beginners achieve what you've done by yourself, making it easier for everyone to practice and learn better solutions.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in love T_T
the app is so polished and easy to use! congratulations for your work!

It would be great to have a comments section so we could share other algs and have votes for comments, like this algs:

setupmy solution

F' (U F U' F') U2 F

(R' F R F') (R U' R' U) (R U' R')

F' U' (F U2 F' U) F U'

U' r U' R' U R U r'

(R U' R' U') (R' F R F') U'

U2 R2 U2 R' U' R U' R2

F' U (F U F' U') F U'

M' U' R U R' U2 R U' r'

(R U' R' U') (F R' F' R) U'

l U L F' L' U' l'

(F' U' F U) (F' U F U2)

F' L' U2 L F

R' U' R2 U' R2 U2 R

(R U' R' U) (R U' R') U2 (R U' R')

(R U R') F (R U R' U') F'

U' R U R2' F R F' R U' R'

Last edited:

SolvingRubik

This looks great!

I love the SVG paths defining the stickers to look like modern speedcube faces. What this created manually? Or are you able to generate a side given different viewing angles etc...

I started by creating a data structure representing the cube, then looked at how every single move was affecting my real cube and finally, I created functions to manipulate my data accordingly.

One and a half days later it's fully functional, I can input an algorithm and apply it to the cube. It can take every legal move and it's variants (even full cube rotations) and ignores parentheses. The hole thing is coded in Javascript and you can see it in action here:

Also i'm curious about the cube data model and functions to manipulate it that you mentioned above. Is it generic enough to model an NxN cube? And how have you implemented the methods to scramble? I wonder because i've made several javascript cube libraries but they always end up getting overly complicated. Also a bit inefficient, as when I apply a move to the data model I think I end up creating/destroying too many extra objects. So for large cubes it can be slow.

So I was curious what your approach was :)

This looks great!

I love the SVG paths defining the stickers to look like modern speedcube faces. What this created manually? Or are you able to generate a side given different viewing angles etc...

Also i'm curious about the cube data model and functions to manipulate it that you mentioned above. Is it generic enough to model an NxN cube? And how have you implemented the methods to scramble? I wonder because i've made several javascript cube libraries but they always end up getting overly complicated. Also a bit inefficient, as when I apply a move to the data model I think I end up creating/destroying too many extra objects. So for large cubes it can be slow.

So I was curious what your approach was :)

Thank you!

I drew the SVG myself using my GTS2M as a model, the goal was to make it look like a modern speedcube while remaining easy to read.
The great thing about SVGs is that you can actually modify them in realtime using Javascript. My cube is all white by default and I apply the colors to correspond to a given cube state, you can even make it move and solve it like a real cube.

My model is based on array manipulations and can be up-scaled to represent bigger NxNxN cubes. It could also be used for a pyraminx model or other non-bandaged and non-shapeshifting puzzles. I'd like to try to model a Square-1, but that's going to be a lot harder!

I don't have any scramble functions, to be honest I don't know anything about them. I want to learn how they work in the future, but I already have a lot to do before that!

I don't know how efficient my model is. I could probably optimize it if it becomes to slow for bigger cubes, but right now it's stupidly fast ahah.

SolvingRubik

I'd like to try to model a Square-1, but that's going to be a lot harder!

Yeah! I had the same problem haha. I've built models for several twisty puzzles, and I'm In the process of generating images for N-layer megaminx / pyraminx style puzzles. But I realized that puzzles like the square-1 don't quite fit my architecture.

nop

Did this ever see public release? I'm interested in this as well.

Yeah! I had the same problem haha. I've built models for several twisty puzzles, and I'm In the process of generating images for N-layer megaminx / pyraminx style puzzles. But I realized that puzzles like the square-1 don't quite fit my architecture.

Same for me, I would probably need a different model.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fantastic! Thank you! When I saw the M move methods for F2L I soiled my huggies.

Now I need to understand the BL FR etc terminology...

http://www.cubewhiz.com/f2l.php using this to look
BL -> the final slot it's on the back-left spot
FR -> the final slot it's on the front-right spot
FL -> the final slot it's on the front-left spot
BR -> the final slot it's on the back-right spot

nop

BL -> the final slot it's on the back-left spot
FR -> the final slot it's on the front-right spot
FL -> the final slot it's on the front-left spot
BR -> the final slot it's on the back-right spot

OHHHH got it, so you can control the final resting place of the pairing by performing different algorithms, got it, thanks!

I'm working on intuitive F2, and now that it's coming along better, this application is going to be very helpful to recognise shapes and results of movements.