• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

EZ 4c: A Better 4c Recognition System

GodCubing

Why is this 4c recognition better than other more popular approaches such as BU and DFDB? Because you can look at either side. So you don't have to slam your head on the table to see and edge to recognize 4c or tilt the cube mid LSE because you need to see the other side. The way this method avoids this problem is by only using the sides to find the AUF after inserting the ULUR edges. Then you can look at the U layer stickers and find out whether you can cancel or not. After that you need to check 2 stickers on F to ensure you can actually cancel. It's worth noting that this works for misoriented centers, and there is a variant that works for UFUB too. Ok, let's get into how to do it!

EDIT:
0. Recognize whether it is a 3 cycle case or not based on whether same colored edges in the U layer are opposite or adjacent (not color, but location). If they are opposite you can't use this recognition, and have a 2 by 2 case which are easy to solve and cancel.
:EDIT

1. Recognize your AUF as either to the right (U'), or to the left (U) this is quite trivial so I won't get technical here
2. Now we need compare the UF sticker to the U sticker in the direction of your AUF (ex. If your AUF is U or Left them you compare UF with UL)
A. If they are opposite you cannot cancel you AUF into 4c 😢 and you should AUF normally and raise the dot (meaning you do a single slice move so that the 1 different colored sticker in the U layer stays in the U layer, then you U2 and maybe raise the dot again, but it should be obvious by then.
B. They match, see 3
3. If the 2 U layer stickers are the same you need to check the FU sticker with the center on F
A. They are opposite. You cannot cancel sadly and have the worse 3 cycle case😢, you solve this one by AUFing the correct direction and doing M2 U2 then proceeding to raise the dot.
B. They match. You can cancel yay 🥳! To solve this one you want to insert ULUR as always then AUF the wrong way (so that the left and right sides are not solved) and raise the dot.

As I said before this method exactly as it is works for misoriented centers, trust me, and there are some additional things you can add on to do UFUB, and recognize from the special 4b cases and an EOLRb arrow. I will add this stuff in separate posts later (I'm lazy and tired RN) and frankly most of it is covered in my video on it. Also there are lots of examples in my video so check it out if you're confused, or just ask below.

That's all from me, hope you enjoy using this in your solves
-GodCubing

Last edited:

povlhp

You forgot the e2e2 special cases. U2 M2 U2 M2 U M2
Opposite clolors, so your solution would be AUF, RtD.
But since we do have opposing same color edges it is an e2e2 case, so after insert, I would have to do an opposite AUF, i.e. match a UL/UF with its center to save a move.
The other methods has the same limitation on lines. Just needs to be clearer if you need beginners to 4c lookahead to understand it

GodCubing

You forgot the e2e2 special cases. U2 M2 U2 M2 U M2
Opposite clolors, so your solution would be AUF, RtD.
But since we do have opposing same color edges it is an e2e2 case, so after insert, I would have to do an opposite AUF, i.e. match a UL/UF with its center to save a move.
The other methods has the same limitation on lines. Just needs to be clearer if you need beginners to 4c lookahead to understand it
Yeah for the 2by2 cases I figured you can tell that it's not a cycle case. So you don't use the recognition for it. You're right I should specify that.