• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Bad Stickers -> Good Stickers -> Better Recognition?

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOOK AT THE WORN STICKERS:

r2vt6u.jpg
Notice how symmetrically worn the stickers are (especially on green).

:fp <- Just an eye shield.

I know some of you are cringing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvAES6Y9Kfw), but up until that missing green sticker's last pieces peeled away, I was okay using this cube. I didn't feel like my recognition was bad while speedsolving (~12.xx seconds) on this GuHong, so I didn't want to change the stickers until then.
But do you think that if I (or anyone else) can recognize well enough on a cube like this, recognition will improve?

-Does anyone else have a similar experience to share?
-It could be similar to getting fast on a bad cube, but of course you will need to move on to a great cube at some point for better performance.

More personally, if you care to influence my decision:
- Replace that one green sticker (I'M FINE with the rest of them) now.
or
"Dude. Replace all of the stickers NOW. They're cheap lol..."

I hope this thread doesn't suck. Maybe it belongs in General Puzzle discussion?

Last edited:
WCA
2011HAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My Guhong's stickers were EXTREMELY worn out at a point, even worse than those in the image above. Some of them were pretty much non-existent (until one DID fall off, and I replaced all of them).

I have noticed no improvement or worsening of my recognition, at all.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bright set is what goes on, so actually I will have to change the whole set (or just side :p). Thinkaheadfail on my part.
Solving on brand new stickers is a cool feeling.

@Phlippieskezer: Well then at very least, you (we) can recognize on bad stickers.

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do people get their cubes to look like this? I've regularly used one of mine for over a year and I have very few tiny chips on the edges of maybe ~3 stickers.

I don't think it really affects recognition that much as long as there is enough of a sticker there to distinguish the color, but it would bug the crap out of me. I suggest replacing them all.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My zhanchi was getting near this point with the standard Dayan set.

Resticker with Cubesmith bright set -> sub 8 average next day.

Though correlation =/= causation, you can guess it had some effect...

n00bcub3r

when changing stickers, your recognition will be worse until you get used to them, then it will get better(personal experience).

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do people get their cubes to look like this? I've regularly used one of mine for over a year and I have very few tiny chips on the edges of maybe ~3 stickers.

Over 7 months of use from a fairly rough cuber I guess. The DaYan logo wore off the center white piece in July o.o
Congrats of sticker-friendly cubing.

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, if there was one chip on any sticker I would be all Go go go on putting new stickers on. Well then again, for me, I have a friend that likes to take stickers off and another one that likes to sticker (Also another one that likes to clean cubes). So it's not that much of a hassle.

About the recognition thing. I don't think it would affect your recognition very much since you are slowly getting used to the stickers chipping away. But if you went from a freshly stickered cube to that mess then your recognition would be off.

When you put new stickers on, the recognition will be more difficult because your going from the "Mess" to "Fun", which you are not used to.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure it at least helps your recognition slightly by having good stickers, but even if it doesn't, it will surely make you feel a whole lot better while cubing.

Just change the damn stickers.

The Dayan stickers tend to chip pretty quickly, while for Cubesmith stickers, they tend to chip during the early stages but they don't really get any worse than that. Been using it on my LingYun heavily for more than a year and it's still decent (something like Aron's pic I guess).

WCA
2010BULA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hate bad stickers. I always replace my sticker every time it is damaged.
I cut my fingernails regularly because it always damage my stickers.
I want my cube to be always looks neat.
All of my main cubes are white so every week I clean them to remove dirts around the stickers and in all corners of each piece.
But it doesn't affect my recognition at all

please put the pictures in a spoiler tag. :D lol

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Firstly i keep/transport/use my cubes carefully not to rip/chip/damage stickers. ive replaced them once, because i wanted fluorescent set.

and before they kinda chipped a little, nothing major over 3-4 month.
im still not really used to the new set since not all of my cubes are fluorescent, but it does look nicer, and feel a lot better to solve.

really replace them all, NOW!

Last edited:

aronpm

How long have those stickers been used? My cube is like that and I've had it and heavily used it for only 2-3 months. Replacing stickers that often seems like a pain to me.

I replaced the stickers after that picture which was taken 5 weeks ago, and I replaced them again yesterday (although that's partially because I accidentally peeled off a sticker, but they were like the picture)