• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ECE - New 3x3 Solving Method

crafto22

WCA
2014ADAM03
Hey guys I would like you all to know that shadowslice e is the creator of the method, I simply developped his SSC idea a bit further. Although I did come up with this on my own, shadowslice e should receive credit as the creator of this method.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys I would like you all to know that shadowslice e is the creator of the method, I simply developped his SSC idea a bit further. Although I did come up with this on my own, shadowslice e should receive credit as the creator of this method.

I appreciate the gesture but considering the developments you made I think you should rightly be considered a creator/proposer of it as well, at least when it comes to SSC-M/ECE but not SSC-O perhaps

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, Crafto22, this method you developed leagues more than Shadowslice ever did, and this method could be big!

^^ this I'm not sure about. He may have a few more LEE styles than I did though the EoEdge+1, WV/SLS, LEE->LSE, CTL & CP SQ-1 style, Misaligned RF, RB and EoEdge cases (R2/L2 off respectively) for CTL/CP, genning and conceptualising SLS and pseudopair WV, actually noting misoriented SSC-M variants first (for somewhat better lookahead), switching of centres using r2 during CTL for shorter cases and flexibility, tracking of certain pieces for future steps, FMC variants such as SSC-Domino and working on L2L variants that built on crafto's work such as CPETL and CETL or opposite edges in LEE as the first step were mine.

In addition, refering to the first post I made in this thread,
So, basic variation of the SSC method I'm going to call SSC-M (SSC-Misoriented- the original will be refered to as SSC-Oriented). It will use a different, slightly less restricted subset of SLS which does not have to preserve edge orientation (although it will have the same required number of algs) which I will henceforth refer to as SLS-M.

NOTE: bear in mind that this is still just an idea and has not been fully fleshed out yet.

1) Form 3/4 of the e-slice (as in SSC-O but it does not have to orient edges)
2) Orient 3 d-corners.
3) set up to SLS-M
4) SLS-M
5) Permute corners

From here there are two options:

First option: orient all edges and proceed with LEE as in SSC-O

Second option: Solve the DR and DL edges and proceed as per LSE.

This variant might be useful as it would provide a better lookahead for the first few steps (in fact the first two steps could even be done simultaneously- this could make it essentially a less strict PCMS that uses SLS as opposed to CMLL or WV etc) and SLS-M would have a lower move count than SLS-O (although it would likely not be a significant reduction but the setup would be shorter as well in SQTM)

However, orienting all the edges later in the solve may be less move count efficient than the EoEdge at the start of SSC-O and SLS-M would have more memorising as the additional orientation that the edge could be placed in could slow down recognition time.

So, all in all, this variation would improve the start of the solve by way of improved lookahead and slightly lower move count at the cost of some efficiency and recognition at the end of the solve
I realize it may not be as efficient, but what about finishing F2L and performing EPLL? More algs, but faster ( I think anyway)
It's a nice idea that I looked at one point (when I was transitioning from Beginners to Roux) but I eventually came to the conclusion that it would take more moves to place all the D-edges than to place RU/LU and RD/LD. In addition, the EPLL takes more moves than the L4E used in roux

So I would conclude that while less efficient it could be a good alternative for a CFCE, CFOP or ZZ/ZB user who is a much faster turner when doing an alg and ends up faster with the higher move count than the lower move count intuitive LSE/LEE approach.
So i would say that the method is more of a variant of SSC (specifically SSC-M)
, you get a (series of) quotes which outline ECE-L6E, original ECE and the EPLL variation. I didn't include the "Broken variant" as this boils down to exactly what the Belt method is.

This is not to say crafto did not make some important contribututions, which he certianly did with the EZD variant ( and also especially helping to popularise it with his times and progress), but I don't think he developed it "leagues more than Shadowslice ever did", even when only considering SSC-M/ECE.

Last edited:
Haven't read the entire thread yet. Forgive me if this has been mentioned already. Any chance of a video series demonstrating the BA method?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Most methods really only have one Acronym and one nickname, like old pochmann/OP, CFOP/Fridrich.
So for just an "Oh, what method do you use?" lets say Briggs-Adam
because "BA method" has about as many syllables as "Briggs-Adam", and ECE has even more. Lets call it ECE like people call fridrich CFOP, and like people call CFOP fridrich lets call it Briggs-Adam, ok?
what do you think?

theradhaxor

I just read this whole thread
And I am specifically trying to find algs for EZD

So this is what I know so far about it(EZD)
1. E slice -1, while simultaneously placing 3 oriented corners(same opposite) on one side
2. Orient and place last corner, with last edge of the e slice while simultaneously orienting all corners in top layer using WV and something
3. Corner splitting and permutation using square one algs(that I can't find)
4.orient all edges, and then place all the bottom edges, but they don't have to be permuted
5. Permute all edges at the same time using algs that we don't know yet

Can you guys give links?

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just read this whole thread
And I am specifically trying to find algs for EZD

So this is what I know so far about it(EZD)
1. E slice -1, while simultaneously placing 3 oriented corners(same opposite) on one side
2. Orient and place last corner, with last edge of the e slice while simultaneously orienting all corners in top layer using WV and something
3. Corner splitting and permutation using square one algs(that I can't find)
4.orient all edges, and then place all the bottom edges, but they don't have to be permuted
5. Permute all edges at the same time using algs that we don't know yet

Can you guys give links?
I made some algorithms for EzD, look around pages 4-5 i think
theyre a link to a google drive probably a little hard to spot

and for square-1 algorithms just look for the square-1 solution guide by lars vandenbergh

Last edited:

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
the algorithms for EZD are here: link to EPBL version 2.0
you can comment on the paper if you want to suggest changes or modifications.

and for square 1 algorithms:
->the / in between the parentheses is an R2 move
ignore any 1 or -1's in the parentheses:
for the instance (a,b):
-If a is equal to 3, do a U face move. if a is equal to -3, do a U' face move.

for any algorithm where there is an odd number of /'s, you need to tweak it because the e-slice edges on the R face will be switched, if you really are out of ideas ill find my tweaked algorithms and PM them to you.

crafto22

WCA
2014ADAM03
the algorithms for EZD are here: link to EPBL version 2.0
you can comment on the paper if you want to suggest changes or modifications.

and for square 1 algorithms:
->the / in between the parentheses is an R2 move
ignore any 1 or -1's in the parentheses:
for the instance (a,b):
-If a is equal to 3, do a U face move. if a is equal to -3, do a U' face move.

for any algorithm where there is an odd number of /'s, you need to tweak it because the e-slice edges on the R face will be switched, if you really are out of ideas ill find my tweaked algorithms and PM them to you.
Too many S moves. I have some better algs on a doc, I'll try to finish it and then give you guys the link here.

crafto22

WCA
2014ADAM03
Most methods really only have one Acronym and one nickname, like old pochmann/OP, CFOP/Fridrich.
So for just an "Oh, what method do you use?" lets say Briggs-Adam
because "BA method" has about as many syllables as "Briggs-Adam", and ECE has even more. Lets call it ECE like people call fridrich CFOP, and like people call CFOP fridrich lets call it Briggs-Adam, ok?
what do you think?
Ya ok sure

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Too many S moves. I have some better algs on a doc, I'll try to finish it and then give you guys the link here.
YES.
my algorithms are always subpar and I cant install Acube to let me restrict the movesets so I'm stuck with "allow slice moves" with cube explorer.
for the double H perms though, I like this algorithm:
(x') E2 M2 F2 E2 M2 F2(x<-or do I really need one? the cubes solved anyway.)
the story behind this:
being able to make 2 H's(the pattern/Roux case, not the permutation) opposite each other on the cube predates my ability to solve it. When I generated this case the first time I recognizes it as that and tried to solve 4 H's simultaneously using the same idea, and this is what I got.

theradhaxor

So we're stuck with efficiency without ergonomics for the last step. Hmm I wish I could download cube explorer, but I have a Mac