• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Easy Puzzles for a Beginner?

SnackeyG

So I've learned 3x3 and still working on getting faster(I'm at 2:15 average). I thought it would be fun to learn other puzzles starting with easier ones and maybe a harder one.

I'm looking into:
-2x2x2
-3x3x2
-Skewb
-Pyraminx

And for something harder I was thinking to start on my journey up with a 4x4x4?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
It sounds to me like you're addicted already. Welcome!
You should get the 4x4 soonest because it's cool and it's not as hard as you might think. You're going to be wanting bigger cubes for sure.
The other puzzles are all good too, and if you get to go to a comp they're all official apart from the 3x3x2

SnackeyG

It sounds to me like you're addicted already. Welcome!
You should get the 4x4 soonest because it's cool and it's not as hard as you might think. You're going to be wanting bigger cubes for sure.
The other puzzles are all good too, and if you get to go to a comp they're all official apart from the 3x3x2

Heh, yeah I'm having fun with it. I don't know how addicted to the speed part I am yet. Puzzle solving is fun though.

AFatTick

WCA
2013QIAN01
You should do 4x4, 2x2 and pyraminx gets boring after a couple of solves. 4x4 is now one of my favorites! It is just the 3x3 with some edge pairing, and two new algs.

SnackeyG

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to order a DaYan 2x2 and a Moyu Aosu 4x4 this Friday. Then hold off for awhile since Moyu seems to be putting out a bunch of stuff. I'd like to see how their Pyraminx and Skewb are and the Aosu isn't cheap.

Any tutorial recommendations? I will try both on my own first. I figure I can get the 2x2. 4x4 I'm skeptical.

Fawn

To be honest , most big cubes (4x4, 5x5, et cetera) aren't significantly more difficult than a 3x3. Of course, there are added challenges, but it's nothing a beginner couldn't handle. I think you'll find 4x4 to be very fun. Most people like it. After learning 4x4, then I guess Square-1 is far enough from a 3x3 that it actually becomes a good challenge. I can't solve it, that's for sure. Jaysammey777 mentioned Megaminx. That's also a good puzzle that 's a little more challenging than normal. It's my favorite, along with 7x7.

Fawn

Any tutorial recommendations? I will try both on my own first. I figure I can get the 2x2. 4x4 I'm skeptical.

For 2x2, I can nearly guarantee that you will figure it out by yourself. For 4x4, crazybadcuber has a tutorial on his YouTube channel. It's the only one I've ever watched, though, so there may be better ones out there.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could try a pyramorphix, or even a megamorphix if you are looking for a little bigger of a challenge. Like the others have said in this thread, big cubes aren't that hard, they just take longer to solve. You could get ShengShou mirror blocks, it is just a 3x3, but it is pretty fun and different to solve, plus it is only around 7 dollars. Other than that, anything else that i can think of has already been said, except for maybe a 2x2x4, but there aren't any cheap ones.

bitflusher

I got myself a 4x4x4 (cheap cyclone boys from lightake) when I hit 2 minutes. It is great to solve between a couple of 3x3x3 solves. Not hard only the top edge parity alg was hard for me to learn (the only one lengthier than most 3x3 algs). Just ordered a 5x5x5 as a folowup.

SnackeyG

I got myself a 4x4x4 (cheap cyclone boys from lightake) when I hit 2 minutes. It is great to solve between a couple of 3x3x3 solves. Not hard only the top edge parity alg was hard for me to learn (the only one lengthier than most 3x3 algs). Just ordered a 5x5x5 as a folowup.

Really looking forward to 4x4 based on these responses. I'm getting bored of only practicing 3x3. If the AoSu wasn't so pricey I'd probably add a Megaminx to the mix too. I will do that at a later time.