• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does your dominant hand effect your time?

Hi, I had a thought come to my head that since all the algs have R and U that cubing is easier for leftys. I am a lefty and I have been stuck at 30 seconds solves for 3 months. But do you think the RUs in algs might be a reason why leftys are slower than rightys? And if so, do you have any tips for me?

xyzzy

Hi, I had a thought come to my head that since all the algs have R and U that cubing is easier for leftys. I am a lefty and I have been stuck at 30 seconds solves for 3 months. But do you think the RUs in algs might be a reason why leftys are slower than rightys? And if so, do you have any tips for me?
As you've noticed, speedsolving algs often involve a lot of R and U moves because RU is often faster than LU for right-handed folk. You can try mirroring your algs to make them LU-heavy instead. Once you have a list of LU-heavy algs, you can start drilling them for a while and see if you can get them to be as fast as, or faster than, the RU-heavy algs you're using now.

(But also the real answer is that at 30 seconds, lookahead is most likely what's holding you back, not alg execution. You still should optimise your algs regardless, but it might have less of an impact on your times than you expect it to.)

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
You are not slower because you are lefty. One of my friends that I see at most every competition uses lefty algs for everything and he is faster then I am (averaging around 12-13 seconds). I would recommend that (as other have already said) that you mirror the algs to the lefty version.

Thom S.

I'm left handed too and it comes down to what hand you choose to be the dominant one. In order to be better in Sqare-1 I changed my dominant hand to be the right one over a year ago and it didn't change my times after getting used to(except for my squan times but that's a dfferent thing. Good thing because my U2s and U2' are exacltly as fast

Scientifical side of it - There are basically two types of right handed and left handed people. The ones that are purely x-handed and the mixture-types which have their better side. So there might be a chance that you are one of those people that can't do anything except basic things with their right hand(unlikely because you are already that 'fast') which would mean that RU is in fact holding you back but that's easy fixed with mirroring like everyone said. From my observations most right handed people have a hard time doing things with their left hand while left handed people can get used to it easily. Which means that either we are in a lucky spot as we train things with both hands all the time or most right handed people are pure while most left handed people are a mixture type.

tolgakantarci

WCA
2018KANT01
But do you think the RUs in algs might be a reason why leftys are slower than rightys?
Well, I'm also lefty but I use my right hand when cubing because I learned righty algs when I started and didn't practise with my left hand. In any case, you could just mirror the algs it won't make you any slower.

Last edited: