• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do you like/dislike starers?

sooland

WCA
2009CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The title says it all. Has any normal person look at you solve your cube in public, and then either asks you, "How fast", "How do you do that", "Can I mix it up for you?" (possible pop on messing up, and says, "This is hard!"), or doesn't say anything, and occasionally looks away, trying to make you believe he/she isn't interested in you cubing, but still, he/she stares at you with a blank stare and then walks away eventually.

What are your thoughts? Do you like it and feel a sense of pride? Do you hate it and leave? Do you make money off of it? (Just kidding, my good chaps!) Because i bet this happens to all speedcubers!

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha, i hate it.

Yeah, it happens a lottt. Im sure the forum goers have lots of stories.

You bet!

5x5-ing in a doctors office....a lady and her kid staring the entire solve....i finish....i look up knowing what awaits me......lady raises her eyebrows. I give the typical raised eyebrow acknowledgement.....go on solving....repeat....

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The title says it all. Has any normal person look at you solve your cube in public, and then either asks you, "How fast", "How do you do that", "Can I mix it up for you?" (possible pop on messing up, and says, "This is hard!"), or doesn't say anything, and occasionally looks away, trying to make you believe he/she isn't interested in you cubing, but still, he/she stares at you with a blank stare and then walks away eventually.

What are your thoughts? Do you like it and feel a sense of pride? Do you hate it and leave? Do you make money off of it? (Just kidding, my good chaps!) Because i bet this happens to all speedcubers!

Funny thing is, I have made money off it =p

It was not intentional, but I was at a restaurant with my band after a gig, and there was a different table with a bunch of adults at it who had obviously been there a while.

They had a generous amount of wine finished already (calculated at 1/2 -1 bottle per person) and they were obviously in the mood to party. I had my Gold DIY Type b (Yes, it was lame then too), and I was showing Chad the singer how to do the cross.

One of the people at that other table looked over, saw me flipping it around and yelled at me from the other side of the restaurant to come over there and show them. So, after hesitating, I walked over, and handed the cube to one of the four men (there were also four women present,) and he started scrambling it.

They then made a bet while he was scrambling, saying if I could finish it in less then 30 seconds, they would be surprised. While I was inspecting, they each pulled out 20$ and put it on top of an empty wine glass (60$ total) and they told me if I did it I would get the money.

So I did it, however I don't know the exact time because the guy who was 'timing' it was looking at the calculator on his phone and counting out loud. He said I had done it in 28 seconds, and so I got the money, and when I went back to my table to eat, they wouldn't stop talking about how they would never be able to do it, and how they always take off the stickers.

Anyway, that's my story =p

~Chris

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubing=money

bets+wins=money
noobs+"ZOMG help me here I can't solve this freaking thing fast HALP HALP HALP"+me charging per solve=money
money+cube orders=less money
Crappy cubes+me modding them=money

all in all about $150 per week on a good occasion...*sighs* I solve a lot of cubes for random people.

ON TOPIC - I like people who stare...they might give me money

PandaBoi

Love em, makes me feel proud. it makes me feel all this time training and having fun pays off when peopel stare and go omfgwth.