• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DaYan Zhanchi popping like crazy, very catch-happy. Suggestions?

RMcDonald

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi all,

I have a 55mm black DaYan Zhanchi that I have about ~600 solves on. It's not my main so it's not a huge deal, but it was my first proper speedcube so it's got a special place in my heart. It was very smooth and didn't catch often. However, I opened it up and lubed the core with Traxxas 50k. This has had an awesome effect on all my other cubes and I love the feel of it.

My issue is that a while after I did this while the rest of my cubes stayed awesome, this cube got incredibly catchy and pops almost every second solve. I turn it very gently, but almost as soon as a layer is misaligned and I try to turn it explodes. 4+ pieces fly off the thing. I thought maybe I didn't put the core screws in straight, so I disassembled and cleaned it, then put it together making sure to get the screws as straight as possible (very straight).

The screws are also evenly tensioned and I keep tightening it to minimize the pops, but even on very high tensions it still pops just as bad. It hardly corner cuts anymore either. I really have no idea what to do, I wanna keep using the cube, but I'm sick and tired of crawling around under my desk to find corners.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to improve this issue?

Thanks in advance :)

ccownerful

I doubt this is the case, but with my old main zhanchi (which had way over 5000 solves) started doing the same thing. I came up the the conclusion that the cube, basically sanded itself down, making it loose and unstable. I just got a new one. cubes that hold a special place in your heart should be put up on a pedestal and left to be stared at when you loose interest in cubing to keep you motivated. Hope this helps!

RMcDonald

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the advice folks, I am actually starting up a youtube channel soon, so I'll post a video about this then. I am also planning to get some lower viscosity lube for the pieces, as 50k is a bit too thick except for the core.

D

Deleted member 19792

Lube it or buy a new one. I have had a messed up Zhanchi before. I just sold it to someone for the same price I got it, then bought a new one.