• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DaYan GuHong problem.

Ben

Hi,

I lubricated my GuHong with a lube that had petroleum in it by accident.
About an hour later, the cube was so crap that I wiped everything off.
It was fine and all, but it didn't feel AS good as before.
The next day, I put it in water to clean because when I cubed with it, whole layers would pop, including the center, screw and spring. After washing, I tried to assemble it but found it hard to put in the last edges because the center would keep flying off.

I found that, if the screw was put into the core too loose, I could just rip it out.
If it was in tight, it was normal.

So, Do I have to get a new core? or a new screw. spring, washer set?

TK 421

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmmm, Looks like u need a slim alpha core. Yeah, speedcubeshop sells them.

(DO NOT USE OTHER CORE, IT DOES NOT FIT WELL IN THE GUHONG)

Anyway, try to clean out your guhong even more. Washing once only doesn't work, try 3-4 times

Because the GuHong gets loose and pops over time. i recommend a C4U spring flipped with the fat end facing upwards and putting a washer down below to protect the center piece.

AquaJoe

Depending on how bad the core is stripped, you might be able to use teflon tape on the screw. It worked for my gear cube.

xkevx

its the internal core is is lightly/mildly stripped, juz apply a layer or 2 superglue/transparent nail polish into the hole, and let it dry~

it worsk for my LanLan 2x2, of the hole was badly stripped, and i can even put the whole screw into the hole, but now its fixed =)

Ben

Okay.

So I put the old core into the GuHong and it assembled properly.
But now, I noticed bits of dried up white stuff on the edges and corners.
It could possibly be dried lubix because the cube feels much worser than when I first got it.

I have heard lots of people say that GuHongs' suck without lube.
I've tensioned my cube and it still feels slow and locks up but I still get decent times..
I also took off the tri-wing things on the ends of the corner pieces but I'll put them back in to see if they make a difference.

So, Is this normal? or did the lube completely stuff the hell out of my cube?
If it's normal and just needs lube, I will buy some Maru Lube.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Because the GuHong gets loose and pops over time.

Really? I by no means turn accurately and solve my GuHong about 100 times a day and can't remember the last time it popped.
If it pops it's too loose. Mine still cuts over 45 degs so it's not exactly tight either.
But I have only had it since a couple of weeks after it's release and solved for 6 hours straight yesterday.

TK 421

YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay.

So I put the old core into the GuHong and it assembled properly.
But now, I noticed bits of dried up white stuff on the edges and corners.
It could possibly be dried lubix because the cube feels much worser than when I first got it.

I have heard lots of people say that GuHongs' suck without lube.
I've tensioned my cube and it still feels slow and locks up but I still get decent times..
I also took off the tri-wing things on the ends of the corner pieces but I'll put them back in to see if they make a difference.

So, Is this normal? or did the lube completely stuff the hell out of my cube?
If it's normal and just needs lube, I will buy some Maru Lube.

Use A-1 core

Clean all the pieces (yes even the insides) 3-4 times in rich amounts of cloth detergent

Water to Detergent ratio= 2:1

Dry normally, but not under the sun.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
[video with 45 degree corner cutting]

That's not special for a guhong and likely has little to do with the lube you used. All guhongs I've used can cut corners at 45 degrees, with lubix, shock oil, crc, maru anything.

EDIT: I went to that vacu-proof website you linked and it said you were using a silicon SEALANT, not a lubricant. It's meant to seal holes in vacuums. Sounds like a terrible idea for lube.