• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dayan 6: PanShi [pictures]

CY

During a few days, I have seen that some people actually enjoyed the panshi a lot, so I thought I'd get another one (mine is the first batch), just to see if it is better. I got it in DIY, and I don't know if its my tensions or what, but it explodes like crazy without torps (they stopped making them). It was also really hard to assemble. In my point of view, I think I would rather stick to the Zhanchi

FlushJackson

I've labored over one of my Panshi cubes to get it into a usable state. Despite this, the cube has such an annoying feel that don't even want to solve on it (have done about 30 solves on it). I guess we'll wait and see how the next revision of the Panshi turns out.. in the meantime I'll have to find something to do with a bunch of DIY Panshi kits I have no intention of building.

Tenaji

I've received and assembled my DIY Panshi. I still don't understand lubing. I use a 40,000wt pure silicone lubricant. I've lubricated the core the typical lubix way. I lubed the pieces several times just to experiment, but to my surprise, I don't think I could feel it being gummy... It's corner cutting for me is definitely better than the Zhanchi, my Panshi can cut from pretty much every angle. The Panshi is also ever so slightly larger than the Zhanchi. The Zhanchi is more sharp in terms of looks whereas the Panshi is a bit bigger and rounded on the edges of the pieces. I have a heavily modified Zhanchi that has been broken in so the Panshi was quite clicky and crispy for me. Speed and control wise, both cubes are fairly similar. Although both cubes are quite different, they perform fairly similarly. If you are looking for something similar or a bit better than the Zhanchi but with a different feel, then buy the Panshi. Or if you want to buy this for fun then I don't see why not.

I just took out the torpedoes and the Panshi is significantly smoother and feels less likely to lock up or is less clicky or crispy. It feels quite a bit more like the Zhanchi now.

Last edited:
This guy made a good review on the panshi. I agree fully with what he says.

You have to set the tensions quite loose to have a good and smoother feel of the cube. But it is not going to replace my zhanchi just yet.

I glued the corners both cubies and stalks, especially the stalks get more stable when you do that. I also dremeled the bottom of the stalks, which helps with the bumpiness (lots of flash there).

If you want to disassemble this cube, you can take the edge piece out like the zhanchi, but do NOT yank that corner piece out like you can with the zhanchi because the stalk can break. Instead move your finger in the hole, lift the centerpiece to make some room, and then gently take out the corner piece by slightly twisting until it wants to come out. No force should be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

CY

Does anyone think the torpedos will become rare like a collector's item in the future? I have 2 sets and I don't know if i should throw them away or not, since I have no use for them

crappycuber

i felt my freinds panshi today and i am receiving mine on Monday but so far its as good as the zhanchi but not any better, its got more of a crunchy feel maybe its the torpedo's but i think that it will be a very lock'y cube compared to the zhanchi. Only time will tell

It's not the torpedo's, it's the cube itself.

You have to tension it really loose to get it to feel ok, but not TOO loose because then it start to go too clicky again.

It's a dayan 3x3 so it'll be in my collection, but when I compare it to how my zhanchis felt when first assembled and the panshi.. it's a bummer for the panshi but I will stick with the zhanchi.

I wonder what dayan is going to do now so many people prefer the previous model he brought out.

LOL! Who knows.

I am amazed he changed the design so much of a basically good cube.

HOPEFULLY he'll realize that and make a zhanchi v2, basically the same cube, but with small improvements so it will perform better. We all know where the zhanchi can be slightly improved, so why not bring the cube out with those improvements. Never change a winning team is what I say ;)

Put my Panshi DIY together yesterday with just a 48 pt mod and Lubix. I also super glued the corners together.

Impression:

It's not terrible. It's definitely a different feel than the Zhanchi that takes adjustment to get used to. The corner cutting is nuts, I probably cut at 55 degrees! Reverse cutting isn't anything to write home about. To those that say it feels Guhong-ish, I completely disagree. The Guhong V1 is still by far my favorite cube (moreso than the Zhanchi IMHO).

Does anyone know how many screw threads are exposed at 'ideal' tensions? At first I thread the screws in until all threads were in the core and this made it impossible to assemble so I backed it out till about a pennies worth or threads were exposed. After assembly I rotated all 6 screws 90 degrees. I'm not sure what other people are running for tensions so I thought I'd ask.