• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Current Fastest Corners-First-Method Solver

Juqe

Hey,
I've been looking around for quite some time now but could not find an answer to this question: Who is currently the fastest solver (official and unofficial) that uses a Corners First Method (whatever Variation/Method of it)?
Did anyone ever sub-10 it in competition?
Thanks for your answer :)

Juqe

I know that @efattah uses LMCF, I'm not sure what he averages.
I know he does it, but I thought there might be a faster one - I'm using his method too ^^ he posted a video of an avg3 nine months back and it was 13.29sec. His fastest one was an 8.77 but that was well over a year ago

Juqe

Do you consider PCMS to be a corners first method?
I was not thinking about this in particular (because it solves pairs instead of pure corners) I'd still be interested in who's the fastest solver with that is

Hazel

Premium Member
I average sub-20 with pure PCMS, although that isn't my main method, and I'm certain there are people faster than me with it.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think Gianfranco Huanqui is probably one of the fastest if not the fastest corners first solver.

He has a 10.56 single in competition, and I'd be surprised if he didn't have a sub 8 single and 11-13 second average at home, since I know that several BLDers of his caliber have unofficial singles/averages that are that fast.

3-style is of course a pretty inefficient corners first method for sighted solving, but I don't know of anyone who's faster than Gianfranco using a normal corners first method.

Juqe

I think Gianfranco Huanqui is probably one of the fastest if not the fastest corners first solver.

He has a 10.56 single in competition, and I'd be surprised if he didn't have a sub 8 single and 11-13 second average at home, since I know that several BLDers of his caliber have unofficial singles/averages that are that fast.

3-style is of course a pretty inefficient corners first method for sighted solving, but I don't know of anyone who's faster than Gianfranco using a normal corners first method.
So he is even using 3-style for corners while doing normal 3x3 ? That's crazy especially then a 10.56 - I'm currently stuck at 10.98 and 14 avg best with LMCF by @efattah but still no Eg-1 or 2 just CLL and E2L Pairs.. so I might get that (hopes xd)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
So he is even using 3-style for corners while doing normal 3x3 ? That's crazy especially then a 10.56 - I'm currently stuck at 10.98 and 14 avg best with LMCF by @efattah but still no Eg-1 or 2 just CLL and E2L Pairs.. so I might get that (hopes xd)
Yes, he uses normal 3x3x3 to practice for BLD. I believe he does the memo before starting the timer during his 15 seconds (pretty easy for him to do), so the 10.56 is just execution time. But it's actually a BLD solve, done with proper regular 3x3x3 rules.

efattah

Well I'm heading to my first ever competition in Vancouver on September 30th. However, I expect it to be an epic fail. After years of solving in private and on video, when anyone watches me (even close friends) I typically botch up pretty bad! Need to learn to get over that, we'll see how it goes. If I can even get an 11-second single I'd be pretty happy. The problem is that I have moved to a more advanced LMCF variant and just like a ZBLL-trainee I rarely can make it through a solve 'knowing' all the cases, but if I can get a solve where I know all the cases that appear, then it is usually very fast. I rarely time myself these days, but I want to start doing some timed averages leading up to the competition. I'm definitely way faster than a year ago, but still super erratic.

I still only use EG-1 and CLL, but I'm trying to learn anti-CLL and get reflex-speed recognition on it. The corners phase is BY FAR my worst phase of the solve, I am just not motivated to learn to 1-look, I don't have the patience for long inspection/planning time. Give me a cube where the corners are already solved and I can solve it in less than 10 seconds on average and sometimes in 7 seconds.

Juqe

Well I'm heading to my first ever competition in Vancouver on September 30th. However, I expect it to be an epic fail. After years of solving in private and on video, when anyone watches me (even close friends) I typically botch up pretty bad! Need to learn to get over that, we'll see how it goes. If I can even get an 11-second single I'd be pretty happy. The problem is that I have moved to a more advanced LMCF variant and just like a ZBLL-trainee I rarely can make it through a solve 'knowing' all the cases, but if I can get a solve where I know all the cases that appear, then it is usually very fast. I rarely time myself these days, but I want to start doing some timed averages leading up to the competition. I'm definitely way faster than a year ago, but still super erratic.

I still only use EG-1 and CLL, but I'm trying to learn anti-CLL and get reflex-speed recognition on it. The corners phase is BY FAR my worst phase of the solve, I am just not motivated to learn to 1-look, I don't have the patience for long inspection/planning time. Give me a cube where the corners are already solved and I can solve it in less than 10 seconds on average and sometimes in 7 seconds.
Damn, nice to hear an update from you - what's your pb so far ? And how about the extended version of the LMCF spreadsheet or did you rather work on your on your own LMCF-Skills?

efattah

Since most of my solves have been untimed it is hard to say, I have had many 28-32 move (untimed) speed solves that felt sub-8 but who knows. I added it up and I am currently using 230-250 algorithms which is still well short of the 800 or so you need for the full method.

I am still (daily) adding new discoveries to my scratchpad, it will take some time to clean it up into the PDF but I am hoping to publish it some time in the fall. The LMCF V2 PDF will showcase a vastly more developed method, that primarily addresses lookahead, ergonomics, as well as an expanded/improved transition phase, and lots of improved algorithms.

I am still using GTS2M, I don't have the patience to keep up with the new cubes, not sure how much better the GTS3M or other new cubes are vs. GTS2M.