• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing on youtube is over with COPPA

Xtreme Cuber

It seems to me that YouTube could find a middle ground in terms of how they treat videos marked for kids. It seems they're still allowed to do contextualized ads, but not personalized ads. It seems almost like YouTube has adopted the policy of completely eliminating monetization, not recommending kids videos, and making them hard to search specifically to try to force the FTC to give way to complaints about the policy.
You're absolutely right. I guess I should have said it's not entirely YouTube's fault. A lot of the blame can still go on the FTC, because of their new interpretation of the law. Obviously, the FTC isn't forcing YouTube to do exactly what they're doing, but if the FTC hadn't edited COPPA in the first place, YouTube wouldn't have felt as if they needed to change their own policies. In other words, there isn't one single scapegoat for all the problems surrounding COPPA, but if the FTC doesn't change their interpretation of the law then YouTube won't feel the need to change. It's sort of a domino effect, if that makes sense.

Bamboo Cuber

WCA
2018WANJ09
YouTube
Bamboo Cuber
So I haven't read all of these (cuz its four pages long and I'm rly tired), but here are my thoughts.
People like JR and CrazyBad will have to figure out other ways to make money because their main source of income is from their channels. The problem with COPPA is that the judgment of whether a video is kid-friendly or not is up to the FTC (or so I've been told). They have ZERO experience when it comes to managing a HUGE media platform like Youtube, and they are also very outdated in terms of law enforcement. I honestly think that when the FTC hits some channels but not others, the backlash will be enormous.
Back to Cubing, the channels that are primarily cubing will be hit very hard, as almost ALL of the videos are considered for Kids. Keep in mind that estimates place Personalised Ads make up approx. 70 - 80% of monetization. We can only hold our breath and cross our fingers for what's to come.