• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubers hate him! Discover one simple trick to fix M slices in magnetic cubes.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

It turns out it was due to rotational weight!
I noticed that MagLev cubes don't have trouble with M slices, and I got to thinking...

There are 20 magnets in an outer later, in an outer radius...
But only 8 magnets in an M slice!

If it was due to magnetic force, people would be UNDERshooting, and not OVERshooting.
So it's not due to magnetic attraction, it's due to torque and rotational weight effects!

By balancing the M slice by gluing washers to the caps, you achieve weight balance in the M slices, and you can nail your H perm, Z perm, O perm, U perms, ezpz.

Since the washers are in the center, you don't feel it when you do outer layer moves, ONLY when you do slice moves. The cube as a whole is heavier, but since the weight is near the center, the torque required to make the turn on the outer layer isn't affected much, but it's greatly increased with the M slice, which balances it with the outer layers!

EDIT: Uh oh, if you pause at 3 seconds, in the background you can see the scheme, formula, and chemistry behind all three steps of Project Boron-22. Good thing I don't shoot in hi-res HD LOL

Last edited:

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel

It turns out it was due to rotational weight!
I noticed that MagLev cubes don't have trouble with M slices, and I got to thinking...

There are 20 magnets in an outer later, in an outer radius...
But only 8 magnets in an M slice!

If it was due to magnetic force, people would be UNDERshooting, and not OVERshooting.
So it's not due to magnetic attraction, it's due to torque and rotational weight effects!

By balancing the M slice by gluing washers to the caps, you achieve weight balance in the M slices, and you can nail your H perm, Z perm, O perm, U perms, ezpz.

Since the washers are in the center, you don't feel it when you do outer layer moves, ONLY when you do slice moves. The cube as a whole is heavier, but since the weight is near the center, the torque required to make the turn on the outer layer isn't affected much, but it's greatly increased with the M slice, which balances it with the outer layers!

EDIT: Uh oh, if you pause at 3 seconds, in the background you can see the scheme, formula, and chemistry behind all three steps of Project Boron-22. Good thing I don't shoot in hi-res HD LOL
Maglev? Are you using repelling magnets instead of springs? Are you able to show how you do this?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maglev? Are you using repelling magnets instead of springs? Are you able to show how you do this?

Ohhhh, if you go to my old videos (I'm at the gym right now) you can find something on it.

Since we aren't selling them, I will post a guide some day :)

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is this thing gonna be implemented into future magnetic cubes at TheCubicle? Asking because I ordered a magnetic 3x3 and would probably like to have this before it ships without having to do it myself :p

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is this thing gonna be implemented into future magnetic cubes at TheCubicle? Asking because I ordered a magnetic 3x3 and would probably like to have this before it ships without having to do it myself :p

The boss doesn't like the added weight ):
If you want though, I can totally add an extra set of caps with washers for you!

I think it'd take the opinion of people much faster than me to weigh in, before this becomes standard practice.

It's such a marginal thing for people who don't use many M moves, and the people at the office have gotten used to the lighter M slices, so they don't want the added weight.

Last edited:

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The boss doesn't like the added weight ):
If you want though, I can totally add an extra set of caps with washers for you!

I think it'd take the opinion of people much faster than me to weigh in, before this becomes standard practice.

It's such a marginal thing for people who don't use many M moves, and the people at the office have gotten used to the lighter M slices, so they don't want the added weight.

If you could throw in some added washers, that'd be awesome! I'll PM you my order number and stuff :)

efattah

This is HUGE for Roux, Waterman, LMCF and any other method that is heavy on M slices!