• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cube "aging"

Crzyazn

Being only a 6month cuber, i really don't have much experience with using DIY cubes (I used a stiff Rubik's brand for A LONG time).

After sufficient usage, when do DIY Type As start to suck? Or do they just get better and better with more use?

Cubie Newbie

Yes, they get "broken in," where the rough spots are rubbed down and you can cut corners.

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think they start to get better as they "break in" looser and smoother and such. But they are not going to stop getting looser so maybe you can just tighten them but eventually they need to be replaced. I have not had this happen. My oldest DIy is my OH cube and its springs are compressed to about half the size of when they started. I like this for OH but not 2H. Maybe you can just get new springs and start the breaking them in.