• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Comparison of DIY Types

Mr Cubism

Type A

Colors available: white, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, black

Pros:
-Very smooth once assembled and lubed
-Requires almost no breaking in

Cons:

"New" Type A

Colors available: white, black

Pros:
-Due to design features, this type is less likely to pop
-Turns well out of the box

Cons:
-The most expensive type
-Many more pieces to assemble than normal DIYs
-Doesn't cut corners well

Is this a new or an old "a"?

http://www.cube4you.com/222_Black-DIYKit-3x3x3-Cube-(a).html

GermanCube

WCA
2010SCHR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It should be an old one, the new ones are called a(II) etc.

To confuse everyone a littlebit more:

As we all know, there is

- Old Type A
- Type II(a)
- Type III(a)
- Type a third model (or 3rd model)

Now they got new cubes on cube4you.com, which are called New Type III(a)
At first I thought, they'd be the same cubes as III(a) and the 'new' refers to the date they've been added to the shop or somethin like that.
But as you'll notice while looking at the pictures, there's a difference between New Type III(a) and Type III(a)! The New Type III(a) doesn't have these little things on the edge pieces( I dunno what they are called, but you'll see), and Type III(a) does have them (the same as II(a) I think)...

So after all there are 5 Type A's !!!

481.jpg

New Type III(a)

479.jpg

Type III(a)

Last edited:

Mr Cubism

Last edited:

pentrixter

Banned
Shouldn't this be in the Hardware section?

Your type B description sounds just about right. It was really expensive when I bought it though.

Also, why not include types A-F, JSK, and Edison/Joy cubes in this thread too? I have been looking for a comprehensive pros and cons thread that compares all main models. I promise I'll help.

GermanCube

WCA
2010SCHR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a question:

I've got a white Type A and a white Type C. How can I tell which cube is which letter? (One of them has these little gaps at the corners of the center piece, to remove the centercaps) ...

Thanks,

Alex

Unknown.soul

YouTube
Visit Channel
To confuse everyone a little bit more:

As we all know, there is

- Old Type A
- Type II(a)
- Type III(a)
- Type a third model (or 3rd model)
So after all there are 5 Type A's !!!

Now there are 7. The newer Type A III was improved to have stronger edges:

Then there is another:

The corners break easily:
a43.jpg

So I guess it should be
- Old Type A
- Type A third model (or 3rd model)
- Type A II
- Type A III
- Type A III 2
- Type A III 3
- Type A IV
:rolleyes:

More confusion shall ensue.

Last edited:

pentrixter

Banned
Well then do you know if anyone has a good review of a third model? I tried searching and not much came up.

I am also aware of Zarxrax's review of A-F (not B or E), but I'd like a second opinion on the third model.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Well then do you know if anyone has a good review of a third model? I tried searching and not much came up.

I am also aware of Zarxrax's review of A-F (not B or E), but I'd like a second opinion on the third model.

I have no real review of the third model, but I can give a second opinion. I think it's an excellent cube. It's my main speedcube. It turns amazingly and it very rarely pops... but then again, I did change the springs to some random ones I got at a hardware store. I don't have a huge cube collection but I can't imagine any other cube being significantly better for my tastes. I have a list of other cubes that I'd like to get in the future, but still the first cube on that list is a second third model.

pentrixter

Banned
What was wrong with the springs? Is it still a good cube with its original springs?

Does it jam? What are some of your tastes?

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
What was wrong with the springs? Is it still a good cube with its original springs?

Does it jam? What are some of your tastes?

There wasn't really anything wrong with the springs. I had this problem where the screw was unscrewing itself after a while of using the cube, which was really annoying. Occasionally I would get a full layer pop because of it. So I decided to put a little superglue in the core, let it dry, and then rebuilt the cube. I think it was at the same time that I just randomly decided to try out some of the springs I got for my megaminx in it. When I put it all back together it was perfect. I didn't even want to put the original springs back in just because I thought it might slightly ruin the work I had done with the superglue. But it was a good cube before I used those springs, besides the pop problem which was easily remedied, but I don't think all third models have that problem.

anyway, I have basic tastes. Something that turns great and cuts corners decently. I have cubes that cut corners better but I'm not at all unsatisfied with its corner cutting abilities. It really doesn't luck up or get stuck much. I like lighter cubes also. And most importantly, I like cubes that I can be as rough as I want with and not have any worry that it is going to pop. I think if I had to name something that I didn't like about it, it would be that every cubie has a cap piece. I dropped it once while I was waiting in line to register at a comp, and like 8 caps fell off. It was annoying but that only happened once and isn't a big problem.

pentrixter

Banned
Your comments on the cube seem to agree with Zarxrax. I might consider buying a third model then... Just a couple more questions.

1. how does it compare to the old type A that everybody loves so much?

2. you put super glue in the screw holes of the core so the screw fit in tighter?

3. your tastes seem to match mine. I have a feeling you would like enjoy type Fs. If you have a type F, how does the third model compare with it?

4. is the third model the best A type out there for you?

Cubie caps aren't a problem. The same thing happens to a type F. I just super glue it back on whenever they fall out. They don't fall out anymore.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
1) I have mixed feelings about the old type A. It turns great and is really smooth, but I have this constant fear that it is always going to pop, whether or not it does. I like to use it occasionally but I still feel much better with my third model. The old A is a little too heavy for me too.

2) Yea, it was unscrewing by itself, so I put superglue in (any liquid that will harden) to tighten the hole. That was... maybe 6-8 months ago, and I haven't had any problems like that since. Very rarely pops for me now at all. I think Mr Data claimed that his has literally "never" popped. I do get small edge pops occasionally, but it's like one out of every 100 or 200 solves. Not enough to worry about.

3) No I don't have an F although I plan on getting one.

4) Out of my small collection of cubes, I find that it's by far the best. It's the only one that I would use in competition. I don't doubt that there may be some other cube that I would slightly prefer, I just find it hard to imagine such a cube that would make me set down my third model.

btw, these are just my personal opinions. I would feel bad if you got one and didn't like it. I think I've seen a few people around that didn't like this cube, although I can't see why.

Last edited:

pentrixter

Banned
Ah, don't worry about it. Thanks for taking your time reply. I hate popping and jamming. I also like my cubes smooth. If those criteria are met, which seem to be they way third models are described, I should be fine. If the cube unscrews itself, I'll just do what you did.

I've been disappointed before. Perhaps the biggest disappointment was the C4U cube. Over-rated.

mcciff2112

WCA
2009MCCA01
I've been disappointed before. Perhaps the biggest disappointment was the C4U cube. Over-rated.

Agreed. I got it a while back with extremely high hopes. Didn't happen. Though I have been using it recently and it does improve over time. I could see it being a very nice cube in a couple months, but I still prefer most of my others to it at the moment.