• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cube4you A and D type diy comparison

frostyllama

*REVISED* cube4you A and D type diy comparison

REVISED:
i have lubed and have done a fast adjustment on both cubes... and here are their more accurate properties (they are both white btw)

-OLD- TYPE A:
- about twice as resistive as a type d (the force it takes to turn) this is no great impairment
- smoother (no clicking) and easier to do a single double turn (one swift 180' on a face)
- heavier and feels a little more sturdy
- not as noisy
- more easily cuts corners
TYPE D:
- when fully tightened is incredibly loose (more then a well tuned a me thinks)
- least resistance (lightning fast)
- not as smooth, it clicks at every quarter turn
- less likely to pop AT LOW RESISTANCE
- lightweight
- noisier

DIRECT COMPARISON:
while the type d is less likely to pop at low resistance (if a were at same resistance) i believe that when properly tuned the type a (at a higher resistance) actually feels sturdier and less likely to pop and an all around smoother weightier feel; when you are cutting a corner it also doesn't feel like you are about to compromise the hull integrity of the type a, the thing is that the type d will feel like its about to go, but will go farther than the type a before it actually pops (i feel the d sticks more as well.) one can adjust the type a much more to personal preference i.e. turning up resistance, although if your goal is to just get the least resistance possible that is the least likely to pop AT THAT RESISTANCE i would go with the type d; but in my opinion the type a just feels more secure in your hand and much smoother to turn, that is to say less variation in resistance. its up to personal preference but both are miles ahead of a month worked on BEATEN IN store bought cube every inch lubed with silicone, MUCH less variation of resistance on faces and lightning fast comparatively. plus you can do neat things with a diy like cut corners like crazy, adjust tension, things you would have never dreamed of doing on a store bought cube.

it should be noted that the cubes may change character over time and that given a proper tuning each of their properties could improve, if anything changes over the course of a couple of months and i decide to give them a better tune i may update the post.

*update*
well i find myself using the type d more and more, it is my main cube, it just feels right when you treat it well, the steadier your hand the less likely it will lock up (not at all), i first saw the 'clicking' as an impairment and it actually results in more accurate turns, i have more fun with the type d; i guess it really is the all around better cube.

Last edited:

bundat

IMO, type D is better than type A, since it's like a type A, except a bit smoother and more pop-proof.

But yeah, the only problem with it is you can't tighten the screws that much, but unless you're one of the few people who like their cubes tight, it's not really a problem.

Leviticus

Type D locks up sometimes a liitle bit when doing PLL, but i like type D better, heres a vvideo of me solving one:

[youtube] <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n0u44kheQSA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n0u44kheQSA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object> [/youtube]

Guoguodi

I also have a black Type D for comparison against two Type A's (black and white). I have pretty much the same opinion as you guys.

* Type D feels loose, yet doesn't pop as easily as the Type A's
* Type D doesn't cut corners as well as the Type A's, and locks up more
* Type D feels "lighter", and turning speed is, for me, even faster than the Type A's.
* Type D is louder than Type A

Last edited:
H

hdskull

I need to get one of those, is it any good for one hand ?

I recently put together a Type A I bought like a long time ago, and it kinda is like the one in the video, maybe it locks up a bit because the cube is still new and needs breaking in ?

martijn_cube

WCA
2007BAKK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i've got my type D cubes now, and i love them.
there already pretty smooth right out of the package. but at first i wasn't very trilled of it. then i changed the core with a type A DIY core, and lube it, and now it's very fast. The screws are alot better. it's a bit lighter, wich i like. and alot faster then the type A. maybe a bit worse in cutting corners. but still way better then my type A's, and there already very smooth.

edit: ow and the screws from the type D won't fit type A, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Guoguodi

The consensus seems like overall the Type D is at least as good as the Type A's, if not better. I took the time to relube my Tybe D properly (Thrawst method) and it's truly amazing. Who cares about cutting corners when you can turn a side with like 1mm movement of your finger ? (OK, slight exaggeration). Seriously, these things turn really nicely.

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
Hehe, wonder what Harris + Type D equals :p I guess I'll make an order for black D, and Green D, and White new type A

You will notice that the black cube is the best of them all, the black cube is also smaller (55mm) then the coloured D's.
Yesterday Ton received the D cubes and they are very good, but the black one man-o-man, after lubing and playing a bit, the same night it immediatly reminded me of Edouard Chambon's cube!

And I should know. ;)
Maybe I should e-mail David Calvo about this. :)

martijn_cube

WCA
2007BAKK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it any good for one hand? or is it too smooth.

i think it can be very good for one hand. just buy one. you will like it. if its not for one hand then certainly for 2H.

i really would like to see a video of harris chan with a D type cube :). just put a Type A core in. maybe unscrew them a tiny bit, and lube it. and then go like crazy :D.

Last edited: