• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Comparisions Between Cubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WARNING: This post is quite outdated (circa 2007); there are many other cubes out on the market right now, continue at your own risk!

Thanks to Lofty for the idea; hopefully this will reduce clutter.

Blank entries indicate I have not used the cube and/or don't have enough info on them.

For a quick difference between Studio and Rubiks.com cubes here.

Rubik's Cube
Pros: Widely available, cheap, reacts well to silicone lubricant.
Cons: Needs to be broken in, not good for cutting corners.
Where to buy: www.rubiks.com, www.toysrus.com
Notes: After breaking in, becomes very loose (sometimes looser than DIYs can be made)

Rubik's 25th Anniversary Cube
Pros: Reacts very well to silicone lubricant, turns easily after breaking in.
Cons: Needs to be broken in, not amazing for cutting corners.
Where to buy: www.ebay.com
Notes: After breaking in, becomes very loose (sometimes looser than DIYs can be made)

Studio Cube
See Rama's thread.

Rubik's Deluxe
Pros:
Cons:
Where to buy:

Rubik's DIY
Pros: Cuts corners well, turns easily.
Cons: Comparatively expensive, high shipping costs, center caps fall out easily.
Where to buy: www.rubiks.com

Chinese DIYs (cube4you, 9spuzzles)
Pros: Cuts corners well, turns easily, indentations in center caps cause them to fall out less frequently.
Cons: High shipping costs, performance varies between type and cube color.
Where to buy: www.cube4you.com, www.9spuzzles.com, www.opticubes.com, eBay (puzzleproz)
Notes: Comes in three different types: (a), (b), and (c). Some cubes only available in certain types. Many colors to choose from. White and green cubes turn best, as well as some transparent cubes (WARNING: transparent cubes are NOT competition-legal)

Edison Cube
Pros: Cuts corners well, adjustable centers, turns easily
Cons: Only available in Korea (essentially).
Where to buy: www.onhobby.com

Famwealth Magic Cube
Pros: No springs = higher turning speed.
Cons: Does not turn well, cannot cut corners.
Where to buy: www.ebay.com, www.mefferts.com

---------------

Rubik's Revenge (pre-retooling)
Pros: Turns smoothly, cuts corners well, sides fairly balanced, reacts well to lube.
Cons: Needs to be broken in to have the 'pros', pieces may break easily, broken-in cubes are very loose.
Where to buy: http://www.ebay.com

Rubik's Revenge (retooled)
Pros: Turns smoothly, cuts corners reasonably well, very little breaking in time, sides fairly balanced, reacts well to lube.
Cons: Quality varies from cube to cube.
Where to buy: www.rubiks.com www.toysrus.com, www.amazon.com

Studio 4x4x4
See Rubik's Revenge.

Eastsheen 4x4x4
Pros: Can be used for speedcubing out of the box, requires no lubing or sanding.
Cons: Prone to lock-ups, gradually becomes worse over time.
Where to buy: ebay.com (huskyomega, puzzleproz), www.opticubes.com, mefferts.com, www.cube4you.com, www.9spuzzles.com,
Notes: 6cm in each dimension; smaller than the other 4x4x4 cubes. Purple replaces orange by default.

----------------

Rubik's Professor
Pros: Available.
Cons: Pieces may break; requires breaking in, may require sanding, outer layers don't turn as well as inner layers.
Where to buy: www.rubiks.com, www.amazon.com
Notes: Can be broken in into an extremely nice cube, which is very comparable with Olympic Cubes and the Mefferts cubes.

Studio 5x5x5
See Rubik's 5x5x5.

Mefferts 5x5x5 (Limited Edition)
Pros: Outer layers and inner layers turn equally well, adjustable + spring-loaded core.
Cons: Relatively expensive, odd color scheme (red vs. white), tiles fall off easily, LIMITED QUANTITY.
Where to buy: www.mefferts.com

Mefferts 5x5x5 (Collector's Special)
Pros: Outer layers and inner layers turn equally well, adjustable + spring-loaded core.
Cons: Relatively expensive, stickers need almost immediate replacement, tensions need to be very fine-tuned or risk wing pops, LIMITED QUANTITY.
Where to buy: www.mefferts.com

Eastsheen 5x5x5
Pros: Can be used for speedcubing out of the box, requires no lubing or sanding.
Cons: Becomes looser over time, becomes more prone to pops over time.
Where to buy: (huskyomega, puzzleproz), www.opticubes.com, www.mefferts.com, www.cube4you.com, www.9spuzzles.com
Notes: 6cm in each dimension, much significantly smaller than other 5x5x5's, same size as Eastsheen 4x4x4. Purple replaces orange by default.

----------

Eastsheen 2x2x2
Pros: Can be used for speedcubing out of the box, does not require lubing, improves over time, larger than other 2x2x2 cubes.
Cons: Cannot cut corners at first, possible after breaking in.
Where to buy: (huskyomega, www.opticubes.com, www.mefferts.com, www.cube4you.com, www.9spuzzles.com
Notes: 5 cm in each dimension. Purple replaces orange by default.

Studio Pocket Cube
Pros:
Cons:
Where to buy:

Rubik's Mini Cube / Junior
Pros: Availability.
Cons: Pieces break relatively easily, hard to turn (even after lubing), falls apart often.
Notes: Very difficult to reassemble.

Rubik's Ice Cube
Pros: Looks neat, slightly smoother than the Rubik's Mini.
Cons: Pieces break relatively easily, falls apart often.
Notes: WARNING: this cube is NOT competition-legal.

Last edited:

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very good post and quick too!
Some things can be filled in from old posts I have read and I have a famwealth... (came in the set with my eastsheens lol) no springs in it means less friction and high turning speed lol. (like that makes up for anything)
Also on the Studio cube I can't seem to find the post but they seem to pop frequently and require breaking in.
People seem to want to know what the "best" cube is so would it be worthwhile noting that most people use DIY but with enough breaking in even store cubes can become just as loose?

dboeren

Can you please add puzzleproz to the list of dealers for the chinese cubes? They are located in the US so shipping is cheaper, I think they basically buy in bulk from one of the chinese places and resell them here.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you please add puzzleproz to the list of dealers for the chinese cubes? They are located in the US so shipping is cheaper, I think they basically buy in bulk from one of the chinese places and resell them here.

I didn't add it initially because it's a forum, not an online 'shop', per se... opticubes.com is also a site which is based in the US.

If there is any reason to add puzzleproz, let me know.

h3ndrik

well puzzleproz.com is a forum, which is connected to his store. he is an ebay power seller. doesn't that count for you as an online shop?

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i didn't want to start a new thread just for this. does anyone know what's the difference between?
Rubik's Blank 3x3 Cube® Kit (PVC)
Rubik's Blank 3x3 Cube® Kit
i found these two on rubiks.com they are diy kits. same price...10$.
and btw...is the shipping from rubiks.com ok? do they send fast? cause i heard some had some problems.

abbracadiabra

i didn't want to start a new thread just for this. does anyone know what's the difference between?
Rubik's Blank 3x3 Cube® Kit (PVC)
Rubik's Blank 3x3 Cube® Kit
i found these two on rubiks.com they are diy kits. same price...10$.
and btw...is the shipping from rubiks.com ok? do they send fast? cause i heard some had some problems.

The difference is only in the stickers. PVC stickers last longer than the standard stickers, but the colors aren't as bright (i.e., they aren't as readily distinguished from each other). Personally, I'm not crazy about either type of sticker. I'm much happier with the lexan tiles that cubesmith sells. They are both bright and long-lasting.

As for Rubiks.com shipping - they are based in Canada, so products take an extra day or two to ship into the United States (not a major deal). But, they are reliable and dependable - they process the order quickly and email you with a tracking number so you'll know when to expect delivery.

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
thanks for the answer. i live in EU, so i have to search for their shipping policy etc on their site.

for the mods.: if you have time maybe you can also insert in the first post something about the rubik's studio cubes. there's not much info about them
thanks

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure the 2 meffert's 5x5s are almost identical. The only didfference is probably the color scheme, since the Limited Edition one has the tiles already put on. Also, are you going to include the new type of studio cubes, mainly because you're getting them? I would also maybe suggest reviewing the older studio big cubes, just incase people can find them on eBay.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure the 2 meffert's 5x5s are almost identical. The only didfference is probably the color scheme, since the Limited Edition one has the tiles already put on. Also, are you going to include the new type of studio cubes, mainly because you're getting them? I would also maybe suggest reviewing the older studio big cubes, just incase people can find them on eBay.

Again, I don't have any information on Studio cubes except that they come in a blue box and are from Hungary.

If someone would like to contribute their thoughts on their Studio cubes, then they are welcome to; I cannot do this.

I will probably differentiate between the retooled ones and the older ones once I can try them both, or someone says how they compare.

As for the Mefferts cubes, I will have the opportunity to compare them when I get my Collector's Edition in November.

watermelon

WCA
2007STER01
Might I suggest adding 2x2x2s to the list?

At the moment, I can only think of 4 types:
Eastsheen 2x2x2
Studio Pocket Cube
Rubik's Mini Cube
Rubik's Ice Cube

I believe the Rubik's Junior Cube is identical to the Rubik's Mini Cube with different stickers.

I'd be glad to add some info as well (I've tried out 3/4 of these :)).

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have gotten a Studio 3x3x3 and several Studio 4x4x4 and 5x5x5. These are my conclusions:

3x3x3: To stiff, no springs. Even after breaking it in and lubing it I wouldn't recommend one. Get a 25th anniversary instead if you want an original Rubiks cube that is not DIY.

4x4x4: Pretty stiff, but stable out of the box. Very good after breaking in and lubing. Edges start popping out after a couple of months. Probably the best older model 4x4x4 if you get a good one.

5x5x5: Extremely stiff, but stable out of the box. It takes a very long time to break in, especically the outer layers. The process of breaking in can be shortened by shaving of some of the internal parts. Shaving to much can have the effect of popping edges or twisting centers though. Probably the best older model 5x5x5 if you put in the time and work.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So the studio 5x5 and 4x4 are almost exactly the same as if you were "lucky" in your rubiks.com cubes. Those descriptions both remind me of my big cubes that I got from toys 'r us. I think the quality of the studio cubes is just better, which is why you almost always get a good cube after breaking it in.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I take it those are for the Studios before retooled parts? If so, I'll need an opinion (most likely from either masterofthebass or watermelon, who are both getting the new ones) for the newer ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.