• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It would be really cool if we had an option for full on nostalgia mode and could switch back to 2007-2009 speedsolving view.

If that wasn't possible, maybe the old 4x4 in the header would be great for nostalgia and sentimentality.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
I think the forum in general is fine for the vast majority of its users. I think long time members are leaving or lurking because we don't feel we have much of anything to contribute to the community. My suggestion is to give older cubers a sub-forum or section to hang out in where we do feel that we can contribute interesting or relevant things.
i'm still very much missing the old forums, where i just click home and see everything i need
now i need to take a couple of clicks.
Not a suggestion, but an observation:
It seemed like a vast amount of long-time posters jumped ship when the forum was upgraded and there was a big influx of new members. The mods seemed to vanish too, as post quality deteriorated badly. (I understand a lot of their work goes unseen but certainly they weren't posting regularly.) It's settled down a lot now, and obviously it's great to have a lot of new contributors but I do feel there's been a bit of a brain drain. I guess that's the way it goes as people get older.

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Not a suggestion, but an observation:
It seemed like a vast amount of long-time posters jumped ship when the forum was upgraded and there was a big influx of new members. The mods seemed to vanish too, as post quality deteriorated badly. (I understand a lot of their work goes unseen but certainly they weren't posting regularly.) It's settled down a lot now, and obviously it's great to have a lot of new contributors but I do feel there's been a bit of a brain drain. I guess that's the way it goes as people get older.

For me personally, i used to read everything and post regularly back in the day, but after the forum upgrade, it jusn't didn't seem convenient anymore, and after a while i just stopped checking the forums at all.

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me personally, i used to read everything and post regularly back in the day, but after the forum upgrade, it jusn't didn't seem convenient anymore, and after a while i just stopped checking the forums at all.
I don't understand this. How did you / do you access the site? via bookmark? or do you type in the address?

The forum itself has more features that help in navigation, as far as I can tell. For example, when I quote your post like this you will get an alert with a link to this post. As well as being able to use @ followed by a username to also notify members the same way.
You can still subscribe to threads and sub-forums. You can still view all new posts, with the list showing you all unread threads with a break after those that were posted since your last visit.

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
I don't understand this. How did you / do you access the site? via bookmark? or do you type in the address?

The forum itself has more features that help in navigation, as far as I can tell. For example, when I quote your post like this you will get an alert with a link to this post. As well as being able to use @ followed by a username to also notify members the same way.
You can still subscribe to threads and sub-forums. You can still view all new posts, with the list showing you all unread threads with a break after those that were posted since your last visit.
idk, man. all of that stuff is nice. maybe i'm just not fit for change :)

i used to have a bookmark for the "home", that doesn't work anymore. is home equal to new posts?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a couple of suggestions regarding alerts
  1. If I have an alert telling me about a new post but then access the thread directly then the alert stays active. I'd prefer it to clear automatically.
  2. If I have several different alerts and click on one of them then they all become inactive. Personally I'd prefer the ones I haven't accessed to stay active unless accessed in some way, but to have an option to clear everything

wir3sandfir3s

If the site is keeping track of it for you to see, the people managing the site can still see it, we just know we are being stalked. In fact, we could actually be being stalked by the people managing the forums right now... pjk???

SenorJuan

If a user has no avatar, can a blank space ( or white square ) be used as the default, rather than the blue-grey question-mark icon, please?
A blank/empty space (or 90x1 image? ) would take up less space (than an 90 pixel square), and would thus reduce the length of threads, as the 'user box' is often twice the height of the post accompanying it.
On this 'user box' subject, the 'Post Count' and 'Number of Likes' could be on the same line.

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
If a user has no avatar, can a blank space ( or white square ) be used as the default, rather than the blue-grey question-mark icon, please?
A blank/empty space (or 90x1 image? ) would take up less space (than an 90 pixel square), and would thus reduce the length of threads, as the 'user box' is often twice the height of the post accompanying it.
On this 'user box' subject, the 'Post Count' and 'Number of Likes' could be on the same line.
But I like taking up more space- it makes me feel more important.

SenorJuan

I've just had a tinker with my avatar, pretty disappointing results. If it's more than twice as big in one direction than the other, it's not allowed. If it's less than 90 pixels, it gets zoomed up in size, so a 45 x 90 image would end up heavily clipped left and right and zoomed in 2x. So my request is something the webmasters would have to do.