• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Common Beginner misconceptions/myths

Matt—

At my school, I teach a lot of people how to solve cubes/introduce them to CFOP. However, they always seem to have a few things that confuse them/people have drilled into their heads from beginners method.

#1. There is not really a difference between intuitive f2l, and advanced f2l.

Obviously, there is a difference between them. However, cubers who want to learn f2l often think that they need to learn “advanced f2l” and this is not the case. Almost all of f2l is intuitive, and should be learned intuitively. (Maybe this is just a problem at my school.)

#2. You don’t need a top of the line speedcube to be fast.

A really amazing speedcube will not make you faster, especially if it is not set up properly. A ton of people at my school are getting GAN 354 m's just because I have one. Having a cheap/moderate speedcube will be just fine, and will serve you well until you get faster.

#3. CFOP is extremely difficult and I cannot learn it.

I used to think this as well, and didn’t really even try to learn any advanced methods. However, I found a good tutorial and learned it in no time. When I teach people CFOP I go at a very slow, easy to understand pace and gradually introduce more advanced concepts like 4LLL and f2l. It is not very complicated, and usually the only thing holding you back is a bad tutorial or the mindset that you can not do it.

If you are a beginner I hope this helped. These are just some things I personally notice at my school, and maybe there are other things. Please reply with other beginner misconceptions.

Last edited:

Hazel

Premium Member
One thing that I hear a lot, although this is mostly from non-cubers and might not be universally applicable to beginners, is that different puzzles aren't really harder or easier to solve. Once you learn how to do it, it's always super easy. A 9x9 is just as easy as a 2x2, the only "difficulty" in higher-order puzzles or puzzles with lots of pieces like a megaminx is simply finding the piece you're looking for (like searching for the blue/white edge piece and just not being able to find it).
Some puzzles are difficult to initially learn how to solve though, but the more experienced you are the easier it is to learn new puzzles. I was able to figure out myself how to solve the gigaminx with relative ease with no tutorials whatsoever, but initially learning how to solve a 4x4 was much harder.

YouTube
Visit Channel
For F2L, I feel like it really depends on someone's preference. I'm more of an algs person with F2L, mostly becuz it's less thinking and more "immediate" execution to every F2L case.

#2 is very true. I improved with cheap cubes. Sub-1 (Guhong) -----> Sub-30 (Guanlong) -------> Sub-20 (MF3RS2)

#3 CFOP is still difficult xd
I had to use Lazy CFOP to become sub-30. Then switched to Petrus/Lazy-CFOP.

Other myths:
- You have to learn all PLLs and get good with lookahead to become sub-20.
(Truth: Not always, I became sub-20 without lookahead. However, this is an easier approach, but takes a long time, unless you're Max Park.)

- More algs = Better times
(Truth: Better algs = Better times)

Matt—

For F2L, I feel like it really depends on someone's preference. I'm more of an algs person with F2L, mostly becuz it's less thinking and more "immediate" execution to every F2L case.

#2 is very true. I improved with cheap cubes. Sub-1 (Guhong) -----> Sub-30 (Guanlong) -------> Sub-20 (MF3RS2)

#3 CFOP is still difficult xd
I had to use Lazy CFOP to become sub-30. Then switched to Petrus/Lazy-CFOP.

Other myths:
- You have to learn all PLLs and get good with lookahead to become sub-20.
(Truth: Not always, I became sub-20 without lookahead. However, this is an easier approach, but takes a long time, unless you're Max Park.)

- More algs = Better times
(Truth: Better algs = Better times)
They way I teach CFOP is quite simple. First I teach them how to solve the cube white down, the same way as beginners, just with their cross down. Then I introduce like a 5 - 6LLL to introduce them into oll and pll. Then after they understand that I teach them 4LLL and f2l and better cross.

Rubix Noob

#2. You don’t need a top of the line speedcube.

A really amazing speedcube will not make you faster, especially if it is not set up properly. A ton of people at my school are getting GAN 354 m's just because I have one. Having a cheap/moderate speedcube will be just fine, and will serve you well until you get faster.
I agree with this, but it still is worth it. when I switched from Warrior W to 354, I didn't get much faster, but the cube feels WAY better and it is more fun to solve, which IMO is better than being really fast.

Matt—

I agree with this, but it still is worth it. when I switched from Warrior W to 354, I didn't get much faster, but the cube feels WAY better and it is more fun to solve, which IMO is better than being really fast.
I’m not saying get a really crappy speedcube, get a decent cube that you will like. However, when someone gets a GAN and can’t solve a cube/averages like 60-1:30 seconds, you don’t need one. Also, the people who do have GAN cubes don’t even know how to change the GES nuts, so all of their cubes are way too loose.

Rubix Noob

I’m not saying get a really crappy speedcube, get a decent cube that you will like. However, when someone gets a GAN and can’t solve a cube/averages like 60-1:30 seconds, you don’t need one. Also, the people who do have GAN cubes don’t even know how to change the GES nuts, so all of their cubes are way too loose.
Yeah I get what you mean. A budget cube is fine until sub-30, but most people don't think so. :/

Matt—

Yeah I get what you mean. A budget cube is fine until sub-30, but most people don't think so. :/
I don’t think I had my 354 until I at least had a sub 20 single and averaged like mid 20. But then again, maybe it is okay to have a good cube even if you are slow, just so that you enjoy cubing and are motivated more.

CraZZ CFOP

WCA
2018HUGE02
OK:
1. Agreed, but still, slight modifications are needed to make the first F2L that somebody does more efficient. (Ex. taking pieces out the smart way.) However, F2L cases should still be learned intuitively.
2. Agreed, as long as you don't have a Rubik's Brand or worse. (This is not true with 5-6x6+) However, once you are like sub-15-20, you may want to start using a "good" speedcube (A.K.A. Has decent corner cutting, has bearable speed + preformance, etc. Not required, but reccomended)
3. CFOP is a little difficult to learn, but it is not as hard to learn to somebody who knows beginners method than for non-cubers to learn beginners method. (ZZ, Roux, and Petrus may be a little trickier, but not very hard nonetheless.)

Matt—

OK:
1. Agreed, but still, slight modifications are needed to make the first F2L that somebody does more efficient. (Ex. taking pieces out the smart way.) However, F2L cases should still be learned intuitively.
2. Agreed, as long as you don't have a Rubik's Brand or worse. (This is not true with 5-6x6+) However, once you are like sub-15-20, you may want to start using a "good" speedcube (A.K.A. Has decent corner cutting, has bearable speed + preformance, etc. Not required, but reccomended)
3. CFOP is a little difficult to learn, but it is not as hard to learn to somebody who knows beginners method than for non-cubers to learn beginners method. (ZZ, Roux, and Petrus may be a little trickier, but not very hard nonetheless.)
I think I’m going to make a beginner sub 30 tutorial that transitions from beginners to CFOP and eventually they will be sub 30.

Last edited:
L

lucarubik

That’s kind of what I meant. I just didn’t word it that way
you should fix that, its confusing the way its worded, for #1 and #2 you are saying this is true but for #3 all of a sudden its this is not true
i'd say most people understood you, but only most :3
I had a bit of trouble myself since english is not my native language and #1 is arguable

Matt—

you should fix that, its confusing the way its worded, for #1 and #2 you are saying this is true but for #3 all of a sudden its this is not true
i'd say most people understood you, but only most :3
I had a bit of trouble myself since english is not my native language and #1 is arguable
Okay, changed it. Also, I know #1 is debatable. But in my opinion all of f2l should be solved intuitively. Even if you use a more algorithmic f2l, you should still know how it works.

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A cube can improve performances by a lot, even if the cuber is more important. I was barely sub-20 with a 1-year old MF3RS2M, I got a GAN 356 Air SM and dropped to sub-18.

Matt—

In all honesty, if you are teaching lots of people to cube then why not sell them cubes yourself, this way you can select good budget cubes and get them interested.
Cuz my parents don’t want to buy heaps of cubes...