• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Come here if you speak another language other than English

F.P.

"Am meistens" should be just "Meinstes höre ich ..." if you mean "mostly". "Am meisten" should be correct, too, but currently it sounds odd to me. I don't know why o_O.

"Meistens", not "meinstes"...typo I guess. ;)

Thanks, i fixed that.

Komisches Beispiel übrigens :p.

Was hättest du denn genommen? ;)
Oder assoziierst du mit "Die" gleich eine Frau? :p Dachte dabei eher an Gummibärchen oder sowas. :eek:

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"Am meistens" should be just "Meinstes höre ich ..." if you mean "mostly". "Am meisten" should be correct, too, but currently it sounds odd to me. I don't know why o_O.

"Meistens", not "meinstes"...typo I guess. ;)

Thanks, i fixed that.

Komisches Beispiel übrigens :p.

Was hättest du denn genommen? ;)
Oder assoziierst du mit "Die" gleich eine Frau? :p Dachte dabei eher an Gummibärchen oder sowas. :eek:

Ehrlich gesagt, ja :p. Meinte eigentlich komisch, weil sich das zweite nicht unbedingt seltsam anhört.

blah

brah
Crap... not only am I illiterate, my native language does not have a writing system... (rely on borrowed words)

Lee gam zhai ya, ben so zhi duo wee?

I thought you once mentioned that your grandfather was from Taiwan...?

not_kevin

WCA
2008YOUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dene I understood everything except the "poku" I think I would used "watashi" instead. I don't know how to write hiragana.

It's "boku", not "poku". And generally males use boku and females use watashi (at least by my understanding). However I think it is commonly changing in Japan so that younger people use boku, while older people use watashi. I'm not certain on that, but of course things do change (especially as they get more "westernised").

From my limited knowledge of Japanese, "boku" is strictly for males. A girl using boku would raise eyebrows, but a guy saying watashi would not, as watashi is a generic "I".

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your German is really good, i almost couldn't find any mistakes and understood everything perfectly :).
Just some minor corrections:

"die aus Deutschland gereist sind" has to be "die aus Deutschland angereist ist". That's because one family is singular, so it's "ist" instead of "sind". And if you want to say, that someone travels from a specific location you say "anreisen". "Er ist aus Deutschland angereist".

"Am meistens" should be just "Meistens höre ich ..." if you mean "mostly". "Am meisten" should be correct, too, but currently it sounds odd to me. I don't know why o_O.

btw. I don't want to be offensive with my corrections, i hope they'll help you.

Tim, no you are not being offensive at all! I very much appreciate your corrections, as I really do want to continue to improve my German. I think I'm on the border between only knowing academic German ("book deutsch" we call it here) and some fluency. There are many words such as foods and things that I simply do not know. So in that sense I would have an extremely difficult time describing a dinner recipe to someone in German. Day to day conversations and interactions I can at least get my point across, even if I sound funny in doing so haha.

I will definitely take note on those points though, and thank you for being patient enough to supply the advice ;-)

Chris

F.P.

That's nice, Chris.

I think you should try to have conversations with german-speaking people as often as possible to get this "fluency" in it.
I have learned bits (and more ;) )of several languages with the help of the internet and I think with the knowledge you already got, it will be easy to improve pretty fast.

Sin-H

WCA
2007HUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Suppör. Des Thema han i bishär nö geör nid gseana. Des findi ächt luschtig, wänn dô jedr oafach nur i sînöre Muöttörsprôch duörönandreedat.

And now in standard German:
Super. Hab dieses Thema bisher gar nicht gesehen. Ich finde das ganz witzig, wenn hier jeder einfach mal in seiner Muttersprache durcheinanderspricht.

Henxu

WCA
2008YEHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
有 沒 有 別 人 用 繁 體?

我觉得没人吧 :D

He said : If another people does use the traditional chinese (because there is a traditional and a simple chinese)
I answered : I think not.

Here is mine XD

Saludos, cómo te llamas?

El nick me parecía conocido, y ahora que he visto tu perfil tenés un nombre asiático pero vivís en España. ¿De dónde sos exactamente?

P.D.: Mi castellano no es el común de España.

[English]: The nick seems to me known, and I've seen your WCA profile and I noticed your name is asiatic, but you live in Spain. Where are you from?

P.D.: My spanish isn't from Spain.
Bueno, nací en España y vivo en España
Tengo nacionalidad española pero soy chino

Traduction:
Well, I born in Spain and I live in Spain
I have Spanish nacionality but I'm chinese.

Raffael

WCA
2007ORTR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Suppör. Des Thema han i bishär nö geör nid gseana. Des findi ächt luschtig, wänn dô jedr oafach nur i sînöre Muöttörsprôch duörönandreedat.

haha, die Ösis wieder :)
sind ja doch noch einige deutschsprachige mehr hier unterwegs als ich dachte.

i'm too lazy to translate word for word,
basically, i'm just amazed that there are so many people capable of german on this forum

by the way: no offense to any austrians :)

we've actually got some extra letter with dots over an "a", an "o" and an "u".
sounds pretty much the same as "ae", "oe" and "ue".

hey chris: how come you're german is so good and you're interested in it that much?
got any relatives or sth over here?

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hey chris: how come you're german is so good and you're interested in it that much?
got any relatives or sth over here?

Hey Raffael,

In high school I got tired of being the dumb american who only knows one language while people all over the world, especially Europe, know multiple.

The reason I studied German in particular was because I used to live there on Ramstein air force base when I was very young. We lived there from 1985-1989, and I remember the country and many of the places we visited. I did not ever learn any of the language, other than simple words from my Dad like "bitte", "danke", "Milch" etc. I really enjoyed my time in Germany, and I really like the way the language sounds.

I very much want to be able to call myself fluent, and I feel that if I keep working on it that I could one day say that I speak fluent German without feeling self confident about it, but actually believe it.

Ich will mal nach Deutschland reisen, aber mir ist es noch ein bisschen teur. Ich spare mein Geld schon für WC2009, und vielleicht wenn ich eine Stelle bekomme, die wirklich eine Karriere ist, kann ich mehr sparen um öfter reisen zu können. Jetzt höre ich fast jeden Tag Deutsche Welle an, weil es immer Unterhaltungen gibt. Tim, danke für deine Empfehlung die Musik von "Wir sind Helden" auszuprobieren. Jetzt ist diese Gruppe eine meiner lieblingsten. ;-)

Chris

P.S. Ich habe gehört, dass man "weisst" und "bisschen" statt "weißt" und "bißchen" im Internet schreibt. Macht man das wirklich?

blah

brah
There was a plane crash?! I only know about the Hindenburg thingy in 1930-something :p

Raffael

WCA
2007ORTR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Chris:
Falls du mal nach Deutschland kommst, kannst du mich mich jederzeit gerne für ein paar Tage besuchen, um Geld für eine Unterkunft zu sparen.

In den 90ern gab es in Deutschland eine Rechtschreibreform mit der 'ß' in vielen Wörtern durch 'ss' ersetzt wurde (unter Anderem).
Aber da meistens noch nicht einmal die Lehrer in der Schule die neuen Rechtschreibregeln verstanden haben, hat sich das Ganze bis heute kaum durchgesetzt.:)
Falls es also jemandem überhaupt mal auffällt, wenn man irgendwas noch nach den alten Regeln schreibt, wird es niemand übel nehmen.

As for the Ramstein disaster:
Yeah, that was really terrible.
I was living in Belgium near the NATO Headquarters (SHAPE) at that time and really loved watching the american airshows.
I'm really glad nothing ever happened during one of those shows.

Apart from that, it's quite nice to go to school on such an important military base. There were bomb-warnings like every two weeks, which normally meant: No more school for the rest of the day because all the kids were evacuated to the church.:cool: