• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Choosing the right set of cubes.

Siyabonga

I already have a few 3x3 speed cubes but I want to expand the collection to other n-order cubes. I was looking at the Mofang Jiaoshi cubing classroom and I saw on the review that either the stickerless or the black version has an MF3 instead of the newer MF3RS. The problem is I don't know which one has the MF3RS (which is the one I want) and I don't want to buy the wrong one. It's not very easy to get information on cubing and twisty puzzle products in my country (South Africa). Please help a brother out. Please also reccomend a cheap cube that's suitable for competitions.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I already have a few 3x3 speed cubes but I want to expand the collection to other n-order cubes. I was looking at the Mofang Jiaoshi cubing classroom and I saw on the review that either the stickerless or the black version has an MF3 instead of the newer MF3RS. The problem is I don't know which one has the MF3RS (which is the one I want) and I don't want to buy the wrong one. It's not very easy to get information on cubing and twisty puzzle products in my country (South Africa). Please help a brother out. Please also reccomend a cheap cube that's suitable for competitions.
If you are looking at getting a variety of cubes (such as 2x2/3x3-7x7, and any other cube) then I would recommend that you refrain from purchasing the Mofang set, but rather to check out this thread, which has all the different cubes in the various price ranges: https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/up-to-date-best-cubes-on-the-market.70815/

There are plenty of really good (yet cheap) cubes for competitions. Some of those cubes being the MF3RS2 and Yuxin Little Magic, although both of those cubes I think are much better if you add magnets (especially the Yuxin Little Magic).

Please ask more question as you have them.

Foreright

MF3RS2 is definitely better than MF3RS v1, it's pretty much a GTS2

This is very much a matter of personal preference I’m afraid - I happen to like the RS much more than the RS2 even in magnetic form. I can’t really pin down what I don’t like about the RS2 either... Mind you the GTS2M is leagues ahead of both for me.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I know this reply may be a bit late, but depending where you are in South Africa, you may be able to find a Hamleys Toy Store that stocks a limited range of cubes. I live in Gauteng, and I know the one in Sandton does, and the Menlyn one did last time I was there. I don't know about the Cape Town or Durban branches though. If you ask nicely, they let you try the cubes, so you can feel the difference between an MF3 and MF3RS. Their range isn't that great, but they have most of the more popular Moyu and Mofang Jiaoshi cubes for a pretty reasonable price.

Get yourself a cheap cube, and then come to a competition. There you can try out other peoples cubes and get an idea what sort of cube you prefer. Most puzzles are decent these days, and a lot of it comes down to personal preference.