• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Canadian NR] Kian Mansour - 6.86 3x3 average

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
He needs a sub-5 single. (He has a sub-7 average, a sub-5 single would earn total respect to himself and much more respect to roux)

I think averages are more respected than singles in general? Also, it's pretty unlikely as CFOP tends to get fast singles more often than Roux

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At least sub-5.3 or so. @PenguinsDontFly? Good luck.

Let's be honest though, the only single that'll actually get recognition by impressionable/new cubers would be a WR. Experienced cubers already know that Roux is a viable method because of this average (and many others), not because of a theoretical lucky single.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
At least sub-5.3 or so. @PenguinsDontFly? Good luck.
NR Single would be coool :) Thanks, I'll see what I can do
Let's be honest though, the only single that'll actually get recognition by impressionable/new cubers would be a WR. Experienced cubers already know that Roux is a viable method because of this average (and many others), not because of a theoretical lucky single.
Yeah I see what you mean. So many people are getting sub 6 and now even sub 5 singles that a random roux one wouldn't really make a difference unless it's WR. Obviously I would be happy with a nice single, but nobody else would care haha

You might be right. While I do use CFOP, I think methods like roux and ZZ can be equally as fast, and deserve more credit. Sub-7 average and sub-5 single basically prove that a method and the people that use that method can be equally as fast as people like Zemdegs, Valk, Park, Etter, etc.

Last edited:

Sue Doenim

It doesn't...
What do you mean it doesn't? You literally just said sub 7 average and sub 5 single don't mean that you're as fast as this list of people, and that's what most of them have, if even that! People need to get out of the mindset that CFOP is the only viable method for speed, while in reality it is arguably worse (Then again, so are Roux and ZZ). I personally think it's fine, but I don't use it.

U

Underwatercuber

"You might be right. While I do use CFOP, I think methods like roux and ZZ can be equally as fast, and deserve more credit. Sub-7 average and sub-5 average basically prove that a method and the people that use that method can be equally as fast as people like Zemdegs, Valk, Park, Etter, etc."

Just because they get a sub 7 average and sub 5 single doesn't mean that the method can be equally fast. Feliks has an official average almost a full second faster and even has much faster averages at home most (I think I can even say all?) roux users at home averages. Yes it does prove the method can be fast but it hasn't been proven yet (and it might not be proven ever) that it is EQUALLY as fast. I am hoping Kian can get some nice averages and singles soon though :)

efattah

"You might be right. While I do use CFOP, I think methods like roux and ZZ can be equally as fast, and deserve more credit. Sub-7 average and sub-5 average basically prove that a method and the people that use that method can be equally as fast as people like Zemdegs, Valk, Park, Etter, etc."

Just because they get a sub 7 average and sub 5 single doesn't mean that the method can be equally fast. Feliks has an official average almost a full second faster and even has much faster averages at home most (I think I can even say all?) roux users at home averages. Yes it does prove the method can be fast but it hasn't been proven yet (and it might not be proven ever) that it is EQUALLY as fast. I am hoping Kian can get some nice averages and singles soon though :)

This might not be fully correct. If you really want to be 'anal' in terms of statistics, you need to compare Roux averages to CFOP averages adjusting for the number of people who are using each method. You can 'weed down' the CFOP crowd by taking a random sampling, say randomly pick 1 in every 1000 CFOP users from the database. Then use their averages to compare to Roux solvers. For the comparison to be valid you need to comparing equal sample sizes. Since luck plays a role in fast singles, if you have 1000 times more people using one method, then obviously that group will also have the luckiest solves as well.

U

Underwatercuber

This might not be fully correct. If you really want to be 'anal' in terms of statistics, you need to compare Roux averages to CFOP averages adjusting for the number of people who are using each method. You can 'weed down' the CFOP crowd by taking a random sampling, say randomly pick 1 in every 1000 CFOP users from the database. Then use their averages to compare to Roux solvers. For the comparison to be valid you need to comparing equal sample sizes. Since luck plays a role in fast singles, if you have 1000 times more people using one method, then obviously that group will also have the luckiest solves as well.
I'm not comparing which is faster I am comparing to what @Competition Cuber said earlier about sub 7 average and sub 5 single proves roux users can be as fast as the mentioned people. Feliks has a sub 6 average so getting a sub 7 doesn't prove that it is just as fast fast in that case and literally every single person mentioned has an official average faster than Kian. Yes roux can be used to set records even if it is "less lucky" but for the time being it doesn't really prove it can be "as fast"

WCA
2017JIAA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not comparing which is faster I am comparing to what @Competition Cuber said earlier about sub 7 average and sub 5 single proves roux users can be as fast as the mentioned people. Feliks has a sub 6 average so getting a sub 7 doesn't prove that it is just as fast fast in that case and literally every single person mentioned has an official average faster than Kian. Yes roux can be used to set records even if it is "less lucky" but for the time being it doesn't really prove it can be "as fast"
But Kian at home proves it. 6.6 global average.