• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Can someone recommend a cube for me?

metgo

I've been using the same cube for years and it is about worn out. I want to get a new one but wasn't sure what to get. I usually just get one from walmart, break it in for about a month and I'm good. It appears there is some better options out there nowadays. I've done some reading on this forum and I don't understand the terminology of the type a,b,c ect. When I go to rubiks.com there is like 2 or 3 options and I don't see anything about differ t types.

I'm just looking for a cube that cuts corners extremely well and isn't too fast of a cube. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy from?

taiga

You can buy A-V and F-II from Lightake. (or USA based stores if you live in USA)

If you could buy only one cube, I recommend F-II. But I strongly recommend you should buy A-V and F-II together. (~20$ + free shipping) So you can choose which one is to be your main cube.

http://www.lightake.com/detail.do/sku.3x3x3_SE_Magic_Intelligence_Test_Cube_White_-27102 (F-II white)

http://www.lightake.com/detail.do/sku.3x3x3_Type_A_Magic_Cube_DIY_Kit_5th_Gen_White-25262 (A-V white)

PS: I am not an expert, only a beginner.

Doughnut

You can buy A-V and F-II from Lightake. (or USA based stores if you live in USA)

If you could buy only one cube, I recommend F-II. But I strongly recommend you should buy A-V and F-II together. (~20$ + free shipping) So you can choose which one is to be your main cube.

http://www.lightake.com/detail.do/sku.3x3x3_SE_Magic_Intelligence_Test_Cube_White_-27102 (F-II white)

http://www.lightake.com/detail.do/sku.3x3x3_Type_A_Magic_Cube_DIY_Kit_5th_Gen_White-25262 (A-V white)

I was just about to make a thread to get a site to ship to Sweden and it seems like this site do for no cost if I buy for more than 15 USD, that's really amazing!

Do you know if they have the origial TYPE A DIY cube. I see this magic TYPA A, is it the same?

Whyusosrs?

I was just about to make a thread to get a site to ship to Sweden and it seems like this site do for no cost if I buy for more than 15 USD, that's really amazing!

Do you know if they have the origial TYPE A DIY cube. I see this magic TYPA A, is it the same?

They do. If you go into the gj category under magic cube, there is type a in there.

Doughnut

They do. If you go into the gj category under magic cube, there is type a in there.

Yeah I noticed but the thing I wondered was that is "DIY cube TYPA A" same as a "Magic cube DIY TYPE A" or is there a diffrence?

CitricAcid

WCA
2009TALK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Contrary to everyone, I don't think you should purchase an F-Cube. They feel very cheap, hollow, and in my opinion, don't feel good to cube with. My personal recommendation is the AV. They feel solid, and are just really good cubes you can't go wrong with in my opinion.

maggot

In respect to original post, if you want a cube that does not turn so fast but cut corners well... not too sure what cube this is.. the A5 is def a good cube and I am sure you will come to respect its speed with time. if you have aggressive turning and are very sloppy, A5 is very forgiving. You will lose some of the corner cutting ability, but tightening the cube is a way to restrict some of the speed. If you mod the corners by rounding them out with craft knife or some kind of sanding, the corner cutting improves slightly and lockup improves significantly. F2 is also a good cube, but is less forgiving and more speedy. It really depends on if you like buttery cubes or crispy cubes. I like both of them lmao

Toquinha1977

WCA
2008YIMV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Between the DaYan Guhong, Type A-V, and Type F-II, they're all good cubes with their ups and downs.

DaYan: the highest price out of the bunch, but you can save a few bucks if you buy a DIY. Super-fast and light weight, great for cutting corners and minimizing lockups. However, it can be so fast that you can over-turn your faces.

Type A-V: a good crisp cube, great for cutting corners. Can be pretty loud, although it might take a while to get your tensions right if you get a DIY.

Type F-II: pretty solid cube, light weight, and quiet. Also good for cutting corners, although you'll have to replace the stickers in less than a week. You may also have to glue the edge/corner caps on, since they're all external.

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Contrary to everyone, I don't think you should purchase an F-Cube. They feel very cheap, hollow, and in my opinion, don't feel good to cube with. My personal recommendation is the AV. They feel solid, and are just really good cubes you can't go wrong with in my opinion.

Then get an F-II type. It's personal preference. You may hate it, but Rowe Hessler seems to like it.

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Then get an F-II type. It's personal preference. You may hate it, but Rowe Hessler seems to like it.

So Rowe's preference is my person preference? What does Rowe have to do with the cube at all. The only way to form your own opinion is to well, go out and form your own opinion. blarg.

metgo

Ok, I think I'm going to buy 2 cubes. The Alpha V and a F-II. Does anyone know where I can can a black one of each? I looked at speedcubeshop.com and they are sold out of both. Ebay maybe?

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

So Rowe's preference is my person preference? What does Rowe have to do with the cube at all. The only way to form your own opinion is to well, go out and form your own opinion. blarg.

My point is that someone may hate a certain cube while another may like it. Hell, there might be someone out their with the Type B as their main speedcube.

CitricAcid

WCA
2009TALK01
YouTube
Visit Channel

My point is that someone may hate a certain cube while another may like it. Hell, there might be someone out their with the Type B as their main speedcube.
I believe Caedus's main speedcube was a Type B once, if I remember correctly. :D