• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Can Blender be used for 3D printing puzzles?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have used SolidWorks a tiny bit before as an industry standard tool but I would like to work with free software that also runs on many platforms including Linux. Does anyone have experience with Blender enough to say whether it can be used easily for the complexity of 3D printing, compared to SolidWorks? I know Tony Fischer uses SketchUp but I last used it like a decade ago and I'm not interested really in going back.

Depends, also long as the software supports exporting obj files then I think yes, you should be able to import different files into whatever software your printer uses.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Depends, also long as the software supports exporting obj files then I think yes, you should be able to import different files into whatever software your printer uses.
Maybe I should clarify I'm not asking if it's possible, I'm asking if it's a realistic workflow.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
After looking online I've found dedicated CAD tools like Fusion 360 or Solidworks to be much better than Blender for measurement-based builds.
I also want to know if anyone here has experience in 3d printing without an engineering background. I've always been interested in mechanical things like building lego robots and the like but I don't have any formal engineering background.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Blender and crank up the subdivision high enough for polygons to be a non-issue. It's not optimal, but it's good enough for hobby projects.
The main issue with Blender is that it's not designed for very precise measurements afaict. Like in SolidWorks, every single operation is undoable and can be defined by precise angles and distances in mm. Also there's a neat feature to be able to automatically model screws by importing files from like McMaster Carr which idk if Blender has.

PyrbatNeoxi

WCA
2016HAMI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
onshape is pretty good, it's what this tutorial playlist is based on so it's pretty beginner friendly if nothing else

it's browser based so it should work cross platform OS wise, as long as you use chromium or similar
only downside is that it is free to use if you use the open source version, but finding out how to sign up for that version wasn't easy the last time i used it

At the lake fishing for bluegill and trout.
WCA
2024MARD02
Each 3d modeling software has its strengths and weaknesses, and Blender is great for working with meshes. I won't say exactly what meshes are here, but they are what 3d modelers use to model most organics. things like animal bodies, human bodies, plants, etc, are things that meshes are used for. My favorite software for building puzzles is fusion 360 and I know that solidworks is great. both of these are great for working with solids which are more rigid objects. Think structures like staircases, gears, blocks, levers, etc. mechanisms are what fusion 360 and solidworks are great for.

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know what meshes are, since I took a computer graphics course and implemented raycasting and raytracing. I know Blender is for 3d modeling, but I am asking if it's viable for 3d printing.

WCA
2024MARD02
I know what meshes are, since I took a computer graphics course and implemented raycasting and raytracing. I know Blender is for 3d modeling, but I am asking if it's viable for 3d printing.
Apologies, I thought you were just inquiring the about the designing part. but yes, it is absolutely viable for 3d printing. if you can make it, you can print. (given that your printer is able to). just make sure you export the file properly and make sure you slice it right. most of the 3d printed figurines out there were designed in blender.

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you don't mind me asking, why are you asking? okay that sounded weird, but do you plan on designing and 3d printing some puzzles?
I've considered it for a while, but a lot of puzzle modders on YouTube like Tony Fisher and Nathan Wilson start with a base puzzle and modify without 3d printing much.

The only "mods" Ive done are extremely basic ones

WCA
2024MARD02
I've considered it for a while, but a lot of puzzle modders on YouTube like Tony Fisher and Nathan Wilson start with a base puzzle and modify without 3d printing much.

The only "mods" Ive done are extremely basic ones

yeah, I've seen your vids. good stuff. sort of a channel that I would do if I had the time. Yeah, a lot of the hardcore modders are like cutting there 10x10's in half and fusing them to Peta minxes or whatever. not a lot of 3d printing there lol. an easy mod to do is print shape mods for budget cubes. I've been thinking of a Mandalorian helmet 2x2.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
The thing is everything I've searched for online says Blender is possible to use, but mechanical precision devices should use a tool designed for the task. Out of principle, I want to use a free software tool like OpenSCAD or FreeCAD, but I don't know how actually "usable" they are. But I know this would take a lot of learning curve time that I could spend on things I'm already familiar with like producing youtube videos or programming projects.

WCA
2024MARD02
OpenSCAD and FreeCAD are, for lack of better words, a bit watered down. Fusion 360 is free (with a few less perks) but more than useable for a hobbiest. plus, there are plenty of community made fusiontools that are useful for puzzle making. for example, there is a tool that lets you convert any object into a 3x3 puzzle! there are also really cool fusion courses on yt that are free and very helpful. I'm a self taught CAD user and I know what it was like looking for the right software that was user friendly and ultimately, it came down to which one was the cheapest and had the most online resources.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Free as in freedom, not price. My whole life has been moving from proprietary nonsense to open source applications and now almost all I do in my free time (Microsoft has an iron grip on my work environment) is with open source stuff. It's getting there.