• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cage method for a 5x5???

• Thread starter Deleted member 2864
  • Start date

wongxiao

Fixed it! Yeah... I found a good reduction method tutorial. :) If you use the reduction with a 5x5, will you be able to use it on the 4x4, 6x6, and 7x7?

idk about the 6 and 7, but I was able to figure out the 5x5x5 based on what I knew of the 4x4x4, except for solving the final two edges.

So if you know 4x4x4 reduction, you'll definitely be able to do 5x5x5. 5x5x5 is also simpler due to the fact that since it's an odd numbered cube, you get less parity issues, and you don't have to worry about getting your centers correct. I personally find the 5x5x5 much easier than the 4x4x4.

As far as why someone would bother learning cage, I don't think it's even an issue. I mean, you're sitting there with a cube in your hand so that you can make all the sides the same color, and you're worried about the *point* of learning to do it a certain way?? The *reason* someone would bother? Cubes are pointless to begin with, they're just good old time-killing fun. No point necessary.

mrCage

Hi :)

The point in learning cage is first of all for the fun of it. Sure, if you only do a very basic version your times wont shine at all. Even if you optiise cage you will be slower than the fastest reduction (ce3) guys. This is due to the inherent rather high turn count. Do cage if you like a fun method where you actually have lots of room for simple improvements/timesavers by little clever tricks. Also learning cage you will gain a greater undeerstanding on how to solve ANT size regular cube. Ce3'ing with 5x5x5 leaves some gaps as how to scale up the method to even large cubes (6by, 7by etc).

The downsides of cage are

1 - high turn count, impossible to compete with the top reductionist guys
2 - near impossible to use for supercubing, unless you willing to just go for normal solve + "superfix" at the end

- Some like potato, and some prefer rice.
- Some like the mother, some the daughter.
- Some (most) like reductionism and some (few) like cage (or other [semi]direct solving methods.

Per

deco122392

.... my cage dependes on how i feel that day. but for the most part i comutate everything except for the parrity cases( unless i decide to make an effert to make a 3-cycle out of a parrity case) but ya over all have fun with your cage methods.

Edit: woops!!!! sorry first layer is intuitive (no commutators needed)

Last edited:

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, I went ahead and learned SA967St's tutorial. Really similar to my 4x4 method... but my PLL edge permute algs don't always seem to work... I had to solve it the begginers way. Help?

All of them work but the Z-perm. I use M2 U M2 U M' U2 M2 U2 M' U2 for it. Two of them gets permuted but two stay in place.
All the PLLs should work...

Edit: Maybe its because of the M slices, try it using all 3 middle layers instead of just the 1

Last edited:
WCA
2009HONI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i don't use pure cage :)

but anyway, for the LL for say, 5x5 (or odd cubes in general), I would actually OLL/PLL the middle edges and corners, then the rest with commies. I used to use 2 look CLL and commutator all the edges :)