• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is not true with y moves in CFOP. U can obviously use lower case Moves to solve it or use lower case D('). And as I saw cross in left (Sergey)
U also don't have any cube rotations in f2l just Z' and that's it. I don't see the problem with y in f2l cuase it is not needed pleas edit that.
Whilst I also wouldn't say there were 'lots of' rotations, you do have to rotate in most solves, which you never have to do with ZZ/Roux. Not many people use d/d'. And I agree that cross on left should probably be added as a variant of CFOP.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is not true with y moves in CFOP. U can obviously use lower case Moves to solve it or use lower case D('). And as I saw cross in left (Sergey)
U also don't have any cube rotations in f2l just Z' and that's it. I don't see the problem with y in f2l cuase it is not needed pleas edit that.
Whilst I also wouldn't say there were 'lots of' rotations, you do have to rotate in most solves, which you never have to do with ZZ/Roux. Not many people use d/d'. And I agree that cross on left should probably be added as a variant of CFOP.

Changed to "- Tends to have several cube rotations (primarily y-rotations, the slowest rotation) per solve."
Also added a section on Cross on Left.

I suggest beginner trying ECDU method, that method require less thinking and very few algs to learn but very understandable and very fast with practicing.
ECDU is a whole new method so maybe you never hear about it, just try, link here

My method is whole intuitive except last step, do you consider about my ECDU-c?, it's is an advance to avoid parity or some kind like that, but in whole solve progression, I can confirmed that it doesn't or never need cube rotation, it's good?

Hmmm... I tried ECDU out with a couple of different solves and slight variations on it. It feels like a nasty mix between Square-1 and Roux. The corners step definitely needs some more developement before this becomes a viable method imo.

You make a valid point. I still think that Petrus is a good balance between FMC and speed, but its not the best for either one of them (especially for speed). It is a good build up to Heise though. I think you should suggest this to people who like intuition, but you said that for Roux. Imo, petrus uses just as much intuition as Roux and a lot more if you step it up to Heise.

Added.

Last edited:

kelseymckenna

WCA
2012MCKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Please write 'You' instead of 'U' if you are using the pronoun and not the turning notation :)

pstidsen

New at speedsolving - what method?

I have just got my DaYan 2 Guhong v2, but I'm still using the standard "Dan Brown" method. My record is 43 seconds with that method. My goal is to solve it in 30 seconds or faster. Which method is best to achieve my goal?

SixSidedCube

WCA
2012LOUD02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey mate :)

Theoretically, you can get sub-30 with absolutely any method, with enough practice :) The best thing for you to do would be to make the transition into using F2L, instead of doing the corners and middle layer edges seperately. Here is a link for what I think is the best tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM

After you get F2L down to a suitable time, you can move onto 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. :)

pstidsen

Hi SixSidedCube

In the tutorial is the cube holded so the cross is on the bottom side. I normally have the cross on the top side. Is it important to hold it like in the video?

Hey mate :)

Theoretically, you can get sub-30 with absolutely any method, with enough practice :) The best thing for you to do would be to make the transition into using F2L, instead of doing the corners and middle layer edges seperately. Here is a link for what I think is the best tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM

After you get F2L down to a suitable time, you can move onto 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. :)

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
Having the cross on the bottom does help with lookahead. You have more unsolved pieces in your field of vision than if you had your cross on top, so it's preferred to do it on the bottom, although try it out with cross on the left too, some people prefer that.

iFaiLLL

Most helpful post... Now i know what are the methods available..LOL....

I am very new to Cube Solving and will try all the methods..........

Be sure to choose the best method for you. For a beginner it is kinda hard to know if you like algorithmic methods (such as CFOP) or more intuive ones such as petrus ( and roux).

if you really want to go on speedcubing you really want to stick with one method.

What is your average btw?

sarathicse

Be sure to choose the best method for you. For a beginner it is kinda hard to know if you like algorithmic methods (such as CFOP) or more intuive ones such as petrus ( and roux).

if you really want to go on speedcubing you really want to stick with one method.

What is your average btw?

I am not sure of the calculation methods like sub(x) all the guys are mentioning here. I still need to learn that. BTW if any thread related to what this is and how to calculate this is available please let me know.

I am solving cubes only for the past 6 months and i am able to solve the entire cube within 2 minutes.

I am trying to improve my speed. I have recently ordered a GuHong cube.

As far as the method is concerned i am using CFOB(I believe):confused:, solving cross, first two layer, solving the last layer by orientation and by position

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not sure of the calculation methods like sub(x) all the guys are mentioning here. I still need to learn that. BTW if any thread related to what this is and how to calculate this is available please let me know.

I am solving cubes only for the past 6 months and i am able to solve the entire cube within 2 minutes.

I am trying to improve my speed. I have recently ordered a GuHong cube.

What times do you get? just take an average of 12.

As far as the method is concerned i am using CFOB(I believe):confused:, solving cross, first two layer, solving the last layer by orientation and by position

What times do you get? just take an average of 12.