• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Available State Records?

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do any of you know of a place where there's a listing of records by USA States? (i.e. Californian Records for all events taken place, Michigan, New York...)

I'm in Texas and I'm trying to find out the single best 3x3x3 time in competition and out of competition, as well as the record 3x3x3 averages here in and out of competitions.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Doesn't exist as far as I know, unless someone with way too much time and information on their hands has compiled it somewhere.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
No, information about states isn't even collected at most competitions...though I think if I looked at the list of the top USA cubers, I could determine the state of most.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh, and by Texas records I mean this:

The best time achieved by a USA citizen during a competition held within Texas state lines.
OutOfComp. - The best time achieved by a USA citizen who resides in Texas, while in Texas. Well, I wonder if it would count if I went out of state for a week and broke a record here, and then came back?

In WCA comps, you represent your home country, regardless of where you are.
So actually, as long as you live in Texas, it should count...

After checking records, the best time that fits the qualifications is 13.97

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the competition is held shouldn't matter at all, if you really want to know the Texas State Record. National records are just given to the fastest time by someone from that country, regardless of where or when the competition is, and it only makes sense to do state records the same way. You should just look for the fastest single by someone from Texas.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the competition is held shouldn't matter at all, if you really want to know the Texas State Record. National records are just given to the fastest time by someone from that country, regardless of where or when the competition is, and it only makes sense to do state records the same way. You should just look for the fastest single by someone from Texas.

Which can't be on the WCA site because that information isn't shown. :(

And so the research begins.

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought I remembered signing my name under Alabama in a Wiki somebody posted sometime ago. Everyone was supposed to sign their name under their respective state. Am I the only one that remembers this?

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought I remembered signing my name under Alabama in a Wiki somebody posted sometime ago. Everyone was supposed to sign their name under their respective state. Am I the only one that remembers this?

I saw that several weeks ago, I'll sign it soon.

If you know where it is, please post a link. I'd like to look at it again.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's here in the Wiki: http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Forum_cubers_by_location

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
This brings up an interesting point.

Perhaps we should start collecting more information about a competitor during the registration process. This would allow for more in-depth analysis of results by region, gender, etc. The WCA is still pretty small, but it is growing quite fast. I think it would be great to eventually have more information about each competitor which can be entered into the database and analyzed. I think now is a good time to start.

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's here in the Wiki: http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Forum_cubers_by_location

Thanks a lot! I guess I'm the Alabama state champ so far!

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This brings up an interesting point.

Perhaps we should start collecting more information about a competitor during the registration process. This would allow for more in-depth analysis of results by region, gender, etc. The WCA is still pretty small, but it is growing quite fast. I think it would be great to eventually have more information about each competitor which can be entered into the database and analyzed. I think now is a good time to start.

I agree. Although I wouldn't think of it as a big deal if I was the fastest in Alabama, it'd still be cool to have a breakdown of the cubing world by state.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Top 25 for USA:
1 Rowe Hessler 8.91 New York
2 Phil Thomas 9.44 Indiana
3 Mitchell Stern 10.06 Virginia
4 Dan Dzoan 10.08 California
5 Dan Cohen 10.11 Pennsylvania
6 Michael Gottlieb 10.30 New York
7 Jason Baum 10.43 Pennsylvania (VA)
8 Ravi Fernando 10.43 Missouri
9 Andy Tsao 10.47 California
10 Toby Mao 10.48 California
11 Leyan Lo 10.63 New Jersey (CA)
12 Chris Dzoan 10.64 California
13 Andrew Kang 10.68 Georgia
14 Timothy Sun 10.77 New Jersey (China)
15 Ryan Patricio 11.00 California
16 Brian Kim 11.08 California
17 David Gomes 11.11 California
18 Anthony Hsu 11.19 New Jersey
19 Alexander Yu 11.33 New Jersey
20 Joseph Gibney 11.34 ?? - Virginia - ??
21 Phillip Espinoza 11.44 California
22 John-Michael Clay 11.53 New York
23 Ging-Ging Lin 11.59 California
24 Erik Johnson 11.67 New York
25 Frank Morris 11.83 Idaho

Not sure where Joseph Gibney originates from exactly.

Last edited: