• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Are PLL attacks worth practising?

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average bout 15-16s but I really suck at PLL time attacks. I'm usually at around 52-53 for that..while people slower than me can get sub-50 or about 45s.

Does executing the PLLs really help improve your execution times? Or will I get faster by just normal practising? I kinda hate PLL attacks cos I get frustrated over lock ups and pops...

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average bout 15-16s but I really suck at PLL time attacks. I'm usually at around 52-53 for that..while people slower than me can get sub-50 or about 45s.

Does executing the PLLs really help improve your execution times? Or will I get faster by just normal practising? I kinda hate PLL attacks cos I get frustrated over lock ups and pops...

If you are locking up and popping and things... try slowing down :)
My time attacks used to be between 55-60, but I hated them, and never did them because i popped so much. I took (i think qqwrefs) good advice and tried to go as smooth as i could, not as fast, and my current PB is now 45.5 :)
I'm not so sure about the benefits of doing full time attacks - I suggest doing an individual PLL say, 150 times in a row or more if you want to get them faster. I've recently been practicing the corner PLLs, and it seems to have made a big difference in solves.

blah

brah
Oh well, the more well-known guys tend to get the credit don't they :p

JohnnyA

WCA
2009ADLA01
I don't really see the point of them. How often are you going to have to any number of PLLs in a row during a solvewithout any recognition time between?

Practising invidual PLLs is better. (Of course, you are talking to the guy with the 8 second F2L and 8-10 second LL :O )

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never do PLL time attacks but unfortunately I'm basically at the same cubing speed and same PLL time attack speed as you so I can't really give advice on the topic :p

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never do PLL time attacks but unfortunately I'm basically at the same cubing speed and same PLL time attack speed as you so I can't really give advice on the topic :p

That's kinda contradicting right..anyway I know you meant you don't practise PLL attacks..

But it's great to know there're more people like me...I thought my PLLs really sucked for my speed (well maybe I still do :p)

phil

PLL time attacks mainly help you with recognizing PLLs, right? I think that you'll probably get more mileage out of just practicing individual PLLs.

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
TBH I average like 1:40 (PB = 1:30.00 LOL) and I 3x3x3 average around 28 --> 30, but I don't do it as much anymore.

PLL attacks are really for execution + memory, since you have to recall each of the PLLs quickly and fluently and execute them as you continue to recall them until you finish.

I think it would honestly help look-ahead a little bit if you can see some sort of pattern for your PLL attack, but how would I know, I'm a noob that pauses for like 5 seconds between each G-perm because I forget how they start.

edwardtimliu

WCA
2008LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never practice for PLL time attacks and I get around 50 seconds, currently averaging 14.65 officially (with a +2 that brought the avg up a notch :p)
I think the best way to improve is to just do more 3x3 solves, IMO