ANOTHER Possible Indiana Open?

Would you be willing to attend another Indiana Open in May or September?

  • Yes

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Yes and either month works

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes only if held on September

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes only if held on May

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 7 31.8%

  • Total voters
    22
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrap the $3 per event idea. I'll probably make it $2 or $1, and I probably will end up giving discounts to those who are willing to judge, scramble, etc. But anyway, which sounds better, $15 + $1 per additional event or $10 + $2 per additional event?

$15 + $1 per additional event = $30 for all 18 events (assuming the first 3 are free).
$10 + $2 per additional event = $40 for all 18 events (again assuming the first 3 are free).

I guess if you need that much money to run it, I'm okay with $10 + $2 per additional event - I like the idea of encouraging more people to enter, and a $15 base entry fee might keep people away. I'm okay with $40.

(I would really come at your original suggested price, but I might have considered not doing the silly little events that I don't care much about, like 3x3x3 speedsolve. :))
 
renting the space (if that is needed), TIMERS AND DISPLAYS (Biggest need here), blindfolds, equipment, potentially paying for a delegate to come (if that is needed), and Awards (obviously :P)
 
Last edited:
Ok, there is a site up.

http://www.cubingusa.com/indiana/

It's really bad, and it's in a preliminary stage. Some might recognize this as a clone of the old site. Bryan just moved the old Indiana site files over, so the site still has some leftover content from the old site. IGNORE THE OLD STUFF (like the old food poll).

Edit: Everyone, keep this in mind. The venue has not been confirmed completely (about 90% of the way through). There still is a tiny chance of some crazy incident happening that might force me to change the whole thing big time (even as far as canceling... although that probably won't happen).

Keep in mind that the whole site is a rough draft, so the whole thing will get changed little by little. Criticize, comment, make fun of it, or scream on the site at the shoutbox (or here) so I can make the site better (ESPECIALLY SCHEDULE and the ugly framework I turned Jim's wonderful skeleton into).

Food poll, venue, hotels, location, etc etc etc will be updated as soon as possible.

Much thanks to Brian for hosting the site (and Jim for the skeleton)!


If you want the live results stuff, try to convince Bryan to put it up there. I suck at html and I've asked him for too much help already.
 
Last edited:
Much thanks to Brian for hosting the site (and Jim for the skeleton)!

If you want the live results stuff, try to convince Bryan to put it up there. I suck at html and I've asked him for too much help already.

Registration has been disabled. When it gets re-enabled, you'll be able to update your events if you have a CubingUSA.com account.
 
More FYI...

1. Venue offered 2 possible weekends: September 12-13 or September 19-20. Venue website is here
Please reply as to which weekend works best for you. Of course, the final decision of the date will be made depending on when a delegate is available. *cough*

2. All pre-registered competitors and spectators coming with pre-registered competitors will be charged the museum entrance fee of $4.50 per person. This is the group fee -- this only applies to pre-registered competitors.

3. Due to some requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to hold this event, I'll need at least 15 people pre-registered three to four months prior to the event. I'll hold the event as long as there is a delegate present and there are enough people to make the event official. However, for those of you who buy air tickets, please wait until the date has been finalized.

4. The hours have been confirmed: 9:30-5 on Saturday, 1-5 on Sunday. This unfortunately is the museum hours, and will likely not change. I'm still trying to convince the museum to add couple more hours on Saturday and Sunday, but this is likely not going to happen.

5. The proposed registration fee as of right now --
Pre-registered: $10 registration fee covering any combo of 3 events and museum entrance fee + $2 per additional event capped at $35-$30 depending on the number of people.
Non-registered: $10 registration fee covering any combo of 2 events + $2 per additional event without any cap. In this case the registration fee does NOT cover the museum entrance fee, and the museum entrance fee will no longer be the discounted price of $4.50.

As you all can see, pre-registering will cut down the cost dramatically -- #3 is the reasoning behind this.
The website will be re-updated with correct dates, etc when the final decision is made. As soon as the delegate is available, I'll let you all know.
@Bryan, please re-open the pre-registration.
 
Last edited:
3. Due to some requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to hold this event, this competition will be held only if there are at least 25 people pre-registered three weeks prior to the event.

Have you run this by the WCA? If anybody plans on traveling for this competition, especially by air, this can be a problem. Tickets tend to be non-refundable unless you pay out the ass for them.
 
3. Due to some requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to hold this event, this competition will be held only if there are at least 25 people pre-registered three weeks prior to the event.

Have you run this by the WCA? If anybody plans on traveling for this competition, especially by air, this can be a problem. Tickets tend to be non-refundable unless you pay out the ass for them.

Ouch, I forgot about the air tickets. Thanks Bob.
I'll change that... Sound any better?
 
Last edited:
3. Due to some requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to hold this event, this competition will be held only if there are at least 25 people pre-registered three weeks prior to the event.

Have you run this by the WCA? If anybody plans on traveling for this competition, especially by air, this can be a problem. Tickets tend to be non-refundable unless you pay out the ass for them.

Ouch, I forgot about the air tickets. Thanks Bob.
I'll change that... Sound any better?

Now you've just made all the people that travel by air by a last minute ticket. If you're going to hold a competition, hold it. If there's an issue with money, perhaps you need to find another venue that you can afford.
 
3. Due to some requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to hold this event, this competition will be held only if there are at least 25 people pre-registered three weeks prior to the event.

Have you run this by the WCA? If anybody plans on traveling for this competition, especially by air, this can be a problem. Tickets tend to be non-refundable unless you pay out the ass for them.

Ouch, I forgot about the air tickets. Thanks Bob.
I'll change that... Sound any better?

Now you've just made all the people that travel by air by a last minute ticket. If you're going to hold a competition, hold it. If there's an issue with money, perhaps you need to find another venue that you can afford.

I know... There's not an issue with money. The museum just requires me to have a certain number of people 3 weeks prior to event. I said that the first time, but I changed it because of what Bob said to three months. Meh, how about this... I'll hold it no matter what as long as there are enough people to make this official.
 
The museum just requires me to have a certain number of people 3 weeks prior to event.

OK, I thought it was a "You need to have a certain number of people to have enough registration fees to cover the cost of the museum". Not, "The museum wants a certain number of people....period."

I should start a "Stupid venues requests thread." I've been dealing with a lot.
 
The museum just requires me to have a certain number of people 3 weeks prior to event.

OK, I thought it was a "You need to have a certain number of people to have enough registration fees to cover the cost of the museum". Not, "The museum wants a certain number of people....period."

I should start a "Stupid venues requests thread." I've been dealing with a lot.

I wouldn't consider that too unresonable, given the museum is providing some workers and the space. If only a few people were to attend the event, it is appropriate that the museum would not want to donate their workers time on this.

I also doubt most people coming will fly, since I don't think you even can fly to Bloomington...

Edit: Confirmed, you can't fly to BMG on any regular basis. It also looks like some booking agents will assume you meant to fly to Bloomington, Illinois (which is BMI... BMG is the one in Indiana), and give you tickets to there... so be careful about ordering tickets.
 
Last edited:
The museum just requires me to have a certain number of people 3 weeks prior to event.

OK, I thought it was a "You need to have a certain number of people to have enough registration fees to cover the cost of the museum". Not, "The museum wants a certain number of people....period."

I should start a "Stupid venues requests thread." I've been dealing with a lot.

I wouldn't consider that too unresonable, given the museum is providing some workers and the space. If only a few people were to attend the event, it is appropriate that the museum would not want to donate their workers time on this.

I also doubt most people coming will fly, since I don't think you even can fly to Bloomington...

Edit: Confirmed, you can't fly to BMG on any regular basis. It also looks like some booking agents will assume you meant to fly to Bloomington, Illinois (BMI, not BMG which is the right one), and give you tickets to there... so be careful about ordering tickets.

Yeah, you can't fly to Bloomington like you can to Indy. People who would be flying in would have to come to Indy and then come to Bloomington via shuttle that runs from Downtown Bloomington to Indy airport.

BTW, they are not donating workers... I've tried to persuade them (I still am) to donate some volunteers (museum has hundreds of volunteers -- I am one of them).

@Bryan, that is a stupid venue requirement. But... they do want to have some reasonable guarantee that their space is going to be used appropriately. The museum could rent out the space to birthday parties and stuff, which bring in 100s of dollars per party to the museum. Considering that they are charging me only $4.50 per competitor... I think I'll take that requirement. :D

Museum wants to have a co-organizer besides me too...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top