• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

6.96 3x3 Average of 12, using some PSF2L

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Pseudoslotting has been getting talked about more and more as of late, and is basically the hot new technique in town

This average isn't anything special (pretty good by my standards, but I've also done better in the past), but the fact that I used PSF2L on so many solves in this average compelled me to post this here since this isn't something we get to see a whole lot of at the top-ish level (Tymon pls film more unofficial solves)

Unfortunately I didn't save the scrambles, which is a shame because now that I realize how different my solves are looking already, having reconstructions would have made for a nice addition to cubesolv.es for others to study (or even improve upon!)

That's all for now. Let me know if you all want me to do a writeup on PSF2L and where I specifically think it's good and useful :)

Llewelys

Hey Jay, this method clearly has some potential: it's fairly new so unless top cubers have been practicing in secret this technique, it seems reasonably easy to get used to:
- Tymon is the one who invented (?) / popularized it and he's incredibly fast with it
- You're getting as good as usual solves with it already
- Sebastian Weyer used PSF2L for his 17.42 4x4 WR

The advantages of this method are clear, and I'm sure we'll be discovering more as this method gets explored.
The main downside is recognition, and comes with a question: isn't it as bad as people (pseudo-) block building with CFOP, like people going out of their way to build Xcrosses ?

kadabrium

WCA
2019XIAO15
to me the only hard part has so far been to recognize the required position of the D layer (and properly fingertrick it over to there), in particular when inserting into back slots. pairing pieces up and recognizing the relevant edge slot feels manageable enough. again im not a fast solver by any means in general.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is the second thread on pseudo slotting I've seen, my question is why the hell is it??!
I think it means that while you go about your normal business solving a cube, you find opportunities to build other blocks while doing what you’re doing. So I could do a pair, halfway I’d realise I can form another pair, and do that for later use.

Iwannaganx

I think it means that while you go about your normal business solving a cube, you find opportunities to build other blocks while doing what you’re doing. So I could do a pair, halfway I’d realise I can form another pair, and do that for later use.
Right. So kinda like advanced lookahead techniques?

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Right. So kinda like advanced lookahead techniques?
Lookahead is used, yes. What I'm saying is, e.g. while doing Petrus, I am doomg a normal 2x2x3 extension, then I notice an easy 2x2x1 block for later use. I quickly make it, put it out of the way, then carry on. Later on, I vring the block back out for use, maybe as part of the F2L, anything.