• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5BLD's And PandaCuber's Roux Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athefre

Should i learn 2.5looklse? Is there an advantage to it? (inspeedsolves)
Which one? You can discover some useful things from other methods, but, unless you see an overlooked advantage, it's more important to focus on improving your knowledge of your current method.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learnt all of it a while ago. I do not recommend you actually use it in solves all the time however it will teach you some tricks if you don't know them already...

TanookiTrev

I started learning Roux on August 13th and I did an average (3of5) this morning- (39.43), 41.52, 41.89, (45.88), 41.86 = 41.116
I think my maths is right (I hope). After about 45 minutes with roux I did an average and got 1.16.xx so I've improved quite a bit with only about a total of 2 hours practice. I understand I'm still really slow but I'm pleased with my progress (especially considering I haven't put a whole lot of time into it yet). My next goal is sub-30 within a month(?), and after that I hope to get to my CFOP times.
I was just wondering If I were to make a video with some of my solves would people help me out even if I didn't talk in it? Anyway, I officially love roux and I'm really excited because I have heaps to improve on :D

AbstractAlg

WCA
2012OKAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Holy mother of god! o_O

12.93, (12.68), (18.49), 13.16, 12.88 = 12.99 ao5

That was sick. All five solve had nicer FB than usual solves, but this was insane. My LSE improved a lot for some reason, now can sub3. :D
So surprised by this, but happy. :D

Mnts

WCA
2011SIDA01
Hello all roux fans, recently I started learning this method because it looked very attractive to me and now I found its really fun too. I'm really thinking to switch it to my main but not sure yet. I'd be glad if you could give me some tips to improve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed that you seemed a bit rigid on your second block. Now, don't quote me, because I stink at SB, but it looked like you were searching for the one red-blue edge first, rather than doing a different one, or taking a different approach to that square. Your LSE looked pretty good, but the EO was a bit slow. That will probably come with practice though. My EO, for example, is pretty fast, and I can usually do it without any thinking, but the rest of my LSE is slow and miserable. Not really inefficient, but just slow.
One more thing, there was a big pause between your first and second block. I think that was partly because you solved FB on F, instead of L, so you couldn't really look around the cube - it was all blocked. Try building the first block on the left side, so that you can see the rest of the pieces and look-ahead into the second block better.

Mnts

WCA
2011SIDA01
Thanks for tips, I'm having quite hard transition from Cross, so I just keep looking for peaces during first block, for second one I found some nice ways to build it but I need to practice it more and start look ahead a bit. I already learned sunes and antisunes CMLLs maybe its too early but earlier I learn less trouble in future. LSE is tricky but yeah with time I'll get used to it. :)

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay so FB on F is fine, if you can plan in inspection is good. However always think of different angles. You may be able to do it on L without problems. If youre gonna do it on F make sure you look ahead on the B and S slices.

Also, don't hurry! That SB, just turn slowly and try to plan the beginning while solving the last bit of the FB. Do not pause, turn really fast, pause, turn really fast, pause, turn really fast etc.

Cmll is ok

Lse, turn slower so you don't pause between steps. And look for easy cases. Like in the vid rather than M'U2M' you could do MU2MU2M2 and not have E2ME2M. Maybe its a bit early for stuff like that.

Your main problem is you turn too fast. You need to be able to solve with very few pauses

95Rifles

Can someone help me with my 2nd block? I recorded and then reconstructed this solve, it was 21.89s.

Yesterday I decided since my CFOP isn't really getting anywhere, stuck around 15/16s that I would change to Roux for good.

Solve

Because I don't know CMLL I'm two looking the corners... I can upload video but I was trying to turn slow...

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
D' R2 B' U' R U' D R D2 L2 D R2 F2 D2 R2 D' B2 R2 D

z2 //inspection
D' d' M U M' U2 L U' L' M U M' L' U L //FB
F R' F' R U R' R' U R U2 M r U r' U' M U2 M' U2 R' U R //SB
M' U' x U' L U R' U' L' U R x' //corners
U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R'
U M' U M' //EO
M' U2 M U M U2 M' U2 M2 //sideedge
U U2 M U2 M' U2 M' U2 M

Okay lets start with First Block. There are various things you could've done to rid of some moves.
I noticed you connected the WG(whitegreen) edge to the center; thats too CFOPy. What you need is a Corner-Edge pair => Going to insert GOW corner to WG edge <R' U2 R>.
Now we could do a <D'> But the GO edge isnt in the right 'slot'. So we do a <F2 D'>. Do you see how the square was made?
To finish the First Block , <y> to but square on left. ,<R' U' R2 U> There the pair was made. <B2> Insertion.
15 moves was reduced to 10. Doesnt sound like much, but in a solve, it really is.

So lets go back to your original Second Block.
Here you also put the BW edge to its center, making it your 'cross' then you create 2 pairs. Since youre a previous CFOP user, youre forgiven xD

This is how I would do it.
I would connect the RBW corner with its edge(RB) and place that BW edge in its place at the same time.
<M' U' R'> So the pair is made and the BW edge is only a U2 away from being in its place, so lets do that. <U2 F> We broke first block to insert pair, so lets fix it and insert. <R F' R>
The BO edge is in its correct 'slot', so we gotta place the corner without taking out the edge. Heres a little trick. Place corner above edge<U> , place corner and abuse M slice to insert edge <R U M U M' U' r'>

22 Moves reduced to 16. Thats actually a HUGE difference.

My advice is that you take your time and play with your blocks. Try to rid of that CFOP habit. I know its hard, i had to do the same.

95Rifles

Jeez, wow thanks for that, although I can't get the 2nd block advice to work.

I've been trying to avoid making my first block like an XCross and do it a bit differently. I have been trying to work with blocks without timing to make the most efficient choices. This time I'm really serious about choosing Roux and I want to make the best go of it. Seeing how you did that 1st block is was so obvious to me but currently I need these things pointed out...

When should I learn CMLL?

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
although I can't get the 2nd block advice to work.

Go back to your original solve. Do:

z2 //inspection
D' d' M U M' U2 L U' L' M U M' L' U L //FB
Then do what I wrote.

I've been trying to avoid making my first block like an XCross and do it a bit differently. I have been trying to work with blocks without timing to make the most efficient choices. This time I'm really serious about choosing Roux and I want to make the best go of it. Seeing how you did that 1st block is was so obvious to me but currently I need these things pointed out...

Its all good. Everyone needs help.

When should I learn CMLL?

When you average around 25, i think you should start learning.

pijok

YouTube
Visit Channel

First block:
You're inserting the DL edge here, you can just use an edge which already is matching the center

M U M' U2 L U' L'
you are creating the corner edge pair at a very bad position (ULF, UF)
better would be: l U M' U

M U M' L' U L
rubbish... M U R' F

Second block:
same as FB

R U R2 U R U2 M r U r'
just R' U' R or with your pair:
R U R2 U R U2 R U R'

U' M U2 M' U2 R' U R
U' r' U2 M' U' R

You insert the D edge first, often you just can use an other edge with is matching the L/R center or you can do a corner-edge pair first.

A Leman

This scramble is perfect for me to ask about a growing habit of mine.

When I solved that I ended up making two squares before the first block and finishing the right side first. It was all a result of lucky case recognition. I intended to protect the left block while solving the right, but ended up doing the right side first. It is something that I have slowly started doing as I became more comfortable block building.

I guess my question is, do other more experienced Rouxers end up flipping steps like that often to protect lucky right block states?

Inspection x2z’
U2L2U’x (3) right square
U’R2U (6) left square
r RU’R’ (10)right block
U2 M U’ l’ U l (16) left block
R’FRUR’U’F’UR (25) KCMLL
M2U2M2 (28) LR edges
U’M’U2MU’ (33) finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
5BLD How-to's, Guides, etc. 127