• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 last layer: number of positions

OK, I get what it is, but what does AUF stand for?

Yes, this speedcubing terminology is kind of cryptic (like AUF),which is tolerable, but it is inconsistent too, which I do not like.
So OLL means "fix the orientations of the last layer" while PLL does not mean "fix the permutations of the last layer" but "fix the permutations of the last layer without changing the orientations of the last layer".
COLL does not mean "fix the corner orientations of the last layer" but "fix the corner orientations and the corner permutations without changing the edge orientations of the last layer".
Almost all of these abbreviations are misleading and not self explaining. Is there any chance for renaming these algorithm classes in a consistent way?

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Almost all of these abbreviations are misleading and not self explaining. Is there any chance for renaming these algorithm classes in a consistent way?

While I acknowledge it's virtually impossible for this to actually be adopted, it's an interesting exercise to try to come up with such a naming system. One that potentially preserves some names we already use would be nice as well.

Something like this:
AB where A represents what is being solved and B represents what is already solved and being preserved.

Examples:
OLL stays OLL (or technically OLLF2L, but the F2L seems kinda obvious)
PLL becomes PLLO (actually this could be reduced to LLO - solve the last layer with orientation already solved)
COLL becomes CLLOE (solve corners of the last layer and preserve orientation of edges)
CLL/ELL becomes CLL/ELLC (or LLC)
CMLL becomes CLLRoux (Roux meaning Roux blocks)

[one kind of] 4-look last layer:
OELL, OLLOE, PCLLO, PELLCOE (permutation of edges of the last layer, preserving corners and orientation of edges-can be reduced to LLCOE)

Petrus' 3-look last layer:
PCLLOE, CLLPCOE (corners of the last layer, preserving permutation of corners and orientation of edges), PELLCOE/LLCOE

ZBLL=LLOE

ZBF2L=LSOELL (last slot and OELL)
VHF2L=LSOELLpair (last slot and OELL, with the pair already created)

MGLS:
ELS=ELSOELL
CLS=LSOLLELSOE

So...yeah, there's a way of doing this, but it's not that nice and probably will never catch on.

Fona

Premium Member
WCA
2009HERZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
back to topic:
62 208 Positions would mean, that an LL Skip has 4 possible Positions, wich means I can get an LL Skip with a chance of 4/62208= 0,0000643%

I'm not into Maths, but I think it is right.