• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] 3x3 30.77 Second Solve

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is my road to sub 20.
I do cross, F2L, 2 look OLL, 2 look PLL in 30 seconds. I think thats good time. If you guys could please tell me what i could do better next time or if im even in the right track.

PS: I just uploaded it, so I dont know if it finished with the video settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
omg I can't believe I waited through a minute of intro that you were supposedly "fast forwarding" to see blurry video from a less than ideal angle.

It was hard to see much cross and f2l action, try a camera angle above your shoulder or off to the side so you can get a front right view of the cube, like what you're actually watching.

Practice recognizing PLLs, then learn more PLLs. Easily learn T, Y and J perm

Ltsurge

omg I can't believe I waited through a minute of intro that you were supposedly "fast forwarding" to see blurry video from a less than ideal angle.

It was hard to see much cross and f2l action, try a camera angle above your shoulder or off to the side so you can get a front right view of the cube, like what you're actually watching.

Practice recognizing PLLs, then learn more PLLs. Easily learn T, Y and J perm

Just interested... How would you put the camera over your shoulder (i don't have a webcam... its a normal still cam on HD vid)

WCA
2011HAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't know what you guys are talking about... Loaded perfectly fine and fast for me, and the video quality isn't that bad. Meh.

As for the video itself: Keep practising... Especially your last layer, and even more so your PLL (which seems to take around 10 seconds alone).

PS: If you want people to just fast forward ahead of certain points, why not just cut it?

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Thanks for the video, I realllyyyyyy appreciate it!
Let me answer some questions you seemed to ask.
1)Why I posted the video. The reason I posted was for people like you to show me some tips on how to improve, because for me it really helps.
2)What are my faults. Well I would say my F2L is really bad and I slow down a lot during oll and pll.
2b)Turning speed. In practice i go nice and slow, but when I start timing, i think that going fast will make up for my faults. But you make more sense than I do.
3)My goals. You know me wayyyy to well.. My goal is sub20 by christmas.

Just some other things I wanna add.
Ive started to practice using a metronome. Using a bpm usually around 70 or 80.
Ive been cubing for about 2 months already and that 30.77 just happened to be my record..(Good thing I was recording lol)

Thanks soooooo much for the video!

Ltsurge

Hey Thanks for the video, I realllyyyyyy appreciate it!
Let me answer some questions you seemed to ask.
1)Why I posted the video. The reason I posted was for people like you to show me some tips on how to improve, because for me it really helps.
2)What are my faults. Well I would say my F2L is really bad and I slow down a lot during oll and pll.
2b)Turning speed. In practice i go nice and slow, but when I start timing, i think that going fast will make up for my faults. But you make more sense than I do.
3)My goals. You know me wayyyy to well.. My goal is sub20 by christmas.

Just some other things I wanna add.
Ive started to practice using a metronome. Using a bpm usually around 70 or 80.
Ive been cubing for about 2 months already and that 30.77 just happened to be my record..(Good thing I was recording lol)

Thanks soooooo much for the video!

My aim too!

Ltsurge

Wow! I havent even gotten past 30 sec yett...But one day!

I've been cubing as long as you but I practice way too much.. grades dropping ... :(

I think for you sub 20 avg might be a bit too far but if you are looking for a single solve sub 20... you definitely could

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think for you sub 20 avg might be a bit too far but if you are looking for a single solve sub 20... you definitely could

Yeah I know. hey how do you practice? Besides metronome.
I cant find a way to practice oll and pll.

Nostra

WCA
2007WATI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been watching your video. I looks as if your cross was already done, wasn't it? Or just one move (like D2) because I can't see any white edges during your inspection...

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been watching your video. I looks as if your cross was already done, wasn't it? Or just one move (like D2) because I can't see any white edges during your inspection...

Lol yeah when i was scrambling I ended up with 2 whites on the bottom so 3 moves put the other 2 in, so it was pretty easy.

YouTube
Visit Channel
That inspection time was approximately 30 seconds long.

That's a VERY GOOD THING.

You need to practice using your inspection time + cross, then inspection time + cross + F2L, when you're good enough. But for now, you should really focus on fully planning out the cross and then executing it. Don't worry about how long it takes to do plan it until you're ready to speed that up.

But that's not my main advice. Rather, I wanted to make a comment on the mental aspects of practice.

Depending on the situation in which brain functions best, you can take all of the advice from the forum and try to improve in several areas at once (if you're just that awesome), or, if you progress very slowly (like me), then you'll want to only take on one thing at a time, master that one thing, then go on to the next. It's hard for me to focus on 15 different important things at the same time AND do well.

Then again, everybody probably does it the latter way (i.e. one thing at a time); they just do it WAAAYYY faster than me. I'm very slow. (As in brain. Very slow-brained.) I also don't organize well, so I tend to take too many things on at once without intending to do so. That's probably why it's taken me 5 years as opposed to 3 or less years to get to where I am now.

(5 years, and I'm only averaging 12-13 seconds? weeeak.)

In short, just make sure you know how your brain functions. Organization and planned practice, I think, is key to speedy improvement.

(i.e. Open on Microsoft Word Document, or maybe an iCal document, make a schedule, follow it. "This week, I'll try to master/improve blah-blah, and next week, I'll try to master/improve blah-blah-blah. I'll spend a day or two on blah because I don't think it'll take too long to improve in that area. I should spend some time on finger tricks every day. This weekend, I'll learn about 5-10 OLL/PLL algorithms and get used to applying them. Next month, I'll work on big cubes more often. The next month, I'll practice 3x3 again. For the first half of the month, I'll practice incorporating edge control into my solves. In the 2nd half of the month, I'll try to learn a new method, like Roux, or Petrus, or that dreadfully-confusing Ryan Heise Method. Maybe I should try learning COLL too, or F2LL + Winter Variation next month. I should figure out a plan on how I can keep using them so I don't forget all those algorithms... OH SHOOT! I forgot about 2x2!! I should probably start with ortega and guimond before I learn CLL + Anti-CLL. I don't wanna kill myself with too many algorithms. Gosh, so much to do. I better stay organized, or I'll never learn all this crap... You know, I didn't reserve a time for practicing 3x3x3 blindfold. I don't even know which method to use! Looks like it's time to do some research!")

Some weird stream-of-consciousness of the sort above this sentence should be going on in your head when making a schedule.

Last edited:

Pandadudex96

WCA
2010WONG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think this is necessary right now but practice on inspection like other people said because I noticed it was 26 seconds. lmao other then that, just practice and you'll consistently get better :D