• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2x2 BLD

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
EDIT: Oh I also practised like the first 5 solves with my eyes opened to really see what was going on. I used the old pochmann method, but not BLD. After that I made a very slow memo, wrote it down and looked at the memo when solving for like 5 solves. The I started to do actualy BLD solves by first doing like half of the memo and stop, the other half and scramble + repeat. At like 20 solves done I started to do legit BLDs.

This :)

Written memo helps you to focus on just the solving part and you can get much more practice done in a shorter time frame.
I still use this in practicing 4 5 6 BLD.

Patrick M

WCA
2009MILL05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I remember when i was trying to skip straight to 3Bld...well actually thats probably the normal thing to do. anyway i partially learned how to do edges (I actually didnt understand not to mess up UF, or the two corners next to it), and got like one or two full edge solves on a 3x3. Then i tried to learn corners and messed up and got confused, upset, nausea upset stomach vomiting blah blah.

A few months later i learned how to swap two corners - i think its old pochman. Reading a tutorial was easier than watching a video for me because no rewinding, etc. to me, that is. anyway, the way i memo corners is I have assigned names to each location, and memorize them in a wacky sentence (and still coming up with better names. If you understand the method, maybe some of my silly nneumonic devices could help.

Also sorry for butchering the spelling of nmeumonic. I have no idea how to spell that.

makssl6911

Don't...

My counter example, using the same scramble.
For clarity I will solve in WCA scrambling orientation F=G U=W

z - "solves" WBR
D2 -Y - D2 solves YBO
F' D - Y - D' F solves WGO
R' D' - Y - D R solves YGR
D2 R - Y - R' D2 solves YOG
oh noes.. buffer is solved
F - Y - F' shoots buffer to UFR (with set-up moves this is the only "normal Y-perm")
R2 F - Y - F' R2 solves YRB
R' - Y -R solves WRG and the cube :)
Ehm, wat? :D Sorry, i'm not familiar with stuff like WBR. Does that "translate" to White-back-right? :D

makssl6911

Ok. Finally got the method down. Now i can solve 1 piece at a time without looking, but since i have no memo method i can't really do more than that. Can anyone recommend one? Like letters or numbers, and where they are located on the cube. Like a=white back left corner, b=white back right corner, etc.

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
It doesn't matter. After a while you don't think "ok this is the blue piece of the red white blue". Instead you will think "A" or "F" or "14" or "banana" or whatever you want to call it.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Ok. Finally got the method down. Now i can solve 1 piece at a time without looking, but since i have no memo method i can't really do more than that. Can anyone recommend one? Like letters or numbers, and where they are located on the cube. Like a=white back left corner, b=white back right corner, etc.

Good for ya!

basically you can build a letter scheme in any way you want.
Spefz is a good one, there is a wiki page on it.
Basically Spefz is applying letters to each sticker on a face, going clockwise around the face.

My lettering scheme is quite different, I label my corner stickers clockwise around each corner-cubie.
Starting at the buffer sticker a clockwise around the cubie are b and c. Then clockwise around the U face I labelled the other corner cubies, first letter always being the U sticker.
Same on D, the D sticker always being the first of the three letters on the selectyed corner cubie.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I dont get why people bother mentioning this at all, you can just set up the piece to URF and do a y perm, no overcomplicating things

when you understand it more, then you can do cancellations and stuf

Most OP tutorials use the Y-perm without the F F'. So if the OP is watching an OP tutorial and compares this to the OP example solve by Schmidt he has a big chance that the example solve does not work.