• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2x2 BLD

makssl6911

Hey guys,
I wan't to get into BLD, but want to start with 2x2, since it is easier.
But i still can't figure it out. Can anyone help me? I've tried watching Lance's video, but he isn't the best teacher..(*Cough* Badmephisto *Cough*)
Should i use pochmann? I want the EASIEST method, not the fastest, btw.
Am i just really stupid? o_O
PS: I'm good at memo, so if i need to memorize something like "2-5-1-7-8-4-5" that's all good!
Thanks. :cool:

makssl6911

You give up easily. If you have no patience you will not accomplish blind!

I would recommend to go to a competition/meetup sometime and ask someone in person. Or take a break and study the links again later

Hm, i'm just tired of after having tried for about an hour everyday for like a week now. If id seen literally ANY progress.. But i haven't. And i feel like a retard, since everyone says its so easy :3

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hm, i'm just tired of after having tried for about an hour everyday for like a week now. If id seen literally ANY progress.. But i haven't. And i feel like a retard, since everyone says its so easy :3
It's not easy. Only 2790 out of 22190 have even attempted to do it in a competition and only 1790 have succeeded. Now stop feeling like a retard.

Last edited:

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hm, i've studied Lancetheblueknights tutorial, and i can't get the permutation part for some reason. Help?

if theres a permutation part then ill assume thats 3op
use op instead, its easier to understand probably
also badmephistos tutorial is good
try 3x3 corners instead of 2x2, fixed centres might help you see where pieces go

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
If you just want to be able to solve a 2x2x2 blindfolded, I can tell you what I do:

Pick a Up and Front face and stick with it. I have Yellow as U and Red as F. If there are no correct block(s) (oriented and permuted correctly) I hold the cube so White-Blue-Orange is in the correct spot (DLB). If there are block(s) I put them where they need to be on a solved cube (unless one of the pieces is UFR which is my buffer).
Now the cube can be solved with 2 algs ( standard T and Y perm) and setup moves.

Ex. solve:

U F' U R U2 F' U2 F' U' (scramble F=G U=W)

x' y' // WOB in place
L B' [Y] B L' // WRB solved, but buffer contains buffer piece :(
[T] // get something else in the buffer
D' L2 [Y] L2 D // WRG solved
L' B' [T] B L // YBR solved
[Y] // YBO solved
B2 [Y] B2 // WGO solved
B [Y] B' // cube solved

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I'll try this after school :) Thanks.

Don't...

If you just want to be able to solve a 2x2x2 blindfolded, I can tell you what I do:

Pick a Up and Front face and stick with it. I have Yellow as U and Red as F. If there are no correct block(s) (oriented and permuted correctly) I hold the cube so White-Blue-Orange is in the correct spot (DLB). If there are block(s) I put them where they need to be on a solved cube (unless one of the pieces is UFR which is my buffer).
Now the cube can be solved with 2 algs ( standard T and Y perm) and setup moves.

Ex. solve:

U F' U R U2 F' U2 F' U' (scramble F=G U=W)

x' y' // WOB in place
L B' [Y] B L' // WRB solved, but buffer contains buffer piece :(
[T] // get something else in the buffer
D' L2 [Y] L2 D // WRG solved
L' B' [T] B L // YBR solved
[Y] // YBO solved
B2 [Y] B2 // WGO solved
B [Y] B' // cube solved

The example does solve the cube but this is not how the majority uses Old Pochmann.
So when following the YT tutorials on OP and then using the above example you will get even more confused...

In Old Pochmann you perform the Y-perm without the F and F' at start and end.
This means your buffer is ULB and the target is RFD. (In Schmidt's example he performs the std Y-perm and his buffer / target is UFR/ULB)

When using OP as Pochmann invented it you do not perform the F F' moves so buffer is ULB and the target is RFD.
Note that your set up moves (to bring pieces to RFD) may not disturb your buffer: so you should not use L and B faces.

My counter example, using the same scramble.
For clarity I will solve in WCA scrambling orientation F=G U=W

z - "solves" WBR
D2 -Y - D2 solves YBO
F' D - Y - D' F solves WGO
R' D' - Y - D R solves YGR
D2 R - Y - R' D2 solves YOG
oh noes.. buffer is solved
F - Y - F' shoots buffer to UFR (with set-up moves this is the only "normal Y-perm")
R2 F - Y - F' R2 solves YRB
R' - Y -R solves WRG and the cube :)

Last edited:

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just learning 3BLD and I'm practising corners at the moment (2BLD). I'm using Noah's tutorial. I still screw up some times if I get a weird cycle break, but I'd say atleast 75% of my solves succeed.

Basically you just learn the letter scheme very well, use that scheme always and forever and then just memorize with the buffers. Also with practice you will easily learn the setup notations that are most comfortable for you and you'll notice you always do the same things. Just practise and soon you'll notice that you know the cube and the letter scheme very well and you dont even have to think about setup notations.

It's slow to get good at, but it shouldn't take any more than like 100 solves in my opinion. With good I mean basically non-existant percentage of DNF, like under 5% of solves.

EDIT: Oh I also practised like the first 5 solves with my eyes opened to really see what was going on. I used the old pochmann method, but not BLD. After that I made a very slow memo, wrote it down and looked at the memo when solving for like 5 solves. The I started to do actualy BLD solves by first doing like half of the memo and stop, the other half and scramble + repeat. At like 20 solves done I started to do legit BLDs.

Last edited: