• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

256x256 Rubik's cube solve - World record attempt

soup

YouTube
Visit Channel
I, along with qqwref and ben1996123, have started a collab solve of a 256x256 Rubik's cube. We're expecting a few more participants to help with the solving effort.

We expect the attempt to take anywhere between 100 and 110 hours' solve time, which could mean up to a month's worth of sessions in real time.

As for the method, we'll be using a variation of the cage method for this solve. Roughly outlined, the steps are:
1) Clearing the 1st/green center - Partially filling in columns of green pieces
2) Solving the remainder of the green center using the 4-move commutator r u' r' u
3) Clearing the 2nd/blue center - Partially filling in columns of blue pieces
4) Solving the remainder of the blue center using the 4-move commutator r2 u' r2 u
5) Solving the outer shell - edges and 3x3
6) Clearing the 3rd/orange center - Partially filling in columns of orange pieces
7) Solving the remainder of the orange center using the 4-move commutator r2 u' r2 u
8) Solving the 4th/yellow center
9) Solving the last two (red + white) centers

I've started the first bit of the solve. Progress so far, at just over 2 hours into the solve:
XLsA8DI.png

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
lol the idea of this tickles my fancy
just how are you going to collab solve? I don't have the patience for this kinda thing

LNBFilms

In Honours Agebra I (Sucks just like Chem) DND!
WCA
2019BATE05
I, along with qqwref and ben1996123, have started a collab solve of a 256x256 Rubik's cube. We're expecting a few more participants to help with the solving effort.

We expect the attempt to take anywhere between 100 and 110 hours' solve time, which could mean up to a month's worth of sessions in real time.

As for the method, we'll be using a variation of the cage method for this solve. Roughly outlined, the steps are:
1) Clearing the 1st/green center - Partially filling in columns of green pieces
2) Solving the remainder of the green center using the 4-move commutator r u' r' u
3) Clearing the 2nd/blue center - Partially filling in columns of blue pieces
4) Solving the remainder of the blue center using the 4-move commutator r2 u' r2 u
5) Solving the outer shell - edges and 3x3
6) Clearing the 3rd/orange center - Partially filling in columns of orange pieces
7) Solving the remainder of the orange center using the 4-move commutator r2 u' r2 u
8) Solving the 4th/yellow center
9) Solving the last two (red + white) centers

I've started the first bit of the solve. Progress so far, at just over 2 hours into the solve:
XLsA8DI.png

How are you gonna collab on this? I would love to join, if this is still a thing.

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
Not being familiar with ultra-big cube strategies, what is meant by 'cleaning'? From the image it's obviously denoting the change from a totally jumbled face to the obviously green face; how is the 'static' left behind determined, aka is the solver initially drawing from only four other faces or is something else the cause?

soup

YouTube
Visit Channel
Not being familiar with ultra-big cube strategies, what is meant by 'cleaning'? From the image it's obviously denoting the change from a totally jumbled face to the obviously green face; how is the 'static' left behind determined, aka is the solver initially drawing from only four other faces or is something else the cause?

The cleaning step = partially solving the center columns using nU/nU2/nU' moves to draw in pieces from the middle ring of faces, roughly as follows: