• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2-Gen vs. Regular Algorithms

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, there are some algorithms that ae fast one-handed when you do the 2-gen version but there are also algorithms that are a few moves longer than when you do the regular version. Right now I use all my regular algorithms for OH, but should I make the switch to 2-gen? I know the 2-gen of the H permutation but it is a little bit longer than what I do now, so is it really better? Maybe I just need to get used to it?

Which do you prefer, regular or 2-gen algs for one-handed solving?

tenderchkn

H-perm is a special case...I use the one that starts with L'RU2, but with a lot of cube rotations that I can't explain. Same thing with Z-perm, you can use the 2-gen but a variation of the Dan Knights alg is very fast 1h.

gillesvdp

As for me, I use the Z-Perm 2-Gen algorithm.

But for the H-Perm, I do L' R' U2 l L U z L x U2 R' L'
It seems complicated but I find it faster than the regular L' R' U2 R L y L' R' U2 R L.

Just try it. :)

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Z Perm: U R x' U' (R' D) (U R') (U D') R' U R D2

H Perm: R2 U2 R U2 R2 U2 R2 U2 R U2 R2

All of the R2s are done a ring-pinky double trigger. The U2s I just flick my index finger twice.

My Z Perm is 4.35-4.6, and my H Perm is easily sub 4.

gillesvdp

just a question : how do you time your PLLs ?

I suppose you use a stackmat but do you start with the cube in your hand or the cube lying on the table ? (and how to you stop it ? - flat hand ? - touch the pad when the permutaiton is done ?)

I personally time everything with the cube lying on the table and by stopping the timer like at the end of an official solve in a competition.

GIlles

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use a stackmat, but I start with the cube in my hand. I stop the timer flat hand. I like timing this way better than starting with the cube on the table and picking it up because it is more representative of an actual solve. You lose some time by picking the cube up, so executing the same alg on an actual solve would (theoretically) be faster without the time lost. That's why I start the timer with the cube in hand.