• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] 14.27 avg5 [Speed-Heise]

mDiPalma

lots of room for improvement

Average of 5: 14.27
13.62, (18.60), 12.28, 16.91, (12.25)
52 htm, xxx, 49 htm, 61 htm, 42 htm

RennuR

Haven't seen Heise solves in ages, a really cool method, a very advanced one for sure. I can definetly see what you mean by room for improvement, some of those pauses could be eliminated, cant wait to see the potential for some of these averages.

Nice job.

mDiPalma

Yeah I'm still alive - took a bit of a break. That's why some of these solves have atrocious blockbuilding lol.

In reality, these solves are just ZZ/Petrus (all these happen to be ZZ) with the Speed-Heise alg set. Pure Heise-style F2L is just not suited for speedsolves - I rarely even get sub-20 using it.

Speed-Heise inserts the last F2L pair while solving all 4 LL edges and 1 LL corner, leaving L3C (or a LL skip 1 in 27 solves). I only know 24 out of the 72 Speed-Heise cases, but they're trivial to set up.

RennuR

Yeah I'm still alive - took a bit of a break. That's why some of these solves have atrocious blockbuilding lol.

In reality, these solves are just ZZ/Petrus (all these happen to be ZZ) with the Speed-Heise alg set. Pure Heise-style F2L is just not suited for speedsolves - I rarely even get sub-20 using it.

Speed-Heise inserts the last F2L pair while solving all 4 LL edges and 1 LL corner, leaving L3C (or a LL skip 1 in 27 solves). I only know 24 out of the 72 Speed-Heise cases, but they're trivial to set up.

Ah gotchya, that first solve though looked total Heise to me, although I must say I dont do petrus or ZZ haha. Anyway welcome back :)

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01

Good stuff.
Were you trying to be - or are you - ZZ/Petrus neutral?

mDiPalma

Were you trying to be - or are you - ZZ/Petrus neutral?

I usually use ZZ (maybe 90%), but if I see 10-12 bad edges or a particularly nice 2x2x2 block I will use a restricted version of Petrus (white/yellow bottom, and the *3* of my 3x2x2 will be on one of my ZZ L-R colors, so my EO recognition isn't screwed up). To me that's easier than being y-axis neutral on ZZ.

mDiPalma

it's around as good as your ZZ snake pattern method

tbh it's a mediocre, overhyped, & dishonest method

1) they say your expected movecount is 40-50 htm.

TSLE = 10.37
TTLL = 15.21
AUFS = 3*3/4

that means your LS & LL is 28 moves on average

that means you have to build your EOF2L-1 in 12-22 moves in order to meet their expected movecount of 40-50 moves listed on the wiki. that's especially bogus considering you're gonna leave your FR slot for last.

2) they say you get a LL skip

so do people in the roux method - this is a silly claim

in ZZ-ct you have

-tsle (1 look)
-ttll (1 look)

in a regular ZZ solve you have

-last pair (you should see this during your 2nd/3rd pair - it's doesn't even deserve it's own look)
-oll/coll (1 look)
-pll/epll (1 look)

you aren't skipping the LL - you are only skipping your 4th pair look-ahead lol

3) they say it's better than WV/SV

but for WV:

set up case = ~6
WV = 8
PLL = 11.8 moves
AUF = 4*3/4

even if you round up your LS & LL is only 30 moves, that's only 2 more than ZZ-CT.....
with 4x fewer algs (and everyone already knows them all)
better recognition

tl;dr in my opinion, it's not good at all

Reactions: TDM

efattah

I usually use ZZ (maybe 90%), but if I see 10-12 bad edges or a particularly nice 2x2x2 block I will use a restricted version of Petrus (white/yellow bottom, and the *3* of my 3x2x2 will be on one of my ZZ L-R colors, so my EO recognition isn't screwed up). To me that's easier than being y-axis neutral on ZZ.

I have always believed that the distant future of speedcubing will be to select one of many different methods, based on the scramble itself. And I mean totally different methods, not similar methods.

Last edited: