• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Grammar/Spelling

How do you rate my grammar/spelling?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoot1510

WCA
2009TOLO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First, Take a survey how you rate my grammar/spelling.
If you vote Great or Good, how do you actually understand me.
If you vote Bad or Poor, Explain why I have bad/poor grammar and how should I improve on it. Please, I don't want people talking about my poor grammar/spelling. This is the only thread that you can say about me.

Last edited:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
You don't want people to talk about your grammar/spelling, and yet you make a whole thread focusing on it. A bit counterproductive, don't you think?

You obviously realize that your writing skills need work (or you wouldn't have made this poll), so why don't you do something about it? With more study and practice, this is something you can (and should) improve. As for how you should improve, this is probably something you can discuss with your English teacher.

Perhaps you should take up reading. And by reading I mean good literature, books, newspapers, etc. Pick up some books on grammar while you're at it. Exposing yourself to proper grammar and spelling will help you develop better grammar and spelling in your own writing.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is annoying waste so I voted "poor" simply because it's the closest thing to virtually punching you in the face that I can do.

Seriously, can people please stop whining here about stuff like that? If you have personal issues, go see a psychiatrist. You are *not* worth talking about.

shoot1510

WCA
2009TOLO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is annoying waste so I voted "poor" simply because it's the closest thing to virtually punching you in the face that I can do.

Seriously, can people please stop whining here about stuff like that? If you have personal issues, go see a psychiatrist. You are *not* worth talking about.

Everytime when I post in other threads people just now post about my grammar/spelling in till I don't post.

shoot1510

WCA
2009TOLO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How come when I sign up on the other forums, people understand me what I post. And when I sign up on your site. Nobody understand me, and that really really weird.
No one talk about my grammar on the other forum, only this forum is complaining about my grammar/spelling.:mad:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Oh.... wow....

Someone in another thread was trying to back you up. They said, "I don't see why people make such a big deal over nothing".

But you've just made a whole thread about it. Congratulations. High five for completely missing the point.

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How come when I sign up on the other forums, people understand me what I post. And when I sign up on your site. Nobody understand me, and that really really weird.
No one talk about my grammar on the other forum, only this forum is complaining about my grammar/spelling.:mad:

@ shoot1510: That is because people on other, less intelligent forums don't use good grammar themselves. This is one of the few forums where *most* of the members try to be articluate. You should use the spelling check on your posts, though.

@everybody: I go to school with shoot and try to help him work on grammar/spelling. It is very hard, because as posted in another thread he is mentally disabled. I'll do what I can to help.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
You should use the spelling check on your posts, though.

I don't think a spell check would help. The spelling is fine for the most part. They are real words, just used incorrectly.

By the way, you should change your sig... you still don't get it.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First, Take a survey how you rate my grammar/spelling.
If you vote Great or Good, how do you actually understand me.
If you vote Bad or Poor, Explain why I have bad/poor grammar and how should I improve on it. Please, I don't want people talking about my poor grammar/spelling. This is the only thread that you can say about me.

I voted "bad". I can kind of make out what you're saying but it takes a lot of effort. I will try my best to give you a short lesson now:

"First, Take a survey how you rate my grammar/spelling."

1) The "t" in "take" does not need to be capitalised.
2) We are not the ones taking the survey, you are. You should say "First, take this survey..."
3) You haven't told us that this survey is about your spelling and grammar, you have only said there is a survey, then the rest of the sentence is incoherent. you should say "... survey on how...
The final product should look like this:
"First, take this survey on how you rate my grammar/spelling."

"If you vote Great or Good, how do you actually understand me."

1) You have already told us to take the survey and you can expect that we have already done so, therefore you need to use the past tense of "vote", namely, "voted".
2) You are quoting your own options for the survey, therefore you have to put quote marks around the options, namely, "Great" and "Good".
3) This part is very difficult, but my best interpretation is that you are asking for an explanation as to how it is that we can understand you, therefore you need to say "please explain how it is that you can actually ..." I am doing a considerable amount of interpretation here though so I might have missed your point.
4) I don't think there is any need for the "actually". It seems to be unecessary to the substance of the sencence.
"If you voted "Great" or "Good", please explain how it is that you can understand me."
I still don't think this sentence makes any sense though.

"If you vote Bad or Poor, Explain why I have bad/poor grammar and how should I improve on it."

1) Points 1) and 2) from before.
2) "Explain" does not need to be capitalised.
3) You're asking for help, so use your manners; say "please".
4) I think it makes more sense to say "how I could improve". We have already established that you should improve on it; now we need to know how.
"If you voted "Bad" or "Poor", please explain why I have bad/poor grammar and how I could improve on it."

"Please, I don't want people talking about my poor grammar/spelling."

I guess this sentence is fine, although you shouldn't use the word "poor", when you have not yet established that it is poor; this is the point of the survey.
"Please, I don't want people talking about my grammar/spelling."

"This is the only thread that you can say about me."

My best guess for this sentence is "This is the last thread in which I want people mentioning my bad grammar/spelling". I have no idea how to break this up into points, it's just a mess.

As far as I can remember, this is the most help I have ever tried to give anybody on these forums ever, so you better appreciate it.

EDIT: I should add that the best advice you can take is Shelley's. If you want to learn to write I strongly recommend reading a lot. Even so that may not help; I was always big on reading but it wasn't until I started in university that I was able to write well. Even now I have to go over and over what I say to make sure it is perfect. Just take your time when you are writing a post and go over it before you post it. Say it out loud if you have to; if you can speak coherently then just type it up the same way you would say it. It should be obvious to you when something doesn't sound right if you say it out loud.

Last edited:

soccerking813

I personally do not find it hard at all to understand what you mean. You rea;;y aren't that bad at English, just a few things that you haven't learned or whatever. It is hard to be perfect in a language you didn't learn when you were very young.

It may just be my style of reading that makes it easy for my to understand. I just read a sentence and, in my subconscious, pick out the main words in it. For example, when Shoot said:
I picked out the words: "First, Take a survey how you rate my grammar/spelling.
That is Survey, rate, my grammar/spelling. So obviously he means, "Take a survey to rate my grammar and spelling."

It just takes a little scanning and not paying attention to little things.

shoot1510

WCA
2009TOLO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally do not find it hard at all to understand what you mean. You rea;;y aren't that bad at English, just a few things that you haven't learned or whatever. It is hard to be perfect in a language you didn't learn when you were very young.

It may just be my style of reading that makes it easy for my to understand. I just read a sentence and, in my subconscious, pick out the main words in it. For example, when Shoot said:
I picked out the words: "First, Take a survey how you rate my grammar/spelling.
That is Survey, rate, my grammar/spelling. So obviously he means, "Take a survey to rate my grammar and spelling."

It just takes a little scanning and not paying attention to little things.
I was trying to my best scanning words, editing, use spell check, read twice if there mistakes, sounding words and replace words to make it simple for you to understand.
If I have a poor grammar/spelling, whatever post or thread I make is automatically useless.
It took me about 5 min to post a reply because I was afraid that you guys are going to complain.

Last edited:

Hakan

WCA
2008DENI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was trying to my best scanning words, editing, use spell check, read twice if there mistakes, sounding words and replace words to make it simple for you to understand.
If I have a poor grammar/spelling, whatever post or thread I make is automatically useless.
It took me about 5 min to post a reply because I was afraid that you guys are going to complain.

It doesn't matter how much effort you put in checking your text if you've never learned basic grammar. I think it's better if you study English more before saying you've done everything you can and thereby excusing yourself from not being able to write correct English.

Good luck.

shoot1510

WCA
2009TOLO01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It doesn't matter how much effort you put in checking your text if you've never learned basic grammar. I think it's better if you study English more before saying you've done everything you can and thereby excusing yourself from not being able to write correct English.

Good luck.

My Language Art teacher is not reviewing about Grammar because we are practicing for the state Test(NJASK), and I never learn Grammar for 2 years from 6th and 7th grade.

Last edited:

soccerking813

Good luck.

Wow, way to real nice. From my point of view, you are telling him that he is horrible at English and should get better at it before he uses these forums. But I am sure you didn't mean it like that.

@shoot: I was telling people who were reading your posts to just look for the mian idea by scanning, not you. I understand how hard it is to write a language that you do not know well and are not comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.