• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Proposal: The Grammar and Spelling sub-forum

goatseforever

YouTube
Visit Channel
Here at SpeedSolving.com, we are connoisseurs of the English language. Recently I have begun to notice that many threads have been derailed by bickering over spelling and grammar. While proper spelling and grammar is certainly essential to the livelihood of any internet forum, I believe constant corrections are a distraction to read and divert focus from the intended topic. Therefore, I submit to you the Spelling and Grammar sub-forum. Here users can discuss grammar tips, help correct other user's posts, and share stories about how proper grammar and spelling changed your e-life.

Some quick thread ideas for this proposed sub-forum:

The Grammar and Spelling Corrections Thread: Users may call out posts in other threads that do not follow the standards of proper spelling and/or grammar. The user may link the offending post and make the necessary corrections, and possibly include a snide remark about the original poster's intelligence or age. This way, we can consolidate all corrections into a single thread, without derailing every other thread on the forum.

Non-English Majors Say The Darnedest Things!: Users may share stories about times in life when we caught other people making grammatical errors. Laughs will be shared by all!

Grammar Pet Peeves: Users may share the latest grammar or spelling mistake getting on his or her nerves. Someone used "your" instead of "you're?" Improper lowercase "i's" getting you down? Apostrophes not being used correctly? Vent your frustrations here!

Of course, these are just some of the limitless potential threads to be made!

The following is an artist's rendition of the proposed sub-forum:
grammar.jpg

With the Grammar and Spelling sub-forum we can together ensure that the posts on this website conform to the rules of the English language, and make browsing SpeedSolving.com a more pleasurable experience for all.

Sincerely,

Goatse Forever

Last edited:

maggot

Recently I began to notice that many threads have been derailed by bickering over spelling and grammar.

edit: fixed

Recently noticing (in a sarcastic way) is assuming the past. Using a past participle with have seems correct, but it's not. Unless you really only started noticing recently (not sarcastic) the correct word is began.

Last edited:

edd5190

WCA
2007ADSU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, what's the point about correcting people from another thread if they won't see it

Fine, I'll correct you right here:

The phrase

suggests that a fact or a statement that declares something to be true will follow, but you continue with a question:

what's the point of this entire thread?

I have a question for you: your grammar needs improvement.

Whyusosrs?

I haven't laughed this hard at anything on the internet in a long time. The picture is worth 1001 words.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really liked that "artist's rendition".

I know this topic was meant in jest, but I think we could really benefit from a sticky topic pointing out the various points of grammar, so that we could just link annoying noobs to it, instead of wasting multiple pages arguing over the finer issues. An example of this idea can be found here.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really liked that "artist's rendition".

I know this topic was meant in jest, but I think we could really benefit from a sticky topic pointing out the various points of grammar, so that we could just link annoying noobs to it, instead of wasting multiple pages arguing over the finer issues. An example of this idea can be found here.

Remember when FFR was down for what seemed like forever?