Yellow Bird is a 3x3 method invented by nuclearaven in 2020 for the first Method Development Competition.
The Yellow Bird method, named after the car "Ruf Yellow Bird" because of its <RUF> reduction after the first step, was designed for the Method Development Competition August 2020 by a team consisting of five members: nuclearaven, WarriorCatCuber, Caden, slowhandzboi, and LeumaZZ. Out of the six methods that were made for that competition, Yellow Bird placed 2nd at 20% of the votes, tied with L2L5.
- 2x2x2 block: To perform <RUF> reduction, a 2x2x2 block is built in LBD. (~ 5 moves)
- Pseudo 2x2x3 block: A 1x2x2 square which includes the FR pair is solved on the F face and aligned so that it forms a Pseudo 2x2x3 together with the 2x2x2. (~ 8 moves)
- BR Square: A 1x2x2 square is built in BR to form a 2x2x3 block with the 2x2x2 one from the start. (~ 10 moves)
- Last Slot: The last slot is solved to finish F2L. In order to do this, F RU F' techniques are used to solve the pair into UF and an F' is performed to finish F2L. Alternatively, it is also possible to perform the F' first when the last F2L edge is oriented and finish F2L <LU>-gen. (~ 7 moves)
- Last Layer: Any last layer method, e.g. OLL + PLL, can now be used to finish the last layer of the cube.
During the last slot, approaches like SOLL (solves OLL when the pair is in FRd, like after the setup F R U' R'), solving EO and CP to be left with 2GLL or forcing TUL ZBLLs can be used to influence the last layer.
- Rotationless solve
- Relatively low movecount
- Many options for Last Layer
- Influencing the next step is relatively easy
- Good use of inspection: Planning all of p223 is possible
- Flexibility: The solve can be started with a regular 223, p222 or even XEOLine
- Regrips and overturning (especially in R2s and F2s)
- Lookahead is hindered by the blindspot in DR
- No slot neutrality
- Intuitive solving during F2L can limit TPS
The following is an example Yellow Bird solve from the proposal.
Scramble: R2 B2 L U F2 R2 F2 D2 R2 U' L2 U2 R' B D' U L' F U2 y2 U R2 F' u L E L D2 // 222 R2 F' R D R2 D' F // p223 U' R U' R' U R2 // BR square U' R' U' R U2 R' F' // F2L U' R' F' R r' F' r U R' F R // OLL U' R U R' U R' U' R2 U' R' U R' U R // PLL
This example solves uses EO influencing for the last slot:
Scramble: U2 L' B2 R F2 R' B2 L' U2 B2 D2 F R2 D' F R' B' D' U L' F2 D' B' U L' // 222 R' U R' U R F2 // p223 U' F' U' F R' U' F R' F' // BR square U R U R' U' F' // F2L + EO R' U F U' F' U2 R F R' U R U2 F' U' // ZBLL
More example solves can be found in the proposal.